Something preventing install of 1Password on Windows 8 laptop

Donwloaded 1Password installation file. Opened the .exe file to start the installation and keep getting a 1Password failed to install.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 8
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:cannot install 1Password on laptop using Windows 8. Failure to install

Comments

• MikeT
    edited July 2018

Hi @skays,

Thanks for reporting this. Can you tell us what anti-malware solution you're using? 98% of the times, it is due to an anti-malware / security solution that's breaking the install.

The other 2% is that you need an update to date .NET version installed. You can get .NET 4.7.2 from here: https://www.microsoft.com/net/download/thank-you/net472 (Once you download and install it, you have to reboot and then try to install 1Password).

• skays
    skays
    Community Member

Windows Defender and Malware Bytes 2.2.1.

• skays
    skays
    Community Member

Uninstalled Malware Bytes. Still get the "a problem has caused 1Password to stop working..." Still an issue.

• skays
    skays
    Community Member

Have added my son as a family member of 1Password, confirmed his joining my 1Password family. He received email and set up his 1Password account and emergency start-up kit. We have then gone to 1password.com to download the 1Password Windows app to his Windows laptop. Is that not the correct process???

• Hi @Skays,

MalwareBytes has been known to cause this problem but they fixed it in the latest 3.5.1.2522.

Unfortunately, once it interferes with the 1Password setup, it'll leave behind a damaged install. This means you have to reinstall it completely like so:

1. Download the latest copy of 1Password from here but do not run yet: https://1Password.com/downloads/
    2. Uninstall all instances of 1Password using the Control Panel's Uninstall a program option. Note: Do not allow any third party uninstaller to clean up 1Password. Your 1Password data will not be affected.
    3. Open Windows File Explorer and enter %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password in the address bar. You should not see the app folder but if you do, move this to the desktop.
    4. Check for Windows updates, make sure to include all optional updates as well.
    5. Reboot your computer but do not open any browsers. Run the 1Password installer you've downloaded from step 1 and see if it works now.

We have then gone to 1password.com to download the 1Password Windows app to his Windows laptop. Is that not the correct process???

Yes, it is correct.

• skays
    skays
    Community Member

Great. will try that. Really love the responsiveness of 1Password on this forum. Guys are doing a super job. Thank you very much. Recommend it to all my friends.

• You're welcome, please do keep us informed of your progress!

• skays
    skays
    Community Member

Still will not install. Something is preventing it from installing. Seems it goes 90% of the way through and then stops. Will Windows Defender on Windows 8 prevent it from installing? Another question. I am just a novice at 1Password and it seems creating any secure notes, adding logins, adding credit cards, etc, all requires those inputs to be done on a computer and not a phone??? Is that correct? Thinking maybe he could just install 1Password app on his iPhone 6 and not on his Windows 8 laptop. Comments please.

• skays
    skays
    Community Member

I went on line and checked the main 1Password site for our family and saw where approved devices for him showed Windows 8.1. Hmmmm....so we downloaded the 1Password plugin for Firefox and he could log into 1Password using the Firefox 1password icon. So I guess he is good to go??? He even was able to create a secure not as well as a login.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@skays: Indeed, if they're able to create Logins and Secure Notes in their account in the 1Password app, it sounds like they're in good shape. But if you or your loved ones have questions about anything, we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.