Auto-Type is not yet implemented for 1Password 7, planned for the future.

Thenollyon
Thenollyon
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I am coming from 1P4 and love the Ctrl + \ to fill Windows dialogs/prompts. Is this a feature in 1P7? I found the Ctrl + Alt + \ for the mini dialog but it doesn't find the right value/doesn't seem to associated that login one in the vault to populate the app. I also don't see a way to pull in the hidden dialog box name into the 1P7 URL as you could on 1P4.

1Password Version: 7.0.532
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• danielogc
    danielogc
    Community Member

I am used to just click the Auto Type button and my username and password would appear on the application or software that I am logging in. In 1P7 this Auto Type button is missing and each time I have to click copy then paste. Am I missing something here?

Also when I click the 'Settings' button, a sub-dialogue page appears for me to change the setting. After that I couldn't find the 'X' icon to close this sub-dialogue page. Clicking the 'X' at the top right corner closes the 1P7 app instead. I know you can just click F9 to close it but isn't the 'X' the conventional way of closing dialogue boxes/pages?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Thenollyon,

Auto-Type feature that would allow you to fill your credentials in Windows apps and prompts is not implemented in 1Password 7 for Windows yet. It is definitely on our todo list, but we have a lot of catching up to do, so it takes time. Thanks for letting us know it's important to you!

I also don't see a way to pull in the hidden dialog box name into the 1P7 URL as you could on 1P4.

I am not sure I understood you here. Could you please elaborate on this question? Thank you very much!

Cheers,
    Greg

• danielogc
    danielogc
    Community Member

Auto-Type is important to me as well. Please do put it back into 1P7 eventually. Thanks.

• MikeT
    edited April 2018

Hi @danielogc,

Thanks for writing in.

We will implement Auto-Type in a future update. We didn't remove it from 1Password 6/7, it is not based on 1Password 4 codebase, it is a separate codebase and it will take time to re-implement everything from scratch.

While Auto-Type is planned for the future, there is a basic Type in Window version that you could use if you need to type/paste something long in a third party app:

1. Open the app, focus the username field
    2. Bring up 1Password mini via Control + Alt + \, search for the item you want and right-click on it to expand the copy menu for username.
    3. You'll see a list of running windows that 1Password can type in, select that and 1Password will fill the username.
    4. Focus the password field in the app and bring up 1Password mini, you should see the last used item selected in the item list (it may be at the bottom) and repeat the process for password.

This will evolve into Auto-Type as we continue to improve 1Password.

ref: OPW-1991

• Hi @danielogc,

I hope you don't mind, I've merged your other related thread into this one.

• sysiphos
    sysiphos
    Community Member

Please put some more effort into autotype. Right now it is ridiculous to store credentials for windows servers that force entering password in that login screen within rdp session and do not allow pasting anything in there (especially when having to do this via citrix). Right now I have the options of trying to type everything manually which can be a pain when you choose complex passwords, choosing easy passwords or using keepass for such credentials which is stupid as well

• Hi @sysiphos,

Thanks for writing in. Auto-Type as mentioned here is on our list to implement in the future but we don't have an ETA. There are other higher priorities we have to deal with first before we can get to this.

I'm assuming your RDP client does not allow the basic Type In Window feature to type your data in?

• sysiphos
    sysiphos
    Community Member

Nope, unfortunately it doesn‘t which is a pain especially when getting forced to change passwords :(

• That is unfortunate. We'll get Auto-Type implemented as soon as we can.

• stephen_f_day
    stephen_f_day
    Community Member

We have a similar need, our users needing to connect to remote systems via RDP, FTP, Telnet, Citrix, etc. sessions. Will this feature be available soon?

• We can't reliably comment one when features no yet implemented will be available, @stephen_f_day. Auto-Type is definitely one often requested and thus likely to be a higher priority once we polish off some larger projects currently underway, but the typical adage still applies – nothing is real until it's shipped. Of course, I'll be sure to let the team know you're interested in seeing this feature as soon as possible. :+1:

• almost1pass
    almost1pass
    Community Member

I've been wanting to use 1password for my family, but the lack of this feature means that it would be a serious downgrade for my everyday experience compared to Keepass.. I would very much like to give you my money, but the autotype experience for everything except the browser is absolutely terrible.

• There's not much more I can share on this topic at the moment, @almost1pass. This isn't a lack of desire – I've personally been whining about filling in apps for a while – but a question of timing. As I feel like I've been mentioning forever, we've been working on a huge project that needs finishing before anything else and it's going to continue keeping us from working on things like autotype for a bit longer yet. Now, with that said, this is mostly under the hood stuff (boring!) so we have been trying to pepper in a few more interesting changes along the way. All of these depend on what happens in testing (both internal and in beta) and if any of them cause problems with those under the hood changes they're gonna go as those changes are important, so there's no guarantee all or any of these will make it to production, but my hope is that there will be some little improvements that will help here and with some other long requested things that come with the next version. Again, no guarantees, but in our perfect universe the next update should be a bit more exciting than a bunch of techy changes y'all don't necessarily notice.

Most importantly, though, once that update is out the door, we should be able to get back to a more frequent release schedule that better focuses on the stuff we prefer working on – things that make using 1Password easier and more fun. We're still not at a point where I can give any solid ETA, but we're getting closer every day and I sincerely hope I'll have more to share with y'all before too long. :chuffed:

• 0x49D1
    0x49D1
    Community Member
    edited March 2020

I'm in the process of migrating from KeePass and the thing I really miss is their implementation of autotype with only hotkey. For now 1Password slows me down in my day-to-day work as a developer. Really hope to see some better implementation then the one which is available now: open the main app, find the right entry, right click, navigate, find the right window title, click! oooh! 1Password is more secure option for me: all the applications are maintained by 1 commercially interested company, who has not been compromised in it's entire existence. Just it's the app that lacks some important automation options right now.

