1Password extension always asks to be installed MacOS Mojave PB2

spearson
spearson
Community Member
edited July 2018 in Mac

When filling in a login via 1Password Mini using Firefox, it asks me to install the browser extension again even though I see it installed in the browser toolbar. I installed the extension yesterday and today, it asked to install it again unless you updated it since.

I'm running MacOS Mojave PB2, 10.14 Beta (18A326h) and Firefox 61.01 and 1Password v7.0.7. All programs and operating system is up to date as of 7/11/18.

I haven't checked Safari yet as I use Firefox as my main browser but can check it if needed.

Let me know if you need additional information. I haven't reported this to Apple yet as I wanted to reach out to the developer first.

1Password Version: 7.0.7
Extension Version: 4.7.2.90
OS Version: 10.14 Beta (18A326h)
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• spearson
    spearson
    Community Member

I was asked to install the browser extension for Firefox for the third time just now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@spearson: I'm not sure this has anything to do with Mohave. We see issues like that occasionally even on stable OS releases. It's likely the browser itself is having some issues preventing 1Password from connecting to it normally. Definitely drag it to the Trash, install a fresh copy, and try a new profile if that doesn't work. Also make sure that both the browser and 1Password are installed in /Applications. Let me know what you find.

• spearson
    spearson
    Community Member

@brenty, thanks for the reply. I completely removed Firefox including the profiles folder and trashed it and downloaded a fresh copy. Both Firefox and 1Password are located in the Applications folder. I'll keep an eye on it for a few days and keep you posted.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the update! Sounds good. Hopefully you won't run into any further issues, but we're here if you need us. :)

• spearson
    spearson
    Community Member

@brenty, It looks like the issue is back.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@spearson: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm still not able to reproduce that here though. Did you subsequently install other software or extensions that are interfering with communication between 1Password and Firefox? I can't imagine that Mohave could be causing this, but it's not something I could rule out either. I do suspect there's something more browser-related that's different between your setup and mine though.

• spearson
    spearson
    Community Member

@brenty Thanks for the quick reply. no other software or Firefox extensions that I know of has been installed, just the stock Firefox browser and 1Password extension. I've completely uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox from scratch and removed the old profiles folder as well.

If it comes down to it, I wouldn't mind reinstalling MacOS Mojave as it's installed on a second partition on my SSD. My setup is High Sierra, my main system on one partition and MacOS Mojave beta on the second partition.

Let me know if you need additional information for troubleshooting.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@spearson: Reinstalling the OS isn't a fun thing (for most people, at least). I'd hope there would be another solution. Do you have the same problem with Chrome and Safari? I recognize that Firefox may be your browser of choice, but that might help us determine if it's something specific to that or a larger problem.

• spearson
    spearson
    Community Member

@brenty: I see, reinstalling the OS can be a pain in the butt but as a last resort, I wouldn't be against it as it's only a beta. It could even be an issue with Firefox as it might not be fully optimized for Mojave. It could even be an extension issue with the browser itself.

I plan to post to the Firefox forms as well in case it's an issue with the Firefox browser and Mojave.

I can try in Chrome and Safari and see if the issue appears in those browsers.

Thanks and will keep you posted.

• Thanks for the update @spearson. :) We look forward to further troubleshooting this issue with you.

Ben

• Asyd Rayn
    Asyd Rayn
    Community Member

I have the same issue, although it tells me to give it permission in system settings/privacy and I go and it's there and already checked.

• @Asyd Rayn

Would you be able to post a screenshot of that message, please?

Ben

• Asyd Rayn
    Asyd Rayn
    Community Member

Hey @Ben, here's the first popup

Here's the second image showing that the setting is already active.

• rudy
    edited July 2018

@Asyd Rayn

if you uncheck the "automatically sign in after filling usernames and passwords" then it should stop prompting you. The checkbox and its associated script will be removed in a future beta of 1Password.

• Asyd Rayn
    Asyd Rayn
    Community Member

Hey, @rudy I gave it a try, went into preferences/browser and unticked it and no dice, it still pops up.

• Hmm. That’s strange. In either case this should be resolved when we remove the script.

Ben

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

"In either case this should be resolved when we remove the script."

Good

• :+1:

Ben

• spearson
    spearson
    Community Member

I found that if I disable the 1Password extension and enable it again in Firefox, it works as it should, allowing me to auto fill a login without me reinstalling the extension so I guess I can do this in the meantime until you can come out with a fix.

• spearson
    spearson
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

I also have a bug report for this with Firefox at Bugzilla Let me know if I should mark it as resolved over there if it's a 1Password extension issue. Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@spearson - thanks. I don't believe it is a 1Password extension issue per se, as this is related to the eventual shuttering of the auto-submit feature altogether by Apple in upcoming releases. It's just not clear (at least, not to me, at this point) how much progress towards that has been made yet.

• spearson
    spearson
    Community Member

@Lars thanks for clarification. If Apple does shutter the auto submit feature, I hope you have a backup or a plan b in place. Should I report this issue to Apple via the feedback app so they will be aware of it and hopefully address it in a future beta, fingers crossed.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@spearson - I wouldn't bother filing this with Apple. This isn't a bug or something they're not aware of; the decision to disallow auto-submit is a very conscious one, and I'd be gobsmacked if they decided to change that. It's also not something we're going to be able to "work around" or "plan B." It's just not going to exist any longer. Apple decided that submitting, in the way that we and some other apps do, is the same mechanism as how malware installs itself. They're not wrong, either in their analysis, or their decision to remove that capability as a security mechanism. To be clear, you'll still be able to autofill...but you won't be able to use one command to both fill and submit a login form after filling. It will, by design, require some interaction/consent from you in the future.

• spearson
    spearson
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

@Lars Thanks for the quick reply and additional clarification. I don’t mind manually submitting the login. Apple might come up with a solution for this, who knows.

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

@lars OK no more "autosubmit"
    hopefully you'll put your energy so that 1P fills in correctly all the fields
    Thanks

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

Note that iCloud.com already prevents autosubmit in Firefox, Safari, and Safari Technology Preview in both macOS 10.12.6 and 10.14 through beta 4.

I often experience odd results installing extensions in multiple browsers. These are usually remedied by one or more retries with possible restart.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Gilles9 @xz4gb8 and @spearson - I don't have a crystal ball, here. I suppose it's remotely possible that either Apple or we will be able to come up with a solution that satisfies everyone and restores auto-submit functionality on macOS. But as a security company employee, I gotta go with a positive review of anything that meaningfully improves security. And as much as I hate to lose the autosubmit functionality, this does.

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

8-) I have clients that will be perturbed, but will tell them to get over it.

I was surprised by the iCloud.com change, but the extra [ keystrokes | mouse clicks ] are not really a problem. It 'just works' with 1Password otherwise.

• :+1:

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

For what it's worth, we do put a lot of time and effort into not only improving 1Password so that it fills correctly everywhere it can, but we also consciously try to have it leave focus in the password field after filling. That way, with most sites, you can easily press Return to submit it. We haven't had autosubmit on iOS for years, and while it does come up from time to time, for the most part people understand, and it isn't a huge hardship. It is difficult losing a convenience like this, but the hard part is filling, and where we can have 1Password do that, pressing Return or clicking the "sign in" button (this is necessary or some sites always) isn't so terrible. But we're always working to find ways to make it easier too, so perhaps we can come up with something else in the future. :)

This discussion has been closed.