Preserving selected category across lock/unlocks

Options

1Password used to remember the last selected category (in offline vaults) and I tend to always click "Favorites" when I unlock my online vault.
I have had this issue since migrating to 1password online service.

Could we get the option to remember the last selected category across lock/unlocks so that I don't have to search/click "Favorites" every time I need to get a password from my (quite large) vault?

I'm aware that the team is working on "Suggested Items", and while I appreciate this, that doesn't completely solve my issue.

This is what I get every time I unlock my vault (Windows version, issue valid for 1PasswordX as well):

Note: Selected category appears to be cleared after locking the vault. It works as intended when re-opening the menu without locking it.
Note2: The issue is also present in 1Password for Windows Version 7.1.567

1Password Version: 7.1.567
Extension Version: 1.8.2
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 1803 (OS Build 17134.191)
Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• Thanks for writing in, @Xenhat, and welcome to the forum! I moved your post to the Windows category as I think the trouble with 1Password X is likely more connected to some differences between how 1Password X behaves compared standard extension you'd have used with your standalone vault and the real issue is 100% Windows. I'll start by explaining what I'm getting at there.

Unlike the standard extension, 1Password X works only in your browser. That means if you are on a website's sign-in page when you open it, you'll see the proper suggested item, just as you would see matching items at the top of your list with your standalone vault. If you ever bring up mini outside of your browser, though, you'll still be seeing the old school mini, not 1Password X. That mini is coming from 1Password for Windows and actually has nothing to do with the extension at all. So, what will you see when? In your browser, using 1Password X, you'll see suggested items on sign-in pages, and the last selected category on the browser's start page. This is working fine for me with favorites – if I open a new tab, then open and unlock 1Password X, select favorites, then lock and unlock it again, I still see my favorites right away. Outside your browser using Ctrl + Alt + \? That shows 1Password for Windows' mini and, indeed, this doesn't display the category you have selected in 1Password for Windows. This is actually intentional for the moment. Mini on Windows lacks some of the super powers of its Mac cousin in that searching mini on Windows will only show results for the selected category. On Mac, searching searches All Items. It's a small thing, but the difference is that searching (what most folks do with mini outside a browser) is something naturally done in All Items. Since Mac can search All Items from any category, it can remember your selected category without impacting search. Windows can't yet, so it shows All Items every time. Once it catches up with Mac, though, I'd wager it'll join the party and start remembering your selected category, too. Regardless, I'll definitely pass your feedback onto the team. :+1:

Now, in the main app, I'm not seeing this issue at all. If I select Favorites then lock and unlock 1Password 7, Favorites is still selected for me. That said, if you happen to change categories in mini, that will also change what's selected in the main app. So, if you're using mini to copy/paste into an app outside your browser (where 1Password X isn't available), or in a browser where 1Password X isn't supported, this could be changing your selection in the main app as well. If you unlock 1Password 7, select Favorites, then immediately lock and unlock it again, do you find your selected category persists or is it changing? If you're seeing it change still, I'd like you to try something:

1. Make your window bigger or smaller – either is fine, just enough that it will definitely be noticeable if it changes.
    2. Click the X to close 1Password.
    3. Ctrl + click the 1Password icon in your notification area to reopen the main app.

Did 1Password remember what size it was? This and your selected category are remembered in the same way – in a dynamic file that updates as you change how 1Password is displayed and what you have selected. If none of this is being remembered, it may be that something is preventing 1Password from properly writing to that file or otherwise clearing your settings and that's something we should be able to track down (and fix!). Let me know what you find! :chuffed:

• Xenhat
    Xenhat
    Community Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

Hello, thank you for the move and the quick reply.

I understand the issue better now, and I have managed to narrow down the spectrum of my main annoyances.
    After some more testing, I also determined that I was wrong, and that 1Password X does default to Favorites.

Regarding your suggested tests, 1Password for Windows behaves correctly (so far, I have not tried restarting my computer).

I have narrowed down to the following: 1Password Mini seems to forcefully re-select the "All Items" category every time it is invoked, regardless of the previously selected category or item (in my case, "Favorites"), even if the last selected item was part of the last selected category (favorites in my case).

This seems to be slightly different than what you explained.
    This is my main issue, as I run into it several times per day.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018
    Options

@Xenhat: Indeed, it can be a bit confusing to use 1Password X on a machine with the 1Password desktop apps because they're designed to be independent of each other. The reason 1Password X exists is so that people who can't install a native 1Password app (i.e. Linux, Chrome OS, work computers) on their computer can still use 1Password in their browser. So 1Password X is intentionally completely self-sufficient: it runs entirely in the browser. So that's the idea behind it, but we're also using it as a bit of a playground for some new things we've wanted to try in 1Password. The ones that are successful may make it to the desktop extensions as well. I wonder if part of the confusion is that you don't actually have that installed:

https://1password.com/browsers/

If you don't, the 1Password desktop app has no connection to the browser. It depends on its extension to integrate with it. Without it present, no matter what, when you open the main 1Password window or 1Password mini, it cannot reflect whatever you're doing in your browser because I has no foothold there.

