passwords don't fill on android

Asyd Rayn
Asyd Rayn
Community Member

Not sure what's going on, but I've been getting the "auto-fill" pop up on sites and in apps on my Android phone and I unlock and the correct login shows but when I chose it I'm set back to the "autofill" pop-up and I'm in a loop. Running a pixel 2 on Android P, might that be the issue? Searched, but didn't find anything specific to this -- thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:passwords don't fill on android

Comments

• saad
    edited July 2018

Hey Asyd! Thanks for reporting this problem to us. Autofill using 1Password is working fine for me on my Pixel 2 XL, which is also running on Android P. Have you already tried restarting your device? If that doesn't help, could you disable and re-enable Autofill by going into 1Password’s Settings > Filling? Let me know if that helps.

• Asyd Rayn
    Asyd Rayn
    Community Member

Hey @saad thanks for the response, I'll give it a whirl and report back. I noticed it on my banking apps.

• Asyd Rayn
    Asyd Rayn
    Community Member

@saad nope, still send me in loops with Hudson Valley Federal Credit Union app and my Reddit app as well as many others. Checked for updates, cleared cache, rebooted and tried disabling rebooting and enabling autofill.

• saad
    edited July 2018

Thanks for giving that a try. I just tried using Autofill on the Hudson Valley FCU Mobile app, and I had no problem with filling login credentials there. What version of 1Password are you using by the way? If you're not already using the beta version, I would recommend updating to it to see if it works better on your Pixel 2. We've made several improvements to Autofill in the beta release. To get the 1Password 7 beta for Android, follow the instructions on this page:

https://support.1password.com/betas/?android

• Asyd Rayn
    Asyd Rayn
    Community Member

I am a beta tester on 7.0-Beta 14. I have no clue what's going on all of a sudden, I haven't changed anything. Would a diagnostic report from my phone help any?

• saad
    edited July 2018

Ah, something strange is happening here. Are you able to test out Autofill using another provider? You can choose Google, for example, as your Autofill service and try filling login credentials using Google instead. I would love to know if you can fill in your login details using another provider. This would help us isolate the problem to 1Password or the Autofill service on your device.

• Asyd Rayn
    Asyd Rayn
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

That would be helpful if I used any other autofill service, but I don't, haha. So no logins or passwords are saved.

• Asyd Rayn
    Asyd Rayn
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

@saad OK, I've continued to do some further digging. I logged out of my Vudu account and again tried using auto fill. I selected an existing login that I've used for Vudu from my primary vault, in the pop-up, the same login that works on my desktop and has worked previously. After the loop, I manually entered my password and after entering it, 1Password asked me to save the password to the 1password app. I did. Logged out of Vudu again and then selected the new login I set up from my phone and it works, no prompt for auto-fill loop.

This can't be normal operation when logins already exist. I have no intention or desire to recreate duplicate logins just so this app works with the phone under version 7.0. Are you investigating or have you chalked it up to the fact that since it works on your Pixel with P beta that there's some issue with my phone? I'd appreciate follow-up or some help here.

Thanks.

• Maravilhas
    Maravilhas
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

Also having the exact same problem.
    Android beta 7.0.14
    Samsung S8

• Hey @Asyd Rayn and @Maravilhas. Can you both let me know whether you're using a 1Password membership or a standalone vault? If you're using standalone vaults, is your data in the Agile Keychain or OPVault format?

• Maravilhas
    Maravilhas
    Community Member

Standalone opvault
    Thanks

• Asyd Rayn
    Asyd Rayn
    Community Member

@peri @Maravilhas I too am using a standalone opvault.

• Thanks for the update!

I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Android device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Android)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/93269/passwords-dont-fill-on-android#latest
    • Your forum username

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• Asyd Rayn
    Asyd Rayn
    Community Member

Hi @peri -- done, here's my support ID: #ZKW-84924-766

• Thanks! We'll take a look and get back to you soon! ref: ZKW-84924-766

• MajorHavoc
    MajorHavoc
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

Autofill has Never worked for me in my S8. I have to press and hold the icon, and then select every username and password. It never recognizes the page I'm on either so I have to search 1P first. I just assumed it worked tbis way. Better than the alternative. Using Chrome on a Samsung S8. Have I screwed up something, or is this as expected and I misunderstand this rhread?

