To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Problem upgrading from desktop 1P6.8.9 to Free Trial Family subscription

Grangerz
Grangerz
Community Member

I upgraded to a Family subscription from the stand-alone 1Password application last week, but ran into a problem. The 1Password mini application crashed mid-upgrade and I only seem to have about 300 items saved to the new vault. The desktop application originally had about 700 items, but post-upgrade has 1182 items including a whole bunch of attachments. I haven't upgraded the desktop app to version 7 yet, but just wanted advice on how to restore all 700 items to my new Family account. It is not immediately clear in the Knowledgebase on how this might be achieved.

1Password Version: 1P6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Grangerz
    Grangerz
    Community Member

A couple more things to add: my existing vault is hosted on Dropbox, and is set up to run a WLAN server.

• Hey @Grangerz, I'm so sorry for the trouble while upgrading! Crashes are never a great experience - hopefully we'll track that one down soon.

You should be able to sign into your account within 1Password for Mac along side your old Primary vault. You can then copy or move your existing items from the Primary vault into the new Personal vault of your 1Password Families account. You can read more about this here:

https://support.1password.com/move-share-items/

Let us know how that goes!

• Grangerz
    Grangerz
    Community Member

Thanks for getting back to me. Should I upgrade to v7 before doing this?

• Grangerz
    Grangerz
    Community Member

1Password for Mac
    Requires macOS Sierra or newer.

Just checked this - and it looks like I won't be able to upgrade as I only have El Capitan (10.11.6)

• Hi, @Grangerz. Yes, if you're on El Capitan, you'll need to use 1Password 6 for Mac.

• Grangerz
    Grangerz
    Community Member

Thanks for the advice - it has worked. However - there are now lots and lots of duplicate items. As I mentioned before, my original primary vault had about 700 items, and the new Private vault has almost 1200. I guess I will have to go through it, and delete all the duplicates - unless there's a quick and easy solution?

• Grangerz
    Grangerz
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

Ah - spoke too soon. I've also noticed that the data is not up-to-date on a number of log-in items - for example the verification number on a credit card is not current. I guess this could have been caused by the 1Password mini app crash? I'll search the knowledgebase for instructions on using Time Machine to revert back to my vault as it was pre-upgrade. I also want to revert back to my single-user licence version of 1Password, as this subscription method is not really working for me. (Presumably doing both of these things is possible - and relatively pain-free?)

• Grangerz
    Grangerz
    Community Member

Any advice on this? It appears a lot of my logins in my new vault are not up-to-date. If I restore a pre-upgrade backup in the 1Password app on my Mac, will this restore my previous logins and passwords? Or will the fact that I now have a 1Password subscription account impact on this in any way? Would it be more advisable to deactivate the subscription account first? Any help on this problem would be nice.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the advice - it has worked. However - there are now lots and lots of duplicate items. As I mentioned before, my original primary vault had about 700 items, and the new Private vault has almost 1200. I guess I will have to go through it, and delete all the duplicates - unless there's a quick and easy solution?

@Grangerz: If you're using 1Password for Mac version 7, you can use Help > Tools > Clean Up Duplicate Items to get rid of any that are truly identical. This will not, however, get rid of items that are different (as described below); 1Password has no way of knowing what data you've given it that is "correct" and you want to keep.

Ah - spoke too soon. I've also noticed that the data is not up-to-date on a number of log-in items - for example the verification number on a credit card is not current. I guess this could have been caused by the 1Password mini app crash?

No. The data is stored separately from the app. It sounds like you just had some old data somewhere, and you migrated that to your account.

I'll search the knowledgebase for instructions on using Time Machine to revert back to my vault as it was pre-upgrade. I also want to revert back to my single-user licence version of 1Password, as this subscription method is not really working for me. (Presumably doing both of these things is possible - and relatively pain-free?)

If you installed 1Password for Mac version 7, you can remove that and unzip the 1Password 6 app in /Applications to start using that again. That will probably also still have the same data you left it with.

Any advice on this? It appears a lot of my logins in my new vault are not up-to-date. If I restore a pre-upgrade backup in the 1Password app on my Mac, will this restore my previous logins and passwords? Or will the fact that I now have a 1Password subscription account impact on this in any way? Would it be more advisable to deactivate the subscription account first? Any help on this problem would be nice.

Where do you have all of the data you want (and none of the data you don't want) currently?

• Grangerz
    Grangerz
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply @brenty

As per the subject title - I'm on a Mac using El Capitan, so can't use version 1P7.

I bit the bullet, and restored the backed up version of 1Password (pre-switch to subscription account)
    1Password > Preferences > Backup > Restore
    But before I did this, I exported some recent logins / passwords etc that I'd saved post-switch:
    1Password > File > Export > Selected Items...
    And then imported these on top of the newly restored backup.

I think the data that 'I didn't want' was probably on Dropbox - as I'd been having some problems syncing it correctly. But all is back to normal now.

I'm still not convinced that the new subscription account is right for me, so will just continue using the desktop app for now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Grangerz: Ah thanks for clarifying. Sorry I thought that had changed, or there was a different mac involved, since you were talking about "reverting". If you have all of your data in 1Password now, it would be best to remove the unwanted vault in Dropbox to avoid confusion in the future. After that, if you have questions about setting up sync let me know. Happy to help. :)

• Grangerz
    Grangerz
    Community Member

Cheers @brenty !

I'll investigate - and get back to you.

• :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.