Locking settings for mac app

yevhen
yevhen
Community Member

I’d like to know what’s the point in locking the app every now and then? Can I just disable locking without losing any security guarantees you provide assuming I’m the only user and noone has access to my os account?

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @yevhen! Excellent question. 1Password is a security (and privacy) app. As such, although we like to offer our users a substantial amount of customizability and flexibility so they can set 1Password to their liking, there are a few assumptions that we operate on as a baseline. One of them is to not give people enough rope to hang themselves, to put it bluntly. An encrypted password manager that was able to be set to never encrypt the data would be significantly insecure. In fact, it would be little more than a purpose-built database. Things like our organizational capabilities, auto-filling and auto-submit and others are certainly helpful, even critical workflow tools. But the heart of 1Password is always security, and an encryption-based app that never actually encrypts its data just isn't secure. Thanks for taking the time to ask the question, and for being a 1Password user! :)

• yevhen
    yevhen
    Community Member

@Lars
    I’ll try to rephrase: whats the difference in terms of security between use cases when I unlock the app when I log into my os account and keep it unlocked till logout vs locking-unlocking every say five minutes? I did not mean turning off encryption totally.

• If you’re sitting at the computer the whole time then there is no real difference I suppose. The purpose of auto-locking is to prevent someone else from accessing your data while you’re away from your device.

Ben

• yevhen
    yevhen
    Community Member

@Ben thanks.

• You're welcome. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.