Even if you do have the desktop extension installed, pressing Ctrl Alt \ is the shortcut to open 1Password mini to search. This also will ignore whatever else you're doing and just let you quickly find anything in your vault(s). But if you press Ctrl \ in the web browser (where the desktop extension is installed) or click 1Password's toolbar icon in the browser, that has 1Password either fill the matching login on the current page (if there is only one) or opens 1Password mini to let you select the one you wish to fill (if there are two or more that match the current URL).

I hope that helps clarify things, but be sure to let us know if you have any other extensions. :) questions (I guess I wrote "extensions" so many times my fingers thought another wouldn't hurt! :lol: )

• Xenhat
    Xenhat
    Community Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

I think there is misunderstanding on my issue. I wasn't very clear in the beginning and I learned a bit from your answers.

Ignoring the 1Password X scenario entirely (I understand your points and I am aware that they function separately), I was outlining the fact that I have to "search" for my login every time the 1Password Mini user interface is invoked because it does not appear to remember its selected category.

I was also mentioning that I wished it would default to "Favorites" instead of "All Items".

Something I noticed however, is that it will remember the last selected item, but it will scroll to it in the "All Items" category when closed and re-opened. That is a confusing behavior change from what I'm used to (1password Desktop re-opens in the correct category).

These are the two things I would like to see fixed in the future:
    1. Persistence of 1Password Mini selected category
    2. Configuration for the default selection should the data for 1. be missing. (i.e "Automatically open Mini to this category: [ Favorites ]")

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I was outlining the fact that I have to "search" for my login every time the 1Password Mini user interface is invoked because it does not appear to remember its selected category.

@Xenhat: Can you tell me the context? 1Password mini is, in the browser, all about context. How are you opening it? What's the current URL when you do so? Its behaviour depends on those things, as I outlined above.

I was also mentioning that I wished it would default to "Favorites" instead of "All Items".

As Kate mentioned, it is intentional that 1Password mini defaults to All Items with the current design. We'll keep your feedback in mind as we design future versions though.

These are the two things I would like to see fixed in the future:
    1. Persistence of 1Password Mini selected category
    2. Configuration for the default selection should the data for 1. be missing. (i.e "Automatically open Mini to this category: [ Favorites ]"

The spec is to have 1Password mini remember where you left off temporarily, for when you return to it after using it to look up something and switching away briefly. We don't want it to persist long-term, as that breaks the contextual nature of 1Password mini, whose primary function is filling logins on websites. There may be ways we can accommodate your personal preference as well to some extent, but it needs to be considered carefully and the primary purpose of mini carries a heavy weight. For what you're describing, the main 1Password window is a better fit, since you can work there completely separate from the browser, and 1Password will remember what you've selected in the sidebar when you open it, and maintain your current view even if you go and do something with mini in the browser. I hope that helps shed some light on our goals here. Thank you for bringing this up! :)

• Xenhat
    Xenhat
    Community Member
    Options

Greetings again,

I do not currently use 1password mini for my browser, I use 1Password X instead (I prefer its integration and autofill behaviour, which seemed more fleshed out when the Firefox version came out recently -- Thank you so much for this, by the way.). Strange choice, I know. Sorry for the confusion.

@Xenhat: Can you tell me the context? 1Password mini is, in the browser, all about context. How are you opening it? What's the current URL when you do so? Its behaviour depends on those things, as I outlined above.

Perhaps we have a conflict in nomenclature? When I say "1Password Mini", I refer the the standalone reduced UI rendered within the (Windows) Operating System UI framework, which is invoked by the taskbar menu or the keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+Alt+\):

Can you Tell me the context?

Several "Native" (non-browser) applications I use requires me to enter passwords (Steam, most MMO games, etc), so I use 1password Mini to log in. Some of them do not remember the password for security reasons, so I end up having to open this menu quite often in the same day (anywhere between 2 and 10 times).

My current workflow is the following:

1. Open 1password Mini
    2. Enter master password if necessary
    3. Search for my application name (because it does not always scroll back to it even if it is the last login I copied)
    4. Copy password with the mouse (I miss the old shortcut to automatically copy password)
    5. Alt-Tab back to the application if it does not support rendering 1Password Mini on top (Fullscreen Exclusive or other reason)
    6. Paste password
    7. Login

Points 3. and 4. feels quite clunky, and that is my main complaint.

As Kate mentioned, it is intentional that 1Password mini defaults to All Items with the current design. We'll keep your feedback in mind as we design future versions though.

Understood.

For what you're describing, the main 1Password window is a better fit, since you can work there completely separate from the browser, and 1Password will remember what you've selected in the sidebar when you open it, and maintain your current view even if you go and do something with mini in the browser.

I understand your point. I do most of my complex editing like attaching files and cleaning up entries in the Windows app, but I do not really use it to insert logins anymore since more compact UI have appeared (Mini and X with their contextual menus). This in no way means I do not care about the Windows app's functionality, I simply find the contextual menu to be major time savers, and they use less screen real estate when I simply want to log in somewhere.