• Hi @0x49D1,

Thanks for writing in.

I do agree that the current implementation isn't very optimal at all in terms of using a single hotkey for filling in other apps. We're working as fast as humanly possible to get the app ready for this but there are other priorities in the way that we need to resolve before we can get here.

We did add field drag and drop support in the last major update, that could be faster for you as it may work in more apps than Type in Windows can (because of limitations of finding all windows on Windows like UWP being hidden to us).

• 0x49D1
    0x49D1
    Community Member
    edited March 2020

@MikeT drag&drop seems nice, it also seems like a more secure version then copy/paste, because it's clearing the clipboard buffer right after the action is completed, but is very hard to use on laptop without mouse. Still OK, thank you for mentioning it, I'm new user and the feature was unknown to me.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@0x49D1: Drag&Drop is new to 1Password for Windows as well, so no worries. On behalf of Mike you are very welcome! :)

Please let us know if you have other questions, we are always ready to help.

Cheers,
    Greg

• 0x49D1
    0x49D1
    Community Member

@Greg by the way I've small feedback on the drag&drop feature: can you HIDE the 1Password app during dragging action? For now I have to first open the 1Password app, then move it a bit on a screen so that I can see the place where I need to drop the dragged result. It will be better to work like the "screenshot" app: when drag activates - hide the 1Password window and allow the user to see the whole screen.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @0x49D1,

It sounds like an interesting idea, but it is not easy to hide the main 1Password window and then bring it back (there is a lot of technical pitfalls). I will forward your feedback to our team, but I would recommend you to use 1Password mini instead. When you press CTRL + ALT + \, 1Password mini appears next to your cursor and it is really convenient to drag your credentials from there.

Please give it a spin and let me know how it works for you. Thanks! :+1:

Stay safe,
    Greg

• 0x49D1
    0x49D1
    Community Member

@Greg there is no drag'n'drop in 1Password mini for Windows. Only click->open browser tab. And I need the functionality to work with other desktop apps like ssh terminals..

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@0x49D1: Could you please specify the version of 1Password you are using?

Drag and Drop is available in both 1Password 7 and 1Password mini on Windows starting with 1Password 7.4.750 (see the release notes here).

All you need to do is right-click the item you need in 1Password mini and then drag the username or password menu item to the app you want to fill your credentials in. Doesn't it work for you?

Thanks!

++
    Greg

• 0x49D1
    0x49D1
    Community Member
    edited April 2020

@Greg oh, now I see! This was not intuitive at all, until you mentioned how the action must be completed.. So I need to go into submenu of copy and then look for the label I want -> drag the menu item itself.
    Got it, thanks!
    PS: and can you tell if this method is more secure then copy/paste or basically the same thing?

• @0x49D1 it's a bit more secure, because when you release mouse 1Password will emulate mouse click at that location and it will make system believe you are pressing keys on your keyboard. That way your data does not have to go through clipboard and it actually works with some apps like Steam.

• BSi
    BSi
    Community Member

Could someone please give us an update on this request? When could we expect a working autotype implementation? Honestly this is the only reason our company did not implemented 1Password yet and still using KeePass as it supports autotype on Windows.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

I do not have anything to share in regards to Auto-Type, @BSi. Since we have Drag and Drop in 1Password 7 for Windows, we are now busy with other higher priority tasks. However, this feature is still on our plate, as we understand how convenient it can be. Sorry for this inconvenience.

Have you tried drag and drop? Does it work for you?

Thanks!

++
    Greg

• BSi
    BSi
    Community Member

Thanks for the update @Greg . Drag & drop more or less works (sometimes the overlay window hides the target GUI element which makes it really uncomfortable to use, and sometimes it simply does nothing, the underlying UI widget left empty), however it's rather cumbersome and inconvenient compared to the real auto-type. The only plus side compared to copy-paste is the security surplus it gives by skipping the not-so-secure clipboard.

I know how prioritizing features works, and I could imagine the reasoning behind the drag and drop as an alternative to auto-type during a feature meeting, but to be honest these two things are nowhere near the same. Moreover as drag and drop also needs to identify the underlying GUI element, I don't see the huge difference in regards to implementation between the keystroke emulation behind drag and drop and auto-type. As far as I could see, the main difference is that for auto-type you have to know the UI widget ID which was active when the hotkey has been pressed.

Anyway, until real auto-type gets implemented, is it possible to prevent 1Password from displaying all of the active windows when right clicking an element in 1Password Mini? As I have quite a few windows open, the list fills up the entire screen in height and its hard to click "copy" on the top of the list. Moreover selecting the window in the list ("type in window") could be a nice touch if it would work, however it have quite a few disadvantages:
    - it does not work for all windows
    - the list shows all opened windows, which are typically too much and makes it really inconvenient to choose the right one
    - the list does not prioritize correctly the most recent window, it seems that it cannot distinguish the various windows of the same application, it simply chooses the most recently started application window, but not the most recently displayed one

This is how it usually looks like for me:

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @BSi,

That is a lot of windows you have there, no doubt. I totally understand where you are coming from and I will pass your feedback to our team. As for:

is it possible to prevent 1Password from displaying all of the active windows when right clicking an element in 1Password Mini?

I am afraid it is not possible to customise it right now. We are looking at ways to rework and improve this experience in the future, but I am not allowed to share anything now, sorry. We try not to share our development plans.

Again, I apologise for this inconvenience with 1Password 7 for Windows. I wish I had other workarounds for you, but I don't.

If you have other questions about 1Password for Windows or 1Password in general, we are always happy to help. Thanks!

Stay safe,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.