Options
jgoguen
jgoguen
Community Member
edited July 2018 in 1Password in the Browser

Fedora 28 x64
Firefox 61
1Password X from Mozilla Addons

I have a fresh Firefox profile. First thing I did was install 1Password X. Clicking the icon after the initial install loads moz-extension://2fb38ca8-6c96-45b9-9d88-0e549b43cf3f/app/app.html#/page/welcome, which lets me sign in to my 1Password account. It won't unlock after that, both when clicking the icon and using the keyboard shortcut the pop-up flashes for a second and disappears. If I log in to my.1password.com, the extension works fine until it locks (manually or automatically).

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/92950/blank-page-when-using-1password-x-in-firefox suggests this happens when "Never remember history" or "Always use private browsing mode" are selected. Neither are chosen for me and this is a fresh profile that's never had Private Browsing started. Also no settings changes, the browser settings are nearly the default settings from a fresh install (there's some site settings enforced, listed below).

If I open the browser console, three entries are shown every time the addon icon is clicked (even with addon debugging enabled):

app-mount took 23.0ms popup.js:1:231484
app-total took 23.0ms popup.js:1:231484
Unable to save popup state. popup.js:1:234769

I can right-click the icon and open Settings, which brings me to moz-extension://f976d7c8-1c56-474f-b30d-09ce98f91376/app/app.html#/page/settings where my 1Password account is shown and it says it's locked. Clicking on the account brings me to the 1password.com login form for my 1Password account, where I can log in and then the extension works fine until it locks again.

I mentioned above some site settings enforced. They are:

• app.shield.optoutstudies.enabled: false
  • browser.crashReports.unsubmittedCheck.autoSubmit2: false
  • browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.feeds.section.highlights: false
  • browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.feeds.section.topstories: false
  • browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.feeds.snippets: false
  • browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.prerender: false
  • browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.showSponsored: false
  • browser.startup.homepage: about:blank
  • browser.startup.page: 3 (Start where I left off last session)
  • datareporting.healthreport.uploadEnabled: false
  • extensions.screenshots.upload-disabled: true
  • extensions.update.autoUpdateDefault: true
  • extensions.update.enabled: true
  • extensions.update.interval: 1800
  • intl.accept_languages: en-ca,en-gb,en-us,en
  • media.eme.enabled: true
  • network.cookie.cookieBehavior: 3 (Accept cookies until they expire, third-party from visited sites only)
  • network.proxy.type: 5 (System Settings)
  • plugin.state.flash: 1
  • plugins.click_to_play: true
  • privacy.donottrackheader.enabled: true
  • privacy.trackingprotection.enabled: true
  • privacy.trackingprotection.pbmode.enabled: true
  • signon.rememberSignons: false

Is perhaps one of those specific settings the one blocking 1Password from working correctly? If I disable tracking protection for 1password.com the extension still doesn't work.

1Password Version: N/A
Extension Version: 1Password X Firefox
OS Version: Fedora 28 x64
Sync Type: 1Password X

Comments

• dalton
    Options

Thanks for reaching out to us about this, @jgoguen. I replied to the email you sent, but I'll repeat my thoughts here in case it helps others. The behavior you're describing sounds exactly like the current issue with Firefox and the ibus package:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/90011/lock-screen-issue-1password-x-for-firefox-on-ubuntu-18-04

I'd expected that implementing the workarounds listed there will allow you to unlock 1Password X from the popup again.

• jgoguen
    jgoguen
    Community Member
    Options

In Fedora, the downgraded ibus is the latest version shipped with Ubuntu 18.04. I use ibus pretty regularly and I haven't been able to replicate it with XIM. And I can't use Wayland, it crashes too often on my hardware and takes the whole session with it.

That post talks about patching ibus but doesn't give any info on what patch needs applying (or backporting). Which is a shame, I'm fairly comfortable with building new versions and would have gone that route.

• dalton
    Options

Thanks for clarifying your situation, @jgoguen. It looks like a developer from the ibus project on GitHub has a proposed patch that might work for you if you're wanting to patch things yourself.

• jgoguen
    jgoguen
    Community Member
    Options

Excellent, thanks! I’ll give that a shot, if it doesn’t work I guess I’ll just be back on Chrome for a while longer 🙂

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jgoguen: I can confirm that patch worked on Ubuntu, however, I haven't tried it on Fedora. Please do let us know if that doesn't work for you. My hope is this will get resolved for good, but these things take time in the Linux world.

-Beyer

• jgoguen
    jgoguen
    Community Member
    Options

I finally got a chance and patched Fedora's gnome-shell package, and it does indeed fix the problem. When the 1Password X dialog pops up it doesn't look like it has focus, but typing does input to the password field.

• dalton
    Options

I'm glad to hear that patch worked for you, @jgoguen. When you open the 1Password X popup, are you able to begin typing your Master Password right away or do you have to specifically select the input field first? It's possible that you're just seeing an existing bug where the cursor doesn't appear when input fields are focused in Firefox.

• jgoguen
    jgoguen
    Community Member
    Options

I can start typing right away, the cursor just doesn't appear until I start typing.

• dalton
    Options

@jgoguen: Thanks for clarifying! It sounds like you're just experiencing a visual bug with input cursors in Firefox then. It'd be a different issue if you weren't able to type your Master Password immediately after opening the popup.

• sammully
    sammully
    Community Member
    Options

If it helps anyone until things are patched, I pinned the 1password icon to the overflow menu in Firefox and was able to enter my master password in that state.

• Mitch
    Options

If it helps anyone until things are patched, I pinned the 1password icon to the overflow menu in Firefox and was able to enter my master password in that state.

Thanks for this tip @sammully, we'll try it out and see if we can add it to our stickied forum post. :)

This discussion has been closed.