Search Result Prioritization

Options
ottonomy
ottonomy
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Apology/Disclaimer: The beta forum may not be the most appropriate place to post what is essentially a feature enhancement request, and not an issue with 1Password 7 beta, per se, but since this major new version of 1P is still in beta, and there is perhaps time to tweak things, I think it's worth bringing up this very popular topic. The multiple (closed) previous threads seem to have gathered receptive feedback from agilebits staff, but progress has been negligible...

Can we please please please get some better prioritization of search results?

Specifically, top results should include exact matches of the beginnings of titles, before any mid-string matches, and search should filter out matches for common domain suffixes, such as .com, .net, .org...

Examples:

Search for "Apple" should return results starting with Apple higher in the list than, for instance, "Ann's Apple account".

Search for "gmail" should first return items beginning with "gmail", then items where gmail is contained within the first set of characters not containing a space ("example@gmail.com"), then finally other entries which contain gmail, but later in string ("Dropbox - example@gmail.com").

Search for "com" should return results for items beginning with or containing "comedy" or "comcast" before any results containing ".com"

As evidence for demand, I submit the following previous related topics:
https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/81591/order-of-search-results

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/42179/apparently-unrelated-top-hit-search-result-doesnt-match-query

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/28541/search-and-sorting-when-search-all-fields-is-set

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/20707/feature-tweak-search-result-prioritization

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/65602/prioritize-search-results-always-clicking-show-more

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/75582/prioritizing-favorites-and-exact-title-matches-in-search-results

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/249637/search-not-working-properly

I'd also very much like to see an option to increase the number of results visible before needing to click "Show x more items". I'm really weary of the extra clicks to see the items I'm looking for. Given the option, I would always show all results. Or maybe at least the first 30 or so...

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @ottonomy. I’m not aware of any plans for change in this area pre-7.0, but perhaps it is something we can consider for a 7.x update. I can certainly see how what your proposing could be beneficial, but I can also see how this could be considered a preferential thing and everyone may not agree. I’ll pass the suggestions along to the team.

Ben

• ottonomy
    ottonomy
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Ben!

I have two follow up suggestions then...

1. Give your forum users some way to thumb-up/down posts (particularly useful in closed topics), so that you can assess the cumulative feedback for an idea when someone refers back to it, as I have with the topics above.
    2. User suggestion polls
  • Ben
    Options

While I understand where you are coming from with those ideas... I’m not sure that is the direction we want to go. For one any sort of “voting” system can give the impression that “the idea / position with the most votes wins” and that simply isn’t how it works. We do closely monitor customer feedback via a number of venues, including (but not limted to) this forum, and that is definitely one of the major factors we look at when making decisions.

Ben

• ottonomy
    ottonomy
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben, you make a good point that publishing polls could tend to create unrealistic expectations. I think, however, that because A] old threads here are routinely closed, and B] there is no post ranking system, agilebits has created a forum environment where you fail to gather a great deal of potential user feedback, and in a sense outright discourage it. Anyone who's joined a lot of forums knows that before creating a new topic, one should always do a search to see if there are existing topics on the same subject. Doing that here, and finding multiple related topics, all closed, with no way to say +1, no way to ask if the idea is being considered or merely forgotten, makes me feel a bit hopeless, and reluctant to attempt to post on the topic again, lest I annoy the moderators with a duplicate. Clearly, this one was important enough to me that I overcame that reluctance. Next to the inability to fill basic http authentication dialogs, it's the most glaringly broken feature of 1Password.

• Ben
    Options

Sorry about that @ottonomy. I know in many forum systems a thread may be closed to discourage further discussion of the topic, but that isn’t generally why it is done here. With the exception of conversations that we’re trying to move to email for privacy reasons almost all threads that are closed here are done automatically after a time of inactivity. The intention is to help prevent stale information from resurfacing. As things tend to change rather rapidly information that was posted 6 months ago may be stale twice over. If you’re interested in a feature that has an existing thread that has been closed please feel free to start a new one so we can have a fresh discussion about it.

There are a zillion things that would be ‘nice to have’ or may appear to not function to their maxumum potential, but it all comes down to priorities. Right now we’re focused on getting a stable version of 1Password 7 out the door across multiple platforms and so things that don’t directly affect that are likely to be put on the back burner. That isn’t to say that we aren’t happy to talk about them, or that they may not be considered further down the line. We do often have to say “not right now” (usually not in exactly those words), but we rarely say “no” (unless we’re talking about syncing 1Password data via WebDAV).

As far as HTTP basic authentication... It is probably one of our more long standing requests to have support for this in our browser extensions, but it isn’t a frequent request. More and more systems are moving away from HTTP basic auth and the audience for it was narrow to begin with. So though we’ve had to say “not right now” for some time, that is unfortunately going to continue to be the answer for the forseeable future. It isn’t a “no,” but I don’t see us making progress on it unless the landscape shifts or we get to a point where we’re a good portion of the way down the “nice to have” list. What may be seemingly a basic thing (I mean basic is in the name — right?) it would be a fairly large undertaking to implement. There is no standard across web browsers for how extensions can interact with such authentication windows. I’m not sure it is still the case, but at a time when this request was more popular one or more of the major browsers that we support did not have any sort of an API for extensions to access these fields.

The best I can suggest is to keep bringing feedback to our attention if issues remain or features have not been implemented, and there hasn’t been discussion on it in a while. But please don’t be offended if it seems like we often have to say “not right now.”

Ben

• pasquale
    pasquale
    Community Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

I would also like login suggestions to be better organized when hitting command-\. I work for a web design firm, and many sites that we have in progress use subdomains of a primary domain name (website.shareddomainname.com). It would be nice if exact URL matches would show first, followed by others sharing the primary domain name (*.shareddomainname.com). Earlier versions of 1Password seemed to be smarter about this, but something happened with v7.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It would be nice if exact URL matches would show first, followed by others sharing the primary domain name (*.shareddomainname.com).

@pasquale: That's how it works:

If you're seeing something different, please be specific.

• pasquale
    pasquale
    Community Member
    Options

My apologies, I was trying to put in this issue and did not quite put in what I intended. I can confirm that yes, the default view of 1Password is as you have in your screenshot.

My example is here:

The problem comes in when I try to filter those results. My company made its own proprietary CMS years ago, and we called it The Gadget. We have lots of saved passwords for the Gadget logins for our clients' sites. However, when I search for the word "Gadget" to get to the gadget login for this particular site (enovativepiano.com, as an example), the search results are unweildy. I would expect the current site to continue providing context to the 1Password filter, and show "enovativepiano.com Gadget Login FF client.." to show first. Instead, I get a purely alphabetized list of all the Gadget logins:

• Hi @ottonomy @pasquale ,

We do have an issue raised with the development team to improve the prioritization of search results. I'm not certain exactly when it will be available, but we are aware of the need for improvement and are working on it.

Cheers,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.