(RfE) improved "favicon" lookup? Icons aren't added from modern sites with weird/unusual setups

MsgLosers
MsgLosers
Community Member
edited July 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I'm using 1Password mainly in Chrome (extension) and on the Windows 10 platform (natively via the Windows app). I also use it on the phone; iOS.

the issue I'm looking at is not the fault of 1Password but rather the way some modern sites implement themes and weird stuff that I have no idea about.

Specifically I'm looking at the issue of "favicon" when the icon isn't saved as extension .ico or in the root dir...

Example site:
https://www.komplett.no

Favicon:
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/mlf/skins/komplettno/prod/favicon.ico?v=1685.0.0-Marek18"/>

.../favicon.ico?v=1685.0.0-Marek18
what the actual.... never seen this before :dizzy:

At this point my head goes "wtf". This is some web-magic I don't understand. The URL works, browser understands the file as a favicon; shows up in the browser and all... Can this work in 1Password? I'm sure you'd need to revise how you identify favicons (again..sorry..I noticed these similar issues had been on the forums previously; damn web devs) :chuffed:

Can/will this be a feature in future 1Password? Gets annoying with some saved sites not having an icon and, lazy as I am, don't bother downloading it manually... Perhaps a nice middleground to save devtime would be a "get from URL" type of option similarly to how you already have a "change icons from file..." <-local file; adding the url to the browser window doesn't work, sadly...

EDIT:
I tried adding the above to 1Password manually. Interesting observations:

• The file downloaded as "favicon.ico" and was identified as such by Windows.

• Adding the file via 1Password's "Change icons from file..." option did not work. Dialogue window closed but icon did not update. This option did not work for this file; works for other favicon files.

• On Windows I copied the file itself (Ctrl+C) and used 1Password's "Change icon from clipboard..." option. This worked for this file

1Password Version: 7.1.567
Extension Version: 4.7.1.4
OS Version: Win 10, OS X, iOS
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:icons

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MsgLosers: Since your post doesn't seem to have anything to do with the 1Password X beta, I've moved it to the Windows category of the forum.

I'm sorry for the confusion here though. 1Password doesn't use favicons at all, as they're incredibly old and low quality. Instead, we add high res Rich Icons to our own database for popular sites, and 1Password supports the user adding Custom Icons in popular image formats (PNG, JPEG, etc.) But as you discovered, Windows can help when you use the system clipboard, since it handles image processing in that case.

Anyway, I hope that helps clarify things. Thanks for the feedback! :)

• Hi,

Just want to expand on Brenty's post, we don't fall back to favicons like we used to in 1Password 4, it'll just show the generic Login icon. There will be an update soon to use colorful monograms that we just added to 1Password 7 on macOS.

We do plan to improve our Rich Image service in the future to support grabbing high resolution icons if the site has it.

• MsgLosers
    MsgLosers
    Community Member

Hey @brenty and @MikeT
    Thank you so much for your replies in the thread! This is making a lot of sense by the behavior. Thanks for clarifying this over the forums.

Sorry if I posted it in the wrong forum section. I downloaded the beta (X?) on all devices ("I'm feeling experimental" or "adventurous" or whatever that page said) so I assumed it was the appropriate area! :)

Kindly yours.

• Hi @MsgLosers,

You're welcome and no worries about the wrong area, we're always happy to move threads to the right place. We do not expect anyone to know the right place all the time.

This discussion has been closed.