1Password 7 convert categories to tags. Any way to expand collapse like accordion the tags?

Options
makis
makis
Community Member

Hello there,
It's a little frustrating that the 1Password 7 update destroy the classic category navigation tree. But I understand that it's a more UX/CX oriented changing.

Now i have a very very very big tree with always expanded tags that every time i need to roll to find my old categories.

Is there any way to collapse - expand this tag-like navigational tree?

Thanks

1Password Version: 7.0.7
Extension Version: 4.7.2.90
OS Version: mac OS 10.13.5
Sync Type: not

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @makis! Yes indeed, in 1Password 7 for Mac you should see a carat mark to the right of most of the main sections in the sidebar, which can be used to either expand or hide the section in question, like this:

Does that help?

• makis
    makis
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Lars. But it's only for the main category. The giant tree-like tags is still there....

• makis
    makis
    Community Member
    Options

I want every tag main category has a carat!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@makis - ah, OK, I understand what you're looking for now. There's currently no way to do this in 1Password 7 for Mac, but you are not the first person to request this, and I will definitely add your voice to the chorus requesting this ability. Thanks! :)

• makis
    makis
    Community Member
    Options

Thank a lot, Lars. I believe it is a minimum equivalent from the "violent removal" of the categories option! Do you have any timeline for this?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@makis - We don't normally pre-announce release dates for new features or changes to existing ones, as many factors (some beyond our control) affect them. We tend to work on things that are higher-priority first, and "higher priority" has a number of deciding factors: how many people are requesting something, whether it's a security/privacy issue, how much developer time something will take, etc. So I don't have anything to share because at this point I truly don't know.

• JimH
    JimH
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to add my support for this change. I have over 200 hundred logins and unless tag categories can be collapsed my home page would be far too long and cumbersome

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JimH - thanks for weighing in on this. :-)

• skhv
    skhv
    Community Member
    Options

A big +1 from my team.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @skhv! Thanks for making your wishes known on this matter -- it's something we've (clearly) heard once or twice before; we're looking into ways to make the tags feature more customizable and user-friendly.

ref: apple-596

• heimdalsgate
    heimdalsgate
    Community Member
    Options

Please, please, please make this available again. I manage a lot of customer's server credentials and have 100+ tags (former categories) in the sidebar. Being able to collapse nested tags is crucial. This is such a basic feature and was available before the v7 upgrade — I don't really understand why you would opt to remove this in the first place.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @heimdalsgate! Thanks for making your wishes known on this one. I don't have anything to announce in regard to it at present, but keep an eye on updates and the release notes; that's where you'll see these things first. Cheers! :)

• makis
    makis
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there. Many many many updates...but not the one we waiting for! I want to view all my customers at once. Is there any kind of view except the Tags categorization?

It's critical if you have more than 50 passwords. Is 1password for newbies or professionals? May you help me?

• makis
    makis
    Community Member
    Options

I understand that tags are more flexible and more powerful than static folders..but if you have them not expand or collapsed it's not powerfull anymore!!!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there. Many many many updates...but not the one we waiting for! I want to view all my customers at once. Is there any kind of view except the Tags categorization?

I don't know what you mean by "view all my customers at once". 1Password is not a contact management system. Can you elaborate?

It's critical if you have more than 50 passwords. Is 1password for newbies or professionals? May you help me?

1Password is for anyone who wants to secure their digital lives. Certainly it won't be to everyone's taste, but our focus is to make it not only secure by also useful for the widest variety of people possible, so that more people can be safe online.

I understand that tags are more flexible and more powerful than static folders..but if you have them not expand or collapsed it's not powerfull anymore!!!

Having thousands of items in 1Password myself, mostly Logins, I have to say that search is the most powerful once you get to a certain point. Tags help facilitate that, since they can help you narrow down things when searching, or group them together. Folders are similar to tags, but are more limiting and require more manual management (since an item cannot belong to more than one folder at a time), and also cause issues for collaboration (since syncing folder changes between people can easily lead to conflicts), so we have no plans to bring them back.

Also, nested tags can be collapsed.

• Steve45
    Steve45
    Community Member
    edited April 2019
    Options

I definitely agree that we need the ability to collapse lower levels of the nested tags, and not just the upper level. 1Password 7 is looking good though!

• Steve45
    Steve45
    Community Member
    Options

Typo correction: need to collapse lower levels of nested tags, not just the upper level :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Fixed your typo, Steve45

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for sharing your feedback too @Steve45!

This discussion has been closed.