Can't pin or open logins in a new window

Options

Am I missing something or is it not possible to open 1Password X logins in a new window (or pin them) like you can in the standard Chrome extension.

1Password Version: 7.0.7
Extension Version: 1.8.1
OS Version: 10.13.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• dalton
    Options

Hey @Andrew Rogoff! It's possible to have 1Password X open a new tab and fill a Login item clicking Go on any Login item with a URL in the popup. Unfortunately, 1Password X doesn't have the ability to pin any items. That feature is unique to the 1Password extension.

• Andrew Rogoff
    Andrew Rogoff
    Community Member
    Options

Oh really? I think that's a mistake as it's a really useful feature. Without it, if 1Password doesn't fill the fields in correctly (which happens frequently), you have to click multiple times to get the data you need. I'm wondering why you think something that was considered good enough to add to the Chrome extension is no longer good enough to add to 1Password X? I'm going back to the Chrome extension in the meantime. I have to say, 1Password X is a retrograde step in many ways (including the multiple extra clicks that aren't necessary in the Chrome extension). Sorry!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Andrew Rogoff: Well, I don't disagree with you, but we're limited in what we can do because 1Password X runs entirely in the browser. Where is it going to pin it? ;) What you're really saying is that the native 1Password Mac app is more capable, running in the OS, than something confined to the browser. I imagine that will always be the case.

• Andrew Rogoff
    Andrew Rogoff
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty How does the Chrome extension work? Where does it pin it? Doesn't it use Chrome to pin items rather than the Mac app?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Andrew Rogoff: If you're referring to our desktop extension for Chrome, it's essentially a shim that allows the native 1Password apps (Mac and Windows) to interact with the browser. Nearly all of that is handled by the app itself: the UI, filling logic, etc.

I'm not sure what you mean by "pin" though. Can you elaborate?

• Andrew Rogoff
    Andrew Rogoff
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Oh I see - didn't realise. I have another extension that can spawn small popup windows using Chrome itself. I am referring to this functionality:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Andrew Rogoff: It's definitely a bit confusing, as there are two 1Password extension "flavours". 1Password X is entirely self-sufficient. While we could ask Chrome to open 1Password.com in a new window, that's pretty annoying for a lot of people. Tabs are great, so we open item details that way, and the user can simply drag the tab outside the window to start a new window. With the 1Password desktop extensions, we have a lot more flexibility because the native app handles all of that outside the browser. I agree it could be cool to do something more like that in the future though, if we can find a way to make it as slick as the native app. :)

• Andrew Rogoff
    Andrew Rogoff
    Community Member
    Options

OK, thanks @brenty. Definitely a better experience in the old Chrome extension in my opinion. Thanks for the info!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad you're enjoying 1Password X! I'm personally a fan of our desktop extension since it can do a lot that 1Password X can't, being integrated with the 1Password app. But we've been able to do some really interesting stuff with 1Password X, and we'll "steal" the best stuff from each over time to improve the experience across the board. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.