Upgrading from Version 4 to Version 7 has lost all my categories

smbunn
smbunn
Community Member
edited July 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I have been using Version 4 for many years and have 212 passwords stored away. I use it on my home computer, work computer and mobile phone. Unfortunately I decided to upgrade to version 7 today. I paid for the new license.
When I opened my vault in Version 7 all of my categories are empty. Instead I have 212 unassigned passwords. Each password has a 'tag' that is my category. The Chrome plug in does not seem to support tags, it shows empty categories and 212 unassigned passwords which I have to spend ages scrolling through to find what I want.
Help please

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 7.1.567
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @smbunn,

Thanks for reporting this.

When you say categories, do you mean your own folders that you've created? The reason I ask is that categories are built-in template that items are created from, you can't have an item without a category.

If it is folders, then they've been converted to nested tags in 1Password 7. Look at the tags section on the sidebar of the main 1Password interface. We're upgrading folders to be nested tags in all 1Password 7 apps and it will be the only organization structure supported from now on, that's not including the multiple vaults though. Some folks have switched to using multiple vaults to organize items based on topics, like a vault for work, archival vault and a vault for family that can be shared securely with 1Password Families.

1Password mini does not yet have tags on its sidebar but it's coming in a future update.

• smbunn
    smbunn
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

I don't understand the difference. They are not called folders in 1Password 4 as far as I know.

In the Chrome add-in there does not appear to be a way to select via tag?

• MikeT
    edited July 2018

Hi @smbunn,

In your screenshot, the bottom is your folders, the categories are in the top. The difference is that folders is the organization structure you create manually to organize various category items in. Categories are built-in templates that we support in 1Password, they cannot be changed.

We no longer support folders and switched to nested tags instead. When you open the vault in 1Password 7, they're converted to be nested tags and show up in the tags section instead. Be sure to expand the tags section on the sidebar like so:

• smbunn
    smbunn
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

I have expanded tags in the tool but prefer usually to use the Chrome Extension. It does not appear to support tags. Can I create categories? Can I transfer tags to categories? I used to be able to drag an item from unassigned to a 'folder' but this drag and drop does not work with 1Password 7.i.e. I cannot drag a tag item to a category.

• smbunn
    smbunn
    Community Member

@MikeT your screenshot shows lots of new categories. I read earlier on this forum that creating your own categories is not possible.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/75844/create-new-category

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I have expanded tags in the tool but prefer usually to use the Chrome Extension. It does not appear to support tags.

@smbunn: 1Password mini doesn't have a menu for tags yet, but you can search for them by typing like this: tag:Tag Name.

Can I create categories?

Creating custom categories is a beta feature in 1Password Business accounts.

Can I transfer tags to categories?

Tags and categories are completely different, like items and vaults. You can't convert one to the other.

I used to be able to drag an item from unassigned to a 'folder' but this drag and drop does not work with 1Password 7.i.e. I cannot drag a tag item to a category.

We'll be adding more drag and drop support in future updates.

@MikeT your screenshot shows lots of new categories. I read earlier on this forum that creating your own categories is not possible.

Everything in Mike's screenshot is a default category. You can create new items of any of those types using the + New Item button (or press Ctrl N). I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• smbunn
    smbunn
    Community Member

"Tags and categories are completely different, like items and vaults. You can't convert one to the other."

I don't understand this. I have tags or folders e.g. 'banks' and in that I have all my various bank accounts around the world (I joke I am an international drug dealer). I see in your example there is no 'bank' category so it would just mean every single one of my passwords is in the single 'logins' folder ...well accept for four routers and two credit cards, maybe my 6 rewards programs.

All seems a bit arbitrary. Under the version 4 Chrome extension it would open and I would see my 10 'tags' or folders and be able to quickly click bank accounts, then ASB and be in. Now I have to remember that i cannot find it under any of the available icons, instead I have to search for ASB and when it brings up my two accounts, click on one of those. Much less usable.

