1pw does not sync updates between windows and my iPhone

Options

I am using 1PW version 7.1 and may still be on my trial period - not sure.
Updates on either platform are not synced in the other direction.

On the iPhone there is no setting for synchronization -- should there be?

I don't recall setting any "sync type" -- I don't have dropbox or google drive
on my windows machine or iPhone.

1Password Version: v7.1.567
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018
    Options

Hi @jDargin,

Thank you for reaching out!

If you are using 1Password account, you do not need to set up any sync option. Could you please specify the name of the vault that you are using in 1Password on your iPhone and Windows PC? Is it Personal?

Also, please tell me if you are using any kind of VPN or proxy on your side.

Thanks!

++
    Greg

• jDargin
    jDargin
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Greg,

I am using the "personal" vault on both iPhone and Windows.
    No vpn or proxy involved as far as I know.

I did notice that on my iPhone there were two "personal" vaults
    defined: one with all my items and the other one was empty.
    I disabled the empty one after I noticed it but have not tried an
    update on either side to see if syncing occurs now.

Thanks in advance,
    Jim

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jDargin - that sounds very much as if you have two separate 1password.com accounts created. Could that be the case? If so, you would have a different Secret Key for each account. What you need to make sure is that you're using only the account you wish, on both devices. Using one account on one device and the other on a different device will mean no sync between them (since they're different accounts) and also that you're likely paying twice the amount you need to be paying (unless one of the accounts is frozen or deleted, in which case you can't add/delete/make changes to it anyway).

• jDargin
    jDargin
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, it is possible that I have two accounts.

I had trouble installing V4 on my windows machine and I may have installed the 1pw app on my phone.
    Later I uninstalled v4 on my windows machine and installed 1pw v7 and I am sure i got a new secret key
    at that time. I don't recall whether I reinstalled the 1pw app on my phone.

At any rate how do I clean this up? How do I tell whether or not I am paying for two accounts.
    I started with a trial version and have not gotten any msg saying "trial period is up".

Thanks in advance,
    Jim

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jDargin - The easiest way would be to look at the accounts themselves in your respective devices. In 1Password 7 for Windows, click the Accounts tab and mouse over your account. Look at the Secret Key in particular. On your iPhone, open Settings > 1Password Accounts, choose your account and look at the Secret Key there. Are they the same? I'm guessing not -- and I'm also betting one of them will show the account it's using as Frozen. You want the one that's showing as active. Once you determine which one that is, you'll only need to sign out of the disused account in whichever device is using it, then sign into the correct account.

Regarding billing, are you being charged for two accounts? If not, then you're probably OK. All 1password.com accounts come with a 30-day free trial, so your current account may not have passed that period yet. If you're still not sure, you'll need to email us at support+forum@1password.com -- we can't discuss details of specific accounts in this public forum. If you decide to do that, make sure you include your forum username and a link to this thread, so we can "connect the dots." You'll also receive an automated reply from our "BitBot" assistant, which will contain a support ID number. Please post that ticket # here to help us locate and expedite your request.

• jDargin
    jDargin
    Community Member
    Options

I followed the steps above and both devices (iPhone and Windows) are using the same secret key.
    There is only one account present on each device.

With regard to billing my windows 1PW shows that my subscription is active and I am on the "individual plan"
    good for one year until July 4th 2019.

Going back to my observation about vaults: I have two vaults shown in settings on iPhone both named
    personal; however, I have only the first one included in the "all vaults" specification.

Would sending you a diagnostic report be of any value?

Just to reiterate, my problem is that updates to "login" items on either device are not propagated to the
    other device. I am not using dropbox or any other SYNCing tool. Note: I do have the "Symantec end point protections"
    on my windows device. That caused problems initially that another 1pw tech spotted. I needed to disable "symantec..."
    temporarily so I could login to 1Password.

Hope this helps.

Jim

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jDargin - if you have anti-virus or other filtering software installed on your PC that may very well be at least part of the problem, depending on the specific app/service and settings. So, yes, I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices.

—iOS—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?ios

—Windows—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?windows

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics emails before sending them:

[#YUT-93176-991]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @jDargin only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: YUT-93176-991

• jDargin
    jDargin
    Community Member
    Options

Both reports were sent. Two were sent from iPhone device because I forgot to add the bracketed code to the subject line.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jDargin - hmmm, one of those two says it exceeded our inbox size limitation? That's 27MB, which I would think would be difficult to hit with just text-based diagnostics reports. Was there something else large attached to that one? And can you re-send it?

• jDargin
    jDargin
    Community Member
    Options

I sent another set of two diagnostic reports: one from the iphone and one from my windows device. I notice the size of the report on the windows device is 18.7 MB dated 7/20 at 11:34 am.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jDargin - thanks. I received it; will reply via email.

