To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Can't find my secret key

liaemars
liaemars
Community Member

Long story short I went from an iPhone to an Android and can't remember where I saved my secret key. I've seen an email that says "your secret key starts with...." so I know that I actually have an account, but I can't find this key anywhere and thus do not have all of my important passwords. Any help here? Thank you

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @liaemars, I'm sorry to hear about the lost Secret Key! Do you by any chance still have access to your old iPhone? If so, you can find your secret key within 1Password on that iPhone under Settings > Accounts and tapping on your account.

If you don't have access to your iPhone anymore, there are a few other ways you can try to recover it:

https://support.1password.com/secret-key/

Let me know how that goes and we'll continue from there.

• Bronson
    Bronson
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

Hi Meek, I found your thread and my question is, where do I get my secret key from as I lost it?
    I purchased the license back in july 2015 and want to put it on a new laptop but can't sign in as no Key, any ideas?
    NO I don't have an emergency kit.

The "Find your Secret Key in your 1Password account" is obviously useless as I can't sign in without the key
    Yes I have also looked in the 1passowrd apps but nothing.
    Any ideas would be good, thnx

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @Bronson! I think your case might be one of definitions: licenses and 1password.com accounts are not the same thing. The only way you would have had a Secret Key would be if you visited the main 1Password sign-up page and created one. If you purchased a license in 2015, that's different: a standalone license for 1Password for Mac, version 6, only.

To be clear, that license never expires -- you can use it to license 1Password 6 for Mac on as many Macs as you own/use that version of 1Password for Mac on. But it doesn't allow you to use version 7, nor any other platform (Windows, etc). You can download the final . version of 1Password 6 for Mac (6.8.9) from our downloads page (scroll down until you see "Running an older OS?), and install it, but I'd recommend you either purchase an upgraded license for version 7 or - much better - become a 1password.com member and transition to a 1password.com account. All four of our 1Password apps (Mac, Window, iOS and Android) are included with every 1password.com account, and all future upgrades as well for as long as you maintain the account. Let us know if you have any questions! :)

• Bronson
    Bronson
    Community Member

Hi Lars, thank you for this info. Yes you're correct I do have 1PW 6 for mac. I am now wanting to download all the passwords incase I loose 1PW or something unexpected happens, so how could I save all the PW from 1PW? thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Bronson: The 1Password desktop apps save backup archives periodcally to 1Password's support folder. So if you're making full backups of your computer, those will be included. :) But, better yet, with a 1Password membership automatically backs up the data in your account offsite, so if you're using that you'll be able to get your data back just by signing into your account, even if all your devices are lost, stolen, or destroyed. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.