1Password 7 Windows Crashing Everytime it is opened

For the past month or so, everytime I try and open 1password for Windows, the program closes down. It usually crashes/closes after I have written two characters of the password. Upon re-opening, it says that it has crashed and whether I want to send the information to AgileBits, which I normally do.

I have tried uninstalling 1password several times. I have also attempted to install an older version of the software, hoping that might work. But nothing seems to work.

Grateful for any tips or support about what to do.

1Password Version: 7.1.567
Extension Version: 4.7.2.90
OS Version: Windows 10 v1803
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sagarkiritshah: I'm sorry to hear that. It sounds like something may be damaged. Where do you have your data? Are you using a 1Password.com account, or Dropbox to sync a local vault?

• sagarkiritshah
    sagarkiritshah
    Community Member

Thanks. Yes using a 1password.com family account. Fortunately I'm still able to access my vaults directly over the web, but is rather frustrating not to have the chrome add in (which seems to need the Windows 10 app to work).

• sagarkiritshah
    sagarkiritshah
    Community Member

This erorr message just popped up when I started windows. Not sure if it is helpful for finding a solution.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sagarkiritshah: Hmm. We typically see that kind of error when other software — usually a "security" suite or backup process — is locking 1Password's files when it's trying to access them. Do you have something running on your system which might be doing that?

In the mean time, if you're using a 1Password Families membership, 1Password X would allow you to access your data in Chrome since that's a self-contained extension that doesn't depend on the Windows app.

• sagarkiritshah
    sagarkiritshah
    Community Member

I have MalwareBytes (3.5.1) and BitDefender2018 installed on my machine. Will try 1PasswordX.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sagarkiritshah: 1Password X should work, since it's unlikely that those will block your browser from functioning. But are you able to whitelist 1Password's processes in those?

• Hi @sagarkiritshah,

Both AVs have been known to interfere with 1Password's installation, in fact we have a pinned thread about the previous MalwareBytes update here. First, please update Malwarebytes to make sure it is 3.5.1.2522 update with the component package version: 1.0.391.

Once you do that, you'll need to do a clean reinstall with this instruction:

1. Download the latest copy of 1Password from here but do not run yet: https://1Password.com/downloads/
    2. Uninstall all instances of 1Password using the Control Panel's Uninstall a program option. Note: Do not allow any third party uninstaller to clean up 1Password. Your 1Password data will not be affected.
    3. Open Windows File Explorer and enter %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password in the address bar. You should not see the app folder but if you do, move this to the desktop.
    4. Check for Windows updates, make sure to include all optional updates as well.
    5. Reboot your computer but do not open any browsers. Run the 1Password installer you've downloaded from step 1 and see if it works now.
  • sagarkiritshah
    sagarkiritshah
    Community Member

Thanks @MikeT and @brenty .

1password X works, which solves most of my immediate problems.

I've got the latest version of MalwareBytes installed (3.5.1.2522 update with the component package version: 1.0.391).

I've also tried adding the local host address and ports onto BitDefender, but struggled with adding the process (don't know how to do it, and couldn't find simple instructions when googling. Also think the process in this link https://support.1password.com/firewall-proxy/ might be out of date).

In anycase, 1password windows app still doesn't seem to be loading.

A malwarebytes scan is detecting the following files as a potential threat. Do you think quarantining them would cause a problem with 1password?

Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

• Hi @sagarkiritshah,

Regarding your Chrome files, these doesn't appear to be related to 1Password but we don't know if it is safe to ignore it, you'll need to find out what it is. It looks like these files handle your Chrome Sync settings.

Did you reinstall 1Password as per my instructions in the last post? You must reinstall 1Password, it's already damaged by the interference and cannot be repaired without reinstalling it cleanly.

Here's how to manually whitelist 1Password in BitDefender's firewall.

1. Open BitDefender and on the left side, click on [B] Protection tab, the first icon below the humburger icon
    2. Click "View Features >" in the Protection section.
    3. Look for Firewall section and click on its gear icon:
    4. In the Rules section, click on Add rule:
    5. Click Browse next to Program path and navigate to your user folder > AppData > Local > 1Password > app > 7 to select 1Password.exe:
    6. Set Permission to Allow, network type to Any Network, protocol to Any, and direction to Both.
    7. Press OK and 1Password should properly sync or check for updates without any issues now.

If nothing works, unfortunately, you'll have to reboot to Safe mode with Networking and see if 1Password can be reinstalled there without any interference and see if it works normally.

This discussion has been closed.