Cannot select partial text in notes [known issue; working on a fix]

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: 1Password Mini Window: Allow Copy/Pasting from Notes Field.

Comments

• cclark
    cclark
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not able to copy from the notes field in both mini and the application. When sites ask for additional security questions and ask things like "Name of your favorite teacher" or "Model of your first car" I do not use the real answers because I expect that sites will get hacked and if I use real answers then information about me is disseminated further and makes my accounts more prone to social engineering. So I just treat these as additional passwords and the answers come from 1Password's Password Generator. That means my notes field often looks like:

Name of your favorite teacher: became-calomel-selfless-slipknot
    Model of your first car: foreword-obsidian-nave-outwards
    University you graduated from: breeches-arrear-artist-briefs

As of a recent update [1Password 7 Version 7.0.7 (70007000) AgileBits Store] I am no longer able to highlight and copy. There is only a button to copy all contents of the notes field.

Was it ever discovered if this was a bug or an intentional change with selecting and copying partial text?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018
    Options

@cclark: That's a great example. To be clear, we do still want to address this issue, but I also wanted to suggest something that may help you with this use case more long-term: creating custom fields for security questions/answers. Using the password generator for those is great! But saving them in custom fields makes them much easier to differentiate and copy/paste. Not being able to select text in the notes field is definitely a bug though, introduced a couple weeks ago, and I'm sorry for the inconvenience that's causing. :blush:

ref: apple-1754

• pixelgravity
    pixelgravity
    Community Member
    Options

I recently upgraded to version 7 and unfortunately something tony has changed which gives me hard time. I usually want to select a part of my "notes" field but unlike previous version there is only one functionality: Copy the whole note. In order to do that now I have to edit the item first and then copy a part of text and then quit without saving which is very annoying. Here is a screenshot:

1Password Version: 7.0.7
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Mac 10:13
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @pixelgravity! Sorry for the trouble you're experiencing just now. However, I'm also a bit puzzles, since I'm unable to reproduce this behavior here. Using the same setup you have (7.0.7 on 10.13.6 - High Sierra), I can copy portions of text just fine. Can you please try Quiting 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), the re-opening it from your Applications menu and letting me know if the issue persists?

• DK114
    DK114
    Community Member
    Options

1Password 7 Version 7.0.7 (70007000) AgileBits Store on MacOS 10.12.6; just did the "Quit completely" - have the same problem, can't select a part of a Note field on a Login.

• pixelgravity
    pixelgravity
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars This is what you see when you hover over notes in a login item:

As you see there is only one button that copies the whole text not the part of it.

P.S. I did quit and relaunch. Issue is persistent.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018
    Options

@DK114 and @pixelgravity - sorry for the misunderstanding; I was using a Secure Note, for which this problem doesn't exist at all, not the Notes field of a login item. You're correct; on Login items, this is still an issue. However, it's a known issue, and we're working on a fix for it. Thanks for your patience until we can release it.

ref: apple-1754

• stin9ray
    stin9ray
    Community Member
    Options

Likewise, partial select does not work on the title of an entry for quick copy paste. (Never has.)
    But I think it should just like for notes on a password entry.
    I always end up clicking edit, doing the select in the title or the notes of a password entry, copy and cancel, which feels clumsy. Which is a big contrast to the rest of 1Password which feels very elegant.

Having that said, keep up the great work. I've been using 1Password for years and am still raving about it ;-)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@stin9ray - thanks for the kind words, and for sharing your experience on this. This actually has been addressed in beta, so unless something goes wrong it shouldn't be too long before we see a rollout to stable 1Password for Mac (not the title bit, but the notes field bit).

• decay
    decay
    Community Member
    Options

Hopefully this fix comes soon because one of the things I've loved about 1P is how fast and easy it was to get to my secure info. Now it takes unnecessary effort to copy simple text from a note field.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

• pixelgravity
    pixelgravity
    Community Member
    Options

It is solved in version 7.1.2. Good job!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pixelgravity -- excellent news! Glad to hear this is working for you again. :)

This discussion has been closed.