Timing of 1p7 upgrade from 1p6 family plan

dberry
dberry
Community Member

I currently have a 1p6 family license (app only, without membership). I sync via DropBox. My wife and I each have a private vaults and 1 shared vault. My children each have private vaults and also synced with Dropbox.

I'm considering updating to 1p7 (family), possibly with a subscription, but I want to confirm I can update on my devices without messing up my wife and children's 1p6 vaults. That is, if I update, will my family still have a working version of the standalone 1p6 app / vaults until I invite them to update (after I'm convinced 1p7 with subscription is a Good Thing).

What will happen to our shared vault, if I update before she does?

Also, is there still a family option for the standalone 1p7?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.8.9 (689001) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: 10.13.5
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dberry: Great question! In fact, 1Password Families works essentially the same way you have things setup with Dropbox currently...except it's much easier to share additional vaults, and for everyone to setup 1Password on their devices: simply sign into your account, and you'll see all the vaults you have access to. You can get a good overview here:

Share passwords in 1Password Families

Regarding the standalone app, we discontinued selling "family" licenses for it many years ago since that was sort of confusing (different terms depending on where it was purchased), but we're glad to be able to offer 1Password Families memberships now since that makes it much easier to share securely with loved ones — both data and 1Password itself.

Back to the shared vault, you don't have to move data over from that until you're ready to do so. I'd actually encourage you to give 1Password.com a test run as an individual user to start so you can get a sense for how it can fit into your workflow, and your family's. It's easy to invite others at any point. If you decide to do that, let me know and I can offer some suggestions for making the switch.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.