• @MajorHavoc From the details you've provided so far, it sounds to me like you may be using the 1Password Keyboard to fill logins on your S8. With Autofill and Accessibility, there is no icon that you need to press and hold. There is simply a pop-up prompt that allows you to select logins for filling. Could I get you to unlock 1Password, tap on Settings, tap on Filling, and check to see if Autofill and Accessibility are enabled on your device?

• Maravilhas
    Maravilhas
    Community Member

@peri -- here's my support #EUV-16654-833
    Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Maravilhas: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. :)

ref: EUV-16654-833

• MajorHavoc
    MajorHavoc
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

@mverde: Well, I have not received Android Oreo (8.0) yet so that option is not available. That could explain a lot. As for Oreo, it seems I moved my AT&T S8 to T-Mobile, and as such, I can't get the update. Samsung said use Smart Switch, and it says my 7.0 Android is up to date, so that is screwed up too. SIGH!. Accessibility was off. I tried to switch it on, was thrown to the Accessibility setting, and it took me a bit to find it, but 1Password accessibility is on now. Will that do anything without autofill being on?

So yea, that kind of explains a lot.

Thanks for the answer. I guess I will have to hope that 8.0 comes along to my phone soon. Maybe I can borrow a SIM from a friend to the the OTA update. Its always something! :-)

• Asyd Rayn
    Asyd Rayn
    Community Member

@MajorHavoc, I don't think your issue is related to what I or @Maravilhas seems to be reporting. What you've described it seems is something totally different and off-topic from our bug.

• MajorHavoc
    MajorHavoc
    Community Member

@mverde asked me if I had turned on that feature, and while I may have put in too much info as to why I could not turn it on, it is the direct reason why auto fill does not seem to work for me. Perhaps others have a similar issue on updates that prevent the feature from working. Thanks for your concern, but I was answering a team member’s question. I was responding to your original note that auto fill had a problem. I had one too, just different. Blame the forum software for suggesting I post my comment here.

• johnny808
    johnny808
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

Having the same issue here with my Samsung Galaxy S8 (AT&T).

Oreo 8.0
    1Password 7.0.BETA-15
    Standalone opvault

Many websites and apps don’t Autofill after selecting the correct login. Sometimes getting the Autofill pop-up loop. Sometimes no Autofill prompt. The blue banner “Fill username” “Fill Password” sometimes doesn’t show with the 1Password keyboard either.

For example, Autofill did not work with Bank of America app or website on chrome browser. Didn’t work on amazon app or website either.
    But, Autofill worked on Netflix app and website,. Worked also with Chase Bank app and website. Worked with Expedia app and website. Worked with eBay app and website.

So, it’s hit or miss. A lot of the folks reporting the issue are on the Galaxy S8 (Infinity display).

• @MajorHavoc having Accessibility enabled should allow you to fill into apps and browsers in simple cases where the username and password are shown on the same page. Autofill takes things a step further by allowing for saving in addition to filling.

@johnny808 from the details that you've provided so far, it seems like you're encountering a different issue than described above. For example, apps like Amazon present a particular challenge because they split the login flow across multiple screens. The current implementation for Autofill and Accessibility doesn't handle this scenario well. We're working on improving the login detection logic built into 1Password for Android so that there are a lot more hits and a lot fewer misses.

• Asyd Rayn
    Asyd Rayn
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

I also just noticed if I switch to the 1Password keyboard and try to use it for filling manually, the keyboard doesn't even have the fill user or fill password buttons at the top. Something hokey is going on here and I can't figure out what it is and why all of a sudden.

• @Asyd Rayn from the information that I've been gathering from others who are experiencing similar issues, it seems like this may have something to do with saving items using 1Password 7 for Mac. Login items that are created in 1Password for Android seem to work fine until they are updated by 1Password 7 for Mac. This would seem to suggest that there is some disagreement between the two apps on data format. I'll update this thread once I've had a chance to test my hypothesis.

• Asyd Rayn
    Asyd Rayn
    Community Member

@mverde yes, we're exchanging emails now.

• MajorHavoc
    MajorHavoc
    Community Member

Thanks @mverde. That is indeed working now. I guess that option is off by default? Thanks for the pointer.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MajorHavoc: Indeed, it isn't an option everywhere, and since it's a setting in Android it's necessary for the user to enable it. Glad that helped though.

In case anyone else is looking for more info, the details on setting up filling for 1Password for Android can be found on our support site. Cheers! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Asyd Rayn: Sounds good. We'll continue the conversation via email to see if we can determine what's causing the issue. Thanks for your patience and willingness to work with us on this!

ref: MJI-26121-414

This discussion has been closed.