Will 1password 7 open a 1password 6 vault

I have a stand-alone 1password 6 for Mac running beautifully on my Mac. I have introduced a PC, running Windows 10, onto my home network and downloaded 1password 7 (the only currently available version) and selected Sync Using Dropbox (where my current 1password 6 for Mac vault is) and typed in my master password. The new windows 1password 7 then tells me I have entered an incorrect password. I am definitely typing the correct password. I have also tried selecting “sync using folder” through the network and I get the same result. Could this be because I am asking version 7 to open a version 6 vault or is there another reason? Please can you help?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Will 1password 7 open a 1password 6 vault

Comments

• Hi @ranworth,

Thanks for writing in.

The 1Password version should not be a factor at all when it comes to your 1Password vault, OPVault is treated the same way on all platforms 1Password is on.

Please try the various suggestions in this guide here: https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/#if-you-think-you-remember-your-master-password

Let me know if it helps.

• ranworth
    ranworth
    Community Member

Thank you for your speedy reply Mike. Forgive me but I know I typed the correct password (your suggested guide infers that I didn't). I was able to check what I typed with my Mac (which opened the vault with no problem each time I cross checked). I gave it a great deal of diligence because I knew it would be the most obvious conclusion to think that I had typed the wrong password). Please can you help me resolve this issue so I can open my vault on my PC as well as my Mac. Many thanks for your kind help with this. Ranworth

• MikeT
    edited July 2018

Hi @ranworth,

I'm not trying to imply you've enter the wrong password or you forgot it, the link leads you directly to the section that says If you think you remember your master password as in you know what the master password is but the app is not accepting it; it then lists several tips to try to figure out where the problem is.

These are tips that worked many times in the past, such as character accents, spaces, and so on. We just had someone that had a space in their master password and for some odd reason, on Windows PC it only works without the space where on macOS, it works with it. The only solution there was to change the master password to remove the space.

Do you have any symbols or space in your master password? That's what that section is for, go through each one to see if there's a specific thing that is breaking your ability to enter the master password correctly.

• ranworth
    ranworth
    Community Member

Fair point Mike. I'll study that and get back to you.
    Many thanks again, Ranworth

• No problem, we'll be here to provide more assistance if nothing works from that guide. We hadn't had anyone that didn't get the same vault working in PC, it should just work.

• ranworth
    ranworth
    Community Member

I have tried all of those suggestions (some of which I had tried before) and it is still telling me the password is incorrect. As a matter of interest, I tried doing it three times but the password hint did not come-up (not that I needed it). I really don’t know what more I can do.

• Hi @ranworth,

Please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report on both Windows and Mac, email both to us at support+windows@1Password.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• ranworth
    ranworth
    Community Member

Will do Mike. Thank you for you continued patience.
    Ranworth

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, on behalf of Mike, thanks for your willingness to work with us! Once you've sent the email, if you'll post the Support ID you receive here, we'll take a look and see what can be done. :)

• ranworth
    ranworth
    Community Member

Hi Brent. It has occurred to me, my PC used to run 1Password 4 for Windows quite happily. I had paid for the licence. Recently, I wiped my PC and re-loaded Windows 10 (to improve the machines performance). I then connected it to my home network and expected to download and re-install 1Password 4 to access the vault on my network. As I explained in the detail to my initial question, the only version available for down load is 7 so I decided to try it free for 30 days to see if it is worth paying for a new licence to upgrade. This is when all the trouble started. Is it not possible for you to send me version 4 (which I've already paid for) and let me use that on my PC as I did before I wiped it? If that is possible that would be great. It would enable me to get the much needed access to the vault from my PC.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ranworth: Sorry for the confusion. Version 7 is definitely not the only thing available for download. You should be able to get the version you paid for from your license email, and pretty much every reseals of 1Password is available from our update site. I would have mentioned it earlier, but you didn't ask. I thought your preference was to use the current version. :blush:

• ranworth
    ranworth
    Community Member

Thanks for that link to version 4 for Windows Brenty. I have installed it and, much to my surprise, it again tells me that I am typing the wrong password to open the vault. So, I followed MikeT's guide to obtaining a diagnostic report on my mac (with success) but doing the same on my PC required I first open and unlock 1password before I can generate a diagnostic report which, of course, I can't because that is the very problem we are trying to solve. Sorry to be such a disaster area.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ranworth: No need to apologize. That's got to be pretty frustrating.

The Master Password will depend on the vault that you have opened. And certainly it isn't uncommon for input issues to cause difficulties with regard to entering the correct Master Password accurately. This isn't really something we can help with directly since we have no way of knowing anything about your Master Password(s) or vault(s). However, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

If that doesn't help though, you will need to either restore from a backup of the correct vault, sync from another device, or simply start over. You can try as many times as you want. You won’t be “locked out”, but you will not be able to access your data unless you can enter the required Master Password correctly. Keep in ming that unless someone else has access to your computer to create different vaults with other Master Passwords, it will be something you chose yourself when you created that particular vault.

Do you have multiple vaults on your computer? Are you able to access your 1Password data on another device? If you're able to send a a diagnostics report from the Mac, let me know the Support ID you receive so I can take a look. It will still be up to you to enter the correct Master Password, but I may be able to tell you where to find other vaults you can try. Thanks in advance!

This discussion has been closed.