New browser plugin interface is less intuitive

Having just upgraded to the new Chrome and Safari browser plugins, I'm sorry to say I think it's actually less intuitive and more difficult to use than the previous version. It's not much of an inconvenience to me as a relative power-user, but I got my senior-aged parents started on 1Password recently and they're having problems figuring out this new version for several reasons:

- The icons are now too small and too similar to instantly recognize which one is which.

- The icons no longer include text subtitles to help with this.

- The text now is quite a bit smaller than before.

- The visual prompt for saving a password is now much easier to miss. Putting the prompt in a thin gray bar at the top of the screen instead of a big popup window prompt may be slicker visually, but it's also less intuitive and less helpful for some users.

I realize some people may prefer the new, more compact interface, but I'd like to suggest 1Password has become less friendly as a result. Offering a "friendly" option with bigger fonts, subtitles, and such, would be a good solution.

Thanks for your work!

Comments

• doone128
    doone128
    Community Member
    ianesque wrote:

I realize some people may prefer the new, more compact interface...

I, personally, don't know anybody who prefers the new interface - apart from Agile themselves!
  • Ianesque,

I completely agree with what you say, and would like to add to the list of disprovements the fact that while there are miniscule icons in the drop down menu, the icons in the application itself are about a square kilometer in size, which means that scrolling through logins and finding them visually is difficult, since you can only see a few logins per page due to their enormous size.

All this, of course, in addition to the fact that the app now refuses to either save (FF) passwords, or retrieve them correctly (FF & Chrome and possibly others) for any domain with subdomains.

However, I don't think it matters whether you a poweruser or not. I have paid for a functional application, and I'm not getting it, poweruser or not.
  • Chris Peden
    Chris Peden
    Community Member
    I have to agree. From a productivity standpoint, its actually more clicks and typing to get information from 1P. One thing I do like is that I can go into items and copy usernames and passwords directly from the extension.
  • Thank you for the feedback, everyone! We're constantly improving 1Password and we will keep your comments in mind as we continue our quest to make 1Password the best it can be.

Oh, and by the way: welcome to the forums, ianesque! I'm glad you joined to share your thoughts and help us improve :)
  • davebarnes
    davebarnes
    Community Member
    ianesque wrote:
    The icons are now too small and too similar to instantly recognize which one is which.

I definitely agree with this one.
  • macer
    macer
    Community Member
    I've been using 1Password for a few years now and have always loved it. But I could not agree more with the others regarding the new interface. It is completely unusable; so much that I'm looking around for an alternative product.

I encourage others to voice their dislike in hope that Agile will reconsider before this moves out of 'beta'.
  • Snazawa
    Snazawa
    Community Member
    Yeah, I have to agree with most of these responses. My biggest gripe though is not even the usability issues, many of which will be less of an issue the more familiar that I become with the interface...but my big gripe is that clearly the new interface and browser extensions were not ready for primetime. Just look at the list of outstanding issues in the sticky post, particularly for FF, and anyone can tell that the extension was not ready. I'm sure there are reason for releasing it the way that you did, but it's very un-Agile-like. We've all come to expect incredible software and updates from Agile, but this has been a huge step back and we've lost some confidence in your products. I've probably lost a couple of hours of productivity in the last few weeks dealing with 1Password and related issues.
  • Let me add my name to the list of those who find the new extension interface unusable. Even if all the functions worked properly, the additional clicks to get anywhere are really annoying. For now I've gone back to Firefox 5.0 so that I can continue to use the older extension, but as the security updates multiply, pretty soon it won't be safe for me to use 1Password at all.
This discussion has been closed.