Can I have my money back and return to my tried and trusted Version 4?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @smbunn,

I am sorry for this ongoing confusion! Tags and categories (and folders) in 1Password are indeed different.

It sounds like you had the Login items for your bank accounts websites saved in the folder called "Banks". Am I right to understand that this is how you accessed your Bank Login items in 1Password extension?

We have plans to improve 1Password extension for 1Password 7 in the future. Not all of the categories are shown in 1Password extension with 1Password 7, so creating a custom category would not help here. Right now, we have Favourites, Logins, Credit Cards, Identities, Passwords – everything you might need to fill in the browser. You can visit the website of the bank you need in the browser and open extension after that, 1Password should show you the relevant Login item without any need to navigate different folders. You can also open the main 1Password 7 app (tags are available there), find the Login item you need, and click on its URL. 1Password should go & fill your credentials on that website.

As I've mentioned above, 1Password extension for 1Password 7 will become better. I would not recommend you switching back to 1Password 4, as it is an old app that will not get any new features in the future, unlike 1Password 7.

Please let me know if it helps. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• smbunn
    smbunn
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

I have uninstalled version 7 as it is unworkable this way. I am back to version 4 which supports all my categories (OK 'tags' in your parlance).

It is so much more convenient to use. I assume from your message above the alternative is to start again and visit each of the 212 sites one at a time and create a new entry in Version 7 assigning it to one of the very limited categories, i.e. almost everything will go into 'LogIns' which would hold about 200 of the 212 entries. Don't see how that is any better as scrolling through 200 entries to find an account would be a nightmare!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018

I assume from your message above the alternative is to start again and visit each of the 212 sites one at a time and create a new entry in Version 7 assigning it to one of the very limited categories, i.e. almost everything will go into 'LogIns' which would hold about 200 of the 212 entries. Don't see how that is any better as scrolling through 200 entries to find an account would be a nightmare!

@smbunn: Nope. Nobody's suggesting that at all. In fact, all 1Password items belong to a category, so there's no need to recreate items to assign them to categories; they already are.

Categories are Logins (which are important since they can be used to fill login credentials to sign into websites), Secure Notes, Identities, Credit Cards, Documents, Bank Accounts, etc. Mike's screenshot illustrates this well. Anything you save in 1Password will be one of those.

Tags (and, previously, folders) are a way of organizing and grouping items. For example, I have a bunch of stuff tagged "Discover" so I can easily find any items for accounts, etc. that I have setup to use that credit card. That way, if and when I get a replacement, I can easily update my payment information anywhere I need to.

And we definitely don't recommend scrolling through hundreds of items. That's why we put a lot of effort into search in 1Password. Even though we can organize things, the more data we get, the harder it will be to find stuff. If you're using tags/folders to organize today to get away from scrolling, well...you're just sort of kicking the can down the road a bit: the more tags/folders you create, you'll end up having to scroll through those too eventually. So search is worth utilizing.

That said, we will also be redesigning 1Password mini so that more information can be navigated there, like tags and other categories, which are not there yet. But the main purpose of that will also be to help narrow search results, so, for example, when I search for "discover", I will be able to see at a glance items matching that under Logins, Credit Cards, and even items that are tagged with that.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback on this! We'll keep working to bring even more improvements to 1Password. :)

• smbunn
    smbunn
    Community Member

Thanks Brenty but I have gone back to version 4 as it is much easier to use on a day by day basis. The problem with 'search' is you have to know what you are searching for. Some company names and websites are obscure, for example I would need to know that simplicity.kiwi is a retirement advisory web site. Under tags, I already have it listed in that group. I would need to know that Enrich is the name of the Malaysian Airlines rewards program, but dont need to know this when it is tagged and has the nice Malaysian Air logo.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @smbunn,

Thank you for the feedback! If 1Password 4 works better for you, you can continue using it. However, please note that it will not receive any updates in the future. We are planning to improve 1Password mini in 1Password 7 for Windows, so please stay tuned.

