Upgraded to 7.2.572 now nothing works

Andrew42
Andrew42
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I have just been upgraded automatically to 7.2.572 and now nothing works. I click on 1P icon in Firefox select a favorite, the web site opens and notihng populates. I click on the favorite again and nothing happens. This is with any of my log ins. To reach the forum I had to copy and paste both user name and password.
Any thoughts? At the moment my 1P7 is all but unusable.

1Password Version: 7.2.572
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: W10 Pro
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @Andrew42,

Thanks for reporting this. I've moved your thread to our Windows Beta forum since 7.2.572 is a beta update.

I'm using 7.2 with 1Password extension in Firefox, no issues for me.

When 1Password automatically updated, was Firefox already running? If yes, try restarting Firefox, they do need to be restarted after any 1Password update.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Thanks Mike. Restarting Firefox, (rebooting) did not work so I refreshed it, reconfigured my Home Page, re-installed the IP extension and now everything is as it should be. That is the first time I have ever faced that problem in all my time with 1P and Firefox. Is there a simpler way to restart Firefox?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Usually just quitting it and opening it again. I'm not aware of any other way to restart the browser. I'd definitely check Help > About first for an update though. Cheers! :)

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member

So, this is the question: I always thought when Mini announced a new release, we were good to go. Or is it announcing a new release just because FF/Mini sees the new release because we have restarted the browser along the way? Is that the only way for FF to see the new version?

• MikeT
    edited July 2018

Hi @leesweet,

So, this is the question: I always thought when Mini announced a new release, we were good to go. Or is it announcing a new release just because FF/Mini sees the new release because we have restarted the browser along the way? Is that the only way for FF to see the new version?

Here's how it typically works (without anti-malware locking files, browser bugs, etc):

1. 1Password has an update, it downloads the update and then runs the updater file
    2. The updater runs, inform to all extensions connected to 1Password that it is about to be updated
    3. The 1Password extension disconnects for about 20 full seconds
    4. Updater runs and install the latest 1Password version, updates registry and then runs 1Password. When the 20-second timer expires, all 1Password browser extensions will reconnect to 1Password based on the updated registry entities that should point to the new version.

This works great 90% of the times. Unfortunately, we've seen weird stuff like the anti-malware solution locking files or scanning files that delays the install to be more than 20 seconds long and the extension reconnects to the old versioned Native Messaging files that was supposed to be replaced. It shouldn't happen but it is quite common. We're working on a side project to find a different approach to this.

We've seen Chrome and Firefox having pending updates that breaks the connection and often fixed by simply restarting the browser because restarting not only installs the pending browser updates but also extensions.

So, restarting the browser itself is not technically required but because of various unexpected conditions that it can help address, it is the first thing we recommend. It's the same reason why "reboot your computer" became a thing, it's easier to restart everything then to question each program. The number of times we suggest this and problems are magically resolved is too high. 🐼

Note: this does not include 1Password extension for Edge, which is a totally separate system.

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member

Excellent, thanks, just wanted to be sure that we did get the Mini/extension update without restarting FF/Chrome normally (which is what I thought I'd seen in practice).

• You're welcome and yes, you normally can get both 1Password mini and 1Password extension updates without having to restart the browser.

This discussion has been closed.