Using 1Password X with no wi-fi?

Options

My kids have taken quite well to using the full 1Password desktop app, but 1Password X looks like it might make things even easier for them.

However, I want them to use it at school and the wi-fi is patchy there. What's the advice on using 1Password X when there's no wi-fi? Where/how is the data cached?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018
    Options

@kp2u: Interesting! 1Password X caches encrypted data in the browser's local storage, so it would technically work. My concern would be getting the data there in the first place, and getting changes to sync later on. If it's a laptop or tablet that they also use at home, that probably won't be an issue. They'd just need to do the initial setup at home. But I do have to question the usefulness of a browser extension in an environment where there is no (usable) internet access. And if you mean that they'd be using 1Password on public computers, well...that's not something we could ever recommend. Who knows what's on those! :scream:

However, 1Password X may be useful to you even on a home computer since you could set it up in profiles in the browser for the kids. But I'd watch them. Never know when they might accidentally install malware on your machine. :dizzy:

• kp2u
    kp2u
    Community Member
    Options

Hm. That was kinda my thinking...they have their own personal devices with the full client installed but I don’t want to confuse them with two logins to two things called “1Password”.

I want to use X because it feels much more “usable” and is 100% THE BEST browser integration I’ve seen (on Chrome anyway.)

I guess it’ll come down to whether they can say if they’ve ever had long-lasting connectivity problems at school.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hm. That was kinda my thinking...they have their own personal devices with the full client installed but I don’t want to confuse them with two logins to two things called “1Password”.

@kp2u: I hear you. If there's anything else we can help your family with to get setup with 1Password, just let us know! :)

I want to use X because it feels much more “usable” and is 100% THE BEST browser integration I’ve seen (on Chrome anyway.)

Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you're enjoying 1Password X so much! And we accept your challenge: we'll keep working to make 1Password the best in any browser. ;)

I guess it’ll come down to whether they can say if they’ve ever had long-lasting connectivity problems at school.

I guess I'd still be uncertain of the utility of using 1Password offline in the browser in most cases, but if they can get a connection periodically that's good. I guess at least you won't have to worry about them spending too much time on the internet! :lol:

This discussion has been closed.