I'm switching from LastPass to 1Password and there are some issues i'm having.

Hi, I just recently switched from LastPass which I've been using for over 3 years and i'm having some issues with 1password and I am hoping we can get them resolved so I can stay here.

1) I'm asked to enter my master password EVERY SINGLE TIME I use one of the apps. I even have "Use FaceID" set on my phone but when I open the app, MASTER PASSWORD, on my mac I set the 1Password app to never log me out but after I restart my computer, MASTER PASSWORD. The whole point of the Master Password, at least in my eyes is that it should be the most secure password you use since it cannot be stored in the 1Password app it has to be remembered. So if you make it memorable it's not secure, if you make it complex then you spend 20 minutes entering in your password everytime. I'm hoping I just have a setting off somewhere as the 1Password suite of apps are a bit confusing.

2) Password Generator. I want to use passwords across the entire platform that are the 5 words with a . in between, (ie box.target.license.boogy.donkey). Whenever I sign up for a new website it always brings up a suggested password like, (UFISDLusLFdsfldsLUFldsdLFhdghsdifusdiofi). I want to always use the 5 words with periods. It is a pain because I go to sign up for a new website it suggests the random password, then I have to open the app, ENTER MASTER PASSWORD (see above), and then copy a password from the app. The secondary problem with this is that because I retrieved the password from the app and not the browser extension sometimes it doesn't get saved and I have to do a password reset the next time I use that website.

3). This is less of a big deal but I keep encountering an error with the Chrome Extension 1Password X I think you call it. It doesn't seem to be syncing with my account and every time I try and add or change a password it tells me I'm not online. I am a software developer and I have to use Chrome for development but it is not my preferred browser it's my "Work" browser so I rarely need to store passwords with it.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1Password X 1.8.2
_OS Version:
Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Setup Issues

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@denvercoder: Thanks for reaching out, and for trying 1Password in the first place! :)

1) I'm asked to enter my master password EVERY SINGLE TIME I use one of the apps. I even have "Use FaceID" set on my phone but when I open the app, MASTER PASSWORD, on my mac I set the 1Password app to never log me out but after I restart my computer, MASTER PASSWORD.

To be clear, you should have to enter your Master Password after restarting your computer no matter what, as it is not saved anywhere.

However, I suspect that making some adjustments to your setup may help. You indicated that you're using only 1Password X in the version info you provided. If that's the case, keep in mind that when you close the browser, in which 1Password X is running, it will be locked again when you reopen it. We don't store your Master Password anywhere, so when the browser is killed so is 1Password X. You also may want to consider adjusting your security settings (click the "gear" icon and then Settings) there for when you have the browser open, so that it gives you enough time to use it again before locking after you stop:

The whole point of the Master Password, at least in my eyes is that it should be the most secure password you use since it cannot be stored in the 1Password app it has to be remembered. So if you make it memorable it's not secure, if you make it complex then you spend 20 minutes entering in your password everytime. I'm hoping I just have a setting off somewhere as the 1Password suite of apps are a bit confusing.

Fortunately that's not true at all: you can absolutely have a Master Password that is both strong and memorable. Check out this guide for some tips:

How to choose a good Master Password

It doesn't need to take you 20 minutes to enter it for it to be strong, and it doesn't need to be weak in order for you to be able to remember and type it.

2) Password Generator. I want to use passwords across the entire platform that are the 5 words with a . in between, (ie box.target.license.boogy.donkey).

Why? Word-based passwords can be useful in cases where you absolutely need to be able to remember and/or type them, but they will always be weaker than a character-based password of the same length...and in many case you won't even be able to use these with a website, when they have specific requirements for password composition.

Whenever I sign up for a new website it always brings up a suggested password like, (UFISDLusLFdsfldsLUFldsdLFhdghsdifusdiofi). I want to always use the 5 words with periods.

That said, you can always use the password generator in 1Password X, and it will also remember the last-used setting:

It is a pain because I go to sign up for a new website it suggests the random password, then I have to open the app, ENTER MASTER PASSWORD (see above), and then copy a password from the app.

Rather than copying and pasting from a menu, 1Password X can fill passwords for you on websites in most cases. Have you tried that?

Get to know 1Password X

The secondary problem with this is that because I retrieved the password from the app and not the browser extension sometimes it doesn't get saved and I have to do a password reset the next time I use that website.

Can you clarify? It sounds like you just need to save the new password in 1Password. Then you can use it again later, instead of doing a password reset.

3). This is less of a big deal but I keep encountering an error with the Chrome Extension 1Password X I think you call it. It doesn't seem to be syncing with my account and every time I try and add or change a password it tells me I'm not online. I am a software developer and I have to use Chrome for development but it is not my preferred browser it's my "Work" browser so I rarely need to store passwords with it.

Can you tell me the specific browser version you're using? Any other details of when this is happening may be helpful in troubleshooting why this is happening in your case as well.

Also, what OS version are you using? Are you using a native 1Password app there? Thanks in advance!

This discussion has been closed.