Secret key? Membership? What's going on?

Options
johnkathi
johnkathi
Community Member
edited July 2018 in Mac

OK…this is not working out well at all. We have been using version 6.8xx and have been very pleased with it. I expected that version 7 would simply be an upgrade, so I downloaded and installed it. Bad decision on my part. Apparently, in order to use version 7, I need some kind of “secret key” that, in spite of your instructions, I can’t find anywhere. I also don’t have a 1password account (although I of course have a Master Password), but I can’t create an account because I don’t have, and can’t find, a “secret key.” Finally, I apparently now have to pay you a monthly membership fee in order to use version 7, even though I’ve been using 1Password for a long time without having to have some kind of membership. Can’t tell you how unhappy this all makes me. So…

1) How do I get rid of the version 7 I installed?
2) How do I reinstate the version 6.8 that I was very happy with?
3) How can I be sure that I can retrieve all the password data in my version 6.8…since right now I can’t even open the program?

I’ve got a little over 500 logins in version 6.8 that I can’t afford to lose…so I trust you can help me with the issues I’ve described. Thanks.

All the best,
John S. Becker
[private information removed; this is a public forum]

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2018
    Options

Hi @johnkathi

Secret Keys are a part of 1Password membership. Without a membership you won’t have one. To sign up for a membership you’d visit this page:

Pricing, free trial for password manager | 1Password

That said you do not need a membership to use 1Password 7, but if you’d prefer to continue with licensing you would need a new license (select the “need a license? we have those too” option from the welcome screen). You can of course continue to use 1Password 6 if you’d like but please understand that we’re no longer releasing updates for that version, so you’ll want to upgrade to v7 (either through membership or a new license) at some point.

You can read more about the benefits of membership here:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

And you can read about what is new in v7 here:

1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever - AgileBits Blog

If for now you want to revert to v6 instructions can be found here:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/441130/#Comment_441130

I hope that helps!

Ben

P.S. This is a public forum and as such we don’t allow folks to post information such as email addresses and phone numbers. I’ve removed that information from your post.

• alan_hayakawa
    alan_hayakawa
    Community Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

same for me: i try to retrieve secret key at https://my.1password.com/signin but there, I'm asked for the secret key. Which I have never received nor seen. Catch-22. Please advise.

ref: JPY-95614-959

• Ben
    Options

@alan_hayakawa

It appears you've already been in touch with our team about this issue via email. To avoid duplicating efforts and confusing things let's continue the conversation there, please. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.