Best practice for multi-family 1Password sharing

Options
noaht8um
noaht8um
Community Member

Hello,

My wife and I have been using the 1Password Families subscription for a few months now, and we love it. Now, I have been using 1Password myself since before we were married (2013ish) and I got my in-laws to use it as well. They are still on the standalone license for 1Password 6.

Just to make things complicated, I work for them full-time and my wife part-time. It's a small, family business, but we have occasion to share passwords quite frequently. I know you can invite guests to your 1Password account, but what does that give you exactly (if this is in the KB somewhere I apologize; couldn't find it)?

I know it's not really "kosher" to invite everyone to the same account, since they're a separate household, but other than teams which would be pretty pricey, I can't figure out my best option.

In summary, My wife and I are on families, my in-laws are on 1Password 6, and I want a way to setup a shared vault for all of us. They'll need to upgrade to some subscription, but I don't know what.

If it comes down to a limitation of families, that I could understand; I just want to make sure I can make an informed decision.

Thanks
Noah

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Noah,
    if you have some users slots free in your 1Password Family subscription, you can invite your in-laws and they can create an account.

Concerning guests vs. regular members: basically, guests don't have a private vault and are restricted to only one vault which you assign them. Here's a KB article that explains guests accounts: https://support.1password.com/guests/

Guests are fine in general, but one usability problem could be, if you want to share more than one vault with them, you have to remove them from one and add them to the other.

So maybe inviting your in-laws as regular members would be the best. I assume they might have some passwords they don't want to share, and then each of them having a private vault would come in handy.

Plus, it's called 1Password Family and I don't know if having them only as "guests" would make them happy ;)

I know it's not really "kosher" to invite everyone to the same account, since they're a separate household, but other than teams which would be pretty pricey, I can't figure out my best option.

AFAIK 1Password Family does not restrict usage of the subscription to a household. It's not like Spotify where the terms say you have to live together to use a Family account.
    But I may be wrong and someone from AB should answer that to be on the safe side

• Hi @noaht8um,

Manaburner's answers look right to me.

We don't have any requirements about households. However you define your family is just fine with us... I know that a number of us AgileBits employees have our parents on our 1Password Families accounts. I think adding them to your account makes the most sense. This way you can help them with recovery later if need be.

There's just two things that I can think of that you should be aware of if you go down that route:

1. If you decide to make them Family Organizers as well, then they're going to have access (or the ability to give themselves access) to any shared vault in the account.
    2. We don't recommend 1Password Families in a "business" scenario. It's very limited as compared to 1Password Teams because it's specifically geared towards home use.

I hope that helps.

Rick

• noaht8um
    noaht8um
    Community Member
    Options

@rickfillion Thanks for the info, Rick!

I think I'm good with me just being the Family Organizer, provided I can create a vault for them to share, and leave myself out of it.

As far as the Teams comparison, that makes sense; we actually have a Teams account with the early bird pricing locked in, but haven't un-froze it yet. That I see down the future as the company grows.

Thanks again,
    Noah

• You're welcome. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Rick

• karlegas
    karlegas
    Community Member
    Options

I have some question about the vaults and copy and move passwords.

Since the Shared Vault doesn't have any permissions with the family, there is not so much control who can see or create new passwords on it, I prefer create a new vault for the Kids only passwords. I can delete the Shared Vault and recreate later with that name or will be lost forever its features? There's not option hide in the panel and app, so only can delete it, because if I uncheck in the preferences doesn't shows the passwords but still shows the vault.

If I copy or move the passwords to the Kids vault, in the case I need to change the password info then I need copy again so is better move and have only passwords in each vault to easily update them?

The private vault cannot rename it?

Karl

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Since the Shared Vault doesn't have any permissions with the family, there is not so much control who can see or create new passwords on it, I prefer create a new vault for the Kids only passwords.

@karlegas: Yep! You can create a vault and share it with some, all, or none of your family members. :)

I can delete the Shared Vault and recreate later with that name or will be lost forever its features? There's not option hide in the panel and app, so only can delete it, because if I uncheck in the preferences doesn't shows the passwords but still shows the vault.

You can delete it if you want to, but most people find it's incredibly useful to have a Shared vault that all invited family members can access automatically. It's a great place for garage door codes, security system information, emergency stuff, Netflix account credentials, and so on. It's up to you though.

If I copy or move the passwords to the Kids vault, in the case I need to change the password info then I need copy again so is better move and have only passwords in each vault to easily update them? The private vault cannot rename it?

It's possible to rename the Personal/Private vault in 1Password for Mac version 7 by editing its properties from the ••• button. It's better to keep an item in only a single vault. Copies in other vaults are only copies. If you make changes in one vault, they will not be reflected in another. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.