TrustPilot may not be so trustworthy (but they're certainly a pain!)

camner
camner
Community Member
edited July 2018 in Lounge

Sometime during my most recent interactions with 1P Support Forums, up popped a popup (yeah, redundant...sorry) asking me if I wanted to provide a review for 1P on the review site TrustPilot. I was surprised, because I remember not all that long ago seeing text such as "1Password will never ask for a review because...." but I figured that perhaps Agile had changed its mind about reviews.

Since my interactions with 1P support have ALWAYS been good, I thought I'd give it go. I wrote a short and positive review, particularly commending 1P's support.

A few minutes later I got an email from TrustPilot that said, in part,

Your review of 1password.com has been flagged by our software or our Compliance Team because we’ve been unable to verify the authenticity of it. That means we’ve removed your review from our platform. Note that it’s not deleted, but it’s no longer visible online and won’t count towards the rating of 1password.com.

If you believe that there has been a misunderstanding, you’re welcome to contact our Compliance Team by replying to this email. We’re always happy to help.

I figured that perhaps my enthusiasm had been flagged as a bot or paid positive review, so I wrote in. I didn't hear back for a week or so, and this morning got this:

Your review has been removed from our platform because we were unable to verify the authenticity of it. However, we’ll be happy to revisit our earlier decision if you can provide us with documentation verifying your experience.

To verify your review:

Find your order confirmation, invoice, delivery report or proof of service with 1password.com.The documents should show: the name of the business, the name of the buyer (your name), the date, and a reference number. See more here.
Send your documents by replying to this email. We accept forwarded emails from 1password.com, screenshots of user registration/profile or similar, and pdf attachments.

What?? They don't need my first born as well? I had an easier time getting my first adult US passport!! (Almost true...not much of an exaggeration*.)

I decided to see what I could find about reviews of TrustPilot, and from what I've found, Agile may wish to reconsider using that platform. Most of what's out there is not flattering. The repeated references to the fact that TrustPilot allows companies to pay to have negative reviews deleted is the most egregious criticism I found, but not the only one.

See:
https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/trustpilot.com
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trustpilot
https://www.webbedfeet.uk/news/dont-trust-trustpilot

*In 1974 I went to the US Passport office in Washington DC with the requisite documents (birth certificate & driver's license, if I remember correctly), but the passport official said the raised seal on the birth certificate had worn down so it couldn't be accepted. As my face fell, he asked me if I had ever been out of the country, and I said that I had, when I was 6 months old. He asked if I could get my hands on my mother's passport from that trip, that could help. Back in 1953 babies didn't have their own passport but had an entry in a parent's passport with a name, DOB, and a baby picture. I brought that in, and I got my passport on the spot. Somehow I don't think the passport official could readily discern a resemblance between the baby picture and the long-haired, bearded 21 year old in front of him! Somehow I suspect this wouldn't work in 2018!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @camner,

I am sorry for the negative experience! We have a link on the release page that asks to leave a review on several third-party sites (including TrustPilot). It certainly should not be a pop up that appears out of nowhere -- that would be bad for many reasons. If you or anyone else see this happening, please let us know.

We are currently trying to find a third-party review service that could provide 1Password with Google Seller Ratings. Unfortunately, it is pretty hard to find a service that provides good experience and also protects the privacy of our customers. I will follow up with TrustPilot about this incident.

• camner
    camner
    Community Member

No real need to contact TrustPilot, at least not on my account. It’s pretty clear to me from what I read about them that they aren’t a great outfit and have a business model that serves businesses (if allowing businesses to pay to suppress bad reviews is deemed “serving”), but isn’t consumer oriented.

• Thanks for bringing this to our attention, @camner.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.