I'll be happy to provide more information should the team need them.
    You can ask me moderately complex questions and tests, I have been doing IT and computer debug/repair for over 10 years, and am moderately fluent in C++,C#, bash and general Windows/Linux environments. :smile:

• Xenhat
    Xenhat
    Community Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

Wow, I found a major bug in the web page: I edited my comment and it completely deleted it.

Edit: it did it again!

"Your comment will appear after it is approved".

I guess I tripped the security mechanism with my edits.

Simply keep the most recent version I suppose.

• Xenhat
    Xenhat
    Community Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

What I could salvage from my previous post:

Greetings again,

I do not currently use 1password mini for my browser, I use 1Password X instead (I prefer its integration and autofill behaviour, which seemed more fleshed out when the Firefox version came out recently -- Thank you so much for this, by the way.). Strange choice, I know. Sorry for the confusion.

If it is causing issues to have both on the same machine, I can try to switch to the desktop extension provided by /browsers.

Perhaps we have a conflict in nomenclature? When I say "1Password Mini", I refer the the standalone reduced UI rendered within the (Windows) Operating System UI framework, which is invoked by the taskbar icon's menu or Ctrl+Alt+\.

(Rest of my message was lost, above was salvaged by clipboard)

A quick resume of what I wrote:

Can you tell me the context?

I mostly use 1password mini (in its native form) to fill in passwords for other native apps, such as Steam, MMOs, GitHub client, etc.

My current workflow:
    1. Invoke 1Password Mini from shortcut
    2. Enter Master Password if necessary
    3. Search for my last used login (it's been too long and it forgot)
    4. Use mouse to press the copy button (I miss the shortcuts to copy username, but mostly password values, can we get those back?)
    5. Alt-Tab back to my application if it did not support rendering Mini on top (Fullscreen or some other condition)
    6. Paste login information, mostly password as the username is remembered or easily entered manually
    7. Log in to my application

Points 3 and 4 are the main problem here and it feels like it needs some improvement.

My most frequently used entry is "Warframe" which is a Free to Play game, and since it starts with W, it is one of the last items in my list. Remembering which login was used for a little longer and not scrolling into "All Items" if it is present in a smaller category (such as Favorites) would possibly be an improvement on both the performance and visual aspect.

Feel free to ask me more complicated questions and steps to try, I have been doing IT and computer fixing/debugging for at least 10 years, and I am fluent in C++,C#, Bash and some Python, as well as general Windows and Linux operating system knowledge.

Xenhat

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Xenhat,

Thank you for your detailed reply! I have found your posts and restored them. Sorry about that.

If you fill your credentials in other Windows apps besides your browser, the workaround you are using now should work fine for you, but I want you to know that we have plans to bring Auto-Type to 1Password for Windows in the future. This feature will allow you to fill your credentials in other Windows apps (where you have sign in forms) and will be quite helpful.

At the moment, you can also use Type in Window functionality in 1Password mini. Press Ctrl + Alt + \, find the Login item that you need, then right click on username/password and select the window you want to fill your credentials in:

Please give it a try and let us know if it works for you. Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• Xenhat
    Xenhat
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

These are good news. I liked that feature as well.

I shall try it.

• Xenhat
    Xenhat
    Community Member
    Options

My application window does not appear to be recognized, as it is not listed in the dropdown :-1:

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Xenhat,

That would mean the window itself is not the standard window type or the app is elevated, the latter is something we can't do because of permissions. Auto-Type would be the solution for the non-standard windows but we don't have a timeframe on that.

We do plan to add more custom window types like UWP apps as well but they're a bit more difficult.

• Xenhat
    Xenhat
    Community Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

I figured it out: 1password Mini doesn't appear to list windows who are running in "Borderless Windowed" mode. I'm not familiar enough with the Win32 API to know if it's possible at all to get the required information from a window with such style, but the application was listed after I switched to windowed mode.

EDIT: I am however unable to use the "Type in window" functionality for this specific application. Perhaps the UI/Engine does not expose the correct control names, or any at all?

EDIT2: In any case, I feel like this ticket has greatly diverged from its title. If that causes a problem, I can make a new ticket. Otherwise I am perfectly content to continue providing feedback in this thread.

• MikeT
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hi @Xenhat,

1password Mini doesn't appear to list windows who are running in "Borderless Windowed" mode. I'm not familiar enough with the Win32 API to know if it's possible at all to get the required information from a window with such style, but the application was listed after I switched to windowed mode.

Interesting, we'll look into it. Thanks for the details, it'll give us a chance to try out Warframe. 😸

ref: opw/opw#2917

EDIT2: In any case, I feel like this ticket has greatly diverged from its title. If that causes a problem, I can make a new ticket. Otherwise I am perfectly content to continue providing feedback in this thread.

It's fine for now. If it gets too much, we can split them out into their own threads. We've filed bug reports as needed and will figure things out.

• Xenhat
    Xenhat
    Community Member
    Options

All right.
    Thank you for your time, I'll keep an eye out for future mentions and replies. :)

• MikeT
    Options

You're welcome! Thanks for taking the time to write in.

This discussion has been closed.