• jDargin
    jDargin
    Community Member
    Options

There are many error messages in the diagnostic report "pipe error, 60 seconds before restart" . as well as this msg "Refusing helper connection from "C:\Windows\explorer.exe", because of untrusted certificate." I don't use internet explorer so this is confusing.

As far as my main issue of updates not syncing with the iPhone I find myself wondering how 1PW on my windows device would know to send an update to the iPhone. I don't remember doing any setup for that type of communication.

Just wondering and trying to be helpful.

Jim

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

There are many error messages in the diagnostic report "pipe error, 60 seconds before restart" . as well as this msg "Refusing helper connection from "C:\Windows\explorer.exe", because of untrusted certificate." I don't use internet explorer so this is confusing.

@jDargin: explorer.exe is the Windows shell, which also runs Windows File Explorer. Internet Explorer is iexplore.exe. In either case, it's odd that would be untrusted on your system. Do you have "security" software which may be interfering?

As far as my main issue of updates not syncing with the iPhone I find myself wondering how 1PW on my windows device would know to send an update to the iPhone. I don't remember doing any setup for that type of communication. Just wondering and trying to be helpful.

With a 1Password.com membership, signing into your account on each device allows them to all use the same data, and sync changes to each other.

• jDargin
    jDargin
    Community Member
    Options

I do have Symantec "Endpoint Protection" on my Windows machine. Earlier that caused a problem with being able to signin to 1Pw. I had to disable it in order to sign in and after that I was able to us 1pw w/o doing the disable of Symantec.

• jDargin
    jDargin
    Community Member
    Options

Followup: This problem (could not sign in) was solved for me by Kate Sebald. The solution was for me to disable a tool (Symantec Endpoint Protection) on my windows machine before sign in to 1password 7. After signin I could re-enable "Symantec" and use 1password 7 with no Symantec conflicts.

Would you recommend that I disable Symantec on my Windows machine and try making a change to passwords and see if it gets synced with my iPhone?

• jDargin
    jDargin
    Community Member
    Options

I notice on my Windows device that on the left side "navigation pane" that there is category titled "Offline Changes". Upon opening that list I see the set of password entries that I have changed. What does it take to force 1pw to propagate or sync these changes to the database that my iPhone accesses? My iPhone is signed in as well.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jDargin: Glad that Kate's suggestion helped! :)

Would you recommend that I disable Symantec on my Windows machine and try making a change to passwords and see if it gets synced with my iPhone?

Indeed, if their software is blocking communications with 1Password.com when you're just trying to sign in, it seems likely that it would with other connections to our server. Definitely worth a try.

I notice on my Windows device that on the left side "navigation pane" that there is category titled "Offline Changes". Upon opening that list I see the set of password entries that I have changed. What does it take to force 1pw to propagate or sync these changes to the database that my iPhone accesses? My iPhone is signed in as well.

1Password won't be able to send any changes to the server if it is being prevented from connecting, and therefore your other devices would not be able to receive those changes (which the server doesn't have) either. If you disable Symantec and create a new test item, does that show up on 1Password.com, and then on your other devices?

• jDargin
    jDargin
    Community Member
    Options

Disabling Symantec Endpoint Protection solved my problem. Changes are amazingly fast. I thought I would need to tickle some entry in the password list in order to cause a refresh on my iPhone but not the case -- the change on the Windows device was immediately displayed on the iPhone list.

Until a few months ago I worked at IBM and all of their deployed laptops at my location contained Symantec Hard Drive encryption as well as Symantec Endpoint Protection. I was required to install those tools on my personal machine in order to work remotely. It probably will not affect me now to have Symantec disabled but it probably limits your marketing potential if you need to exclude IBMers.

At any rate I consider this problem solved and I thank you all for your assistance.

Jim

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jDargin,

Thank you for your detailed feedback! :+1: We had reports from the users of Symantec Endpoint Protection before, so we will need to look into it.

I am glad to hear that 1Password works for you now. Please let me know if you have any other questions, we are always here for you.

Cheers,
    Greg

• jDargin
    jDargin
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Greg,

Perhaps your group at 1pw can create some sort of exception entry that Symantec could use for granting "execeptions" to trusted tools like 1PW. Granted that would require some negotiations with Symantec but it could be a Win - Win for both of you.

I was unable to disable Symantec using the Windows CONFIG tool so I had to take the "sledge hammer" approach and simply uninstall Symantec. Apparently, Symantec is able at "boot" time to bypass the specifications one can specify in the CONFIG file. So unfortunately, I am without that level of security for my windows device. Hopefully I don't need it now that I no longer work for IBM.

Let me know if your negotiations with Symantec bear any fruit.

Jim

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jDargin: I will make sure to pass your feedback and ideas along to my team. Thank you! :+1:

I agree that this will be a win-win situation, so hopefully we will be able to come up with something.

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.