CLI support for local vaults [not planned]

This discussion was created from comments split from: Overwrite a document via the CLI?.

Comments

• Yarek
    Yarek
    Community Member

I'm looking to integrate pass-rotate with 1password. op cli is great, but I'm starting to think that there would be more value if your team released and maintained the underlying library you use to interact with opvault format.

I see a few projects on github attempt at this already, but none of them seem to be active or go beyond proof of concept: https://github.com/search?q=opvault&ref=opensearch

Yarek Tyshchenko
    Healthforge

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Yarek: This is way off-topic, but we don't currently have plans to build a CLI app for local vaults. There are a lot of tools out there that support those, and 1Password.com accounts are what we need to support for this CLI app since that allows us to offer something across many platforms for users without having to deal with licensing. And 1Password.com is a very different beast to local vaults, so it isn't really feasible for anyone else to write this app. We'd rather focus our efforts here where we can make the most difference for the greatest number of people.

• Yarek
    Yarek
    Community Member

Ah, I was under the impression that local and cloud vaults are treated in the same way. Thanks for clarification @brenty.
    A way to edit an item (or maybe even just rotate its password) would be fantastic

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're welcome! And indeed, editing is something we'd like as well. Hopefully we can come up with a nice way to do that. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.