UX bug in search feature

Options
lkjhasdf7ykj
lkjhasdf7ykj
Community Member

Hi, I'd like to report a small user experience issue with searching.

Nature of bug
When a search returns no results, the UI will no longer respond to the cmd-F keyboard shortcut, making it impossible to perform a different search without first clicking the mouse in the search box.

Expected behavior
After a search returns no results, perhaps because of a typo, pressing cmd-F should return the cursor to the search box to try another search.

Actual behavior
Pressing cmd-F after a search returns no results does nothing except make the Mac OS "bonk" sound of denial. It is then necessary to move the mouse to the search box to perform another search, which is frustrating and slow.

Caveats
This issue only occurs if a search returns no results; searches that have at least one result allow the user to press cmd-F to perform another search.

Steps to reproduce
1. Press cmd-F
2. Enter search text for an item that does not exist in your password wallet
3. Observe no results
4. Press cmd-F again
5. Enjoy the bonk sound of denial while 1Password refuses to let you do the search

Thanks!

Comments

• lkjhasdf7ykj
    lkjhasdf7ykj
    Community Member
    Options

This is report relates to Version 6.8.9 (689001).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @lkjhasdf7ykj! Thanks for reporting this. I've been able to reproduce it, and therefore have filed it as a bug internally. Obviously, I don't have any sort of idea for what might be happening past this point in terms of timeline for a fix, but I've made our developers aware. Thanks again for letting us know! :)

ref: apple-1843

• lkjhasdf7ykj
    lkjhasdf7ykj
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Lars!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lkjhasdf7ykj - you're quite welcome -- thank YOU! :)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lkjhasdf7ykj,

If you're pressing the Return (or Enter) key after this step, a workaround is not to do that before pressing Command-F again.

1. Enter search text for an item that does not exist in your password wallet

Results (if any) will be displayed in the item list while typing search text, so Return/Enter isn't actually necessary and turns out to be one way to trigger the bug you've reported (by moving the insertion point out of the search field and disabling Command-F when there are no search results).

I hope that helps - cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.