If you have any other questions, please let us know, we are always here for you. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@smbunn: I did want to add something though. You're not wrong at all, but I would encourage you to try to use search more over time. I think it's safe to say that we only get more and more data, and eventually it gets more and more infeasible to manually organize everything, so while you'll always need to know what you're searching for, creating items with search in mind (descriptive titles, notes, etc.) can mean the difference between being able to find stuff quickly and spending a lot of time looking. And we'll continue to improve search too to hopefully meet you in the middle when the day comes that you're no longer able to find stuff without it. Cheers! :)

• smbunn
    smbunn
    Community Member

Any chance I can get a refund on version 7? I am not using it and do not plan to.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @smbunn,

Shoot us an email to support+windows@agilebits.com and we will see what we can do for you. Please share a Support ID number that you will receive in automated reply from our BitBot assistant, so we can track down the report quickly. Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• smbunn
    smbunn
    Community Member

your support ID is [#MIS-28385-745]

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@smbunn: Thank you! I have found your email on our side and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

ref: MIS-28385-745

• davidturner
    davidturner
    Community Member

When is the below issue going to be fixed
    I have upgraded fro m 4 to 7 and am not at all happy with not being able to open tags from the chrome extension.

@smbunn: 1Password mini doesn't have a menu for tags yet, but you can search for them by typing

• smbunn
    smbunn
    Community Member

My 1Password 4 failed to work in Chrome yesterday so after removing and reinstalling it 4 times without success I removed 1Password. Big mistake as version 4 no longer available.
    Stick with 4 as long as you can as 6 and 7 are a nightmare to use.
    You can't even go to a website from 1Padsword any more. You have to manually cut and paste the username then password. NIGHTMARE

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

My 1Password 4 failed to work in Chrome yesterday so after removing and reinstalling it 4 times without success I removed 1Password. Big mistake as version 4 no longer available.

@smbunn: Yes it is. 1Password 4 can be downloaded from our website:

https://1password.com/downloads/

It's at the bottom.

Stick with 4 as long as you can as 6 and 7 are a nightmare to use. You can't even go to a website from 1Padsword any more. You have to manually cut and paste the username then password. NIGHTMARE

Yes you can. Let me know if you need help using the browser extension.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

When is the below issue going to be fixed I have upgraded fro m 4 to 7 and am not at all happy with not being able to open tags from the chrome extension.

@davidturner: We'll be adding more to 1Password mini in future updates, to make tags and other things more accessible there...

1Password mini doesn't have a menu for tags yet, but you can search for them by typing

But indeed, in the mean time you can search for them already. :)

• smbunn
    smbunn
    Community Member

I have given up on 1Password. The Chrome extension no longer works as of yesterday. Reinstalled extension, uninstalled, rebooted, re-installed, rebooted, unintsalled 1Password, re-installed nothing works. You click on the extension icon in Chrome and nothing happens. Probably a Chrome update but Agilebits no longer support version 4, so doubt this will get fixed.
    Version 6 and 7 are unworkable. You cant even click on an item and ask it to open in the browser anymore. That was a standard feature in 4. So no tags, limited browser support. Time for a new password manager, which is a shame as I liked 4 on my PC and Android phone. Any suggestions anyone of a password manager that actually works?

• smbunn
    smbunn
    Community Member

@Brenty Show me where this feature is in 6 or 7

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I have given up on 1Password. The Chrome extension no longer works as of yesterday. Reinstalled extension, uninstalled, rebooted, re-installed, rebooted, unintsalled 1Password, re-installed nothing works. You click on the extension icon in Chrome and nothing happens. Probably a Chrome update but Agilebits no longer support version 4, so doubt this will get fixed.

@smbunn: I'm sorry for the difficulty. Indeed, Chrome 72 has a different certificate from Google, so 1Password 4 won't recognize it. You can find more information in the announcement at the top of this forum category:

1Password 4 for Windows no longer fills in Chrome 72

Version 6 and 7 are unworkable. You cant even click on an item and ask it to open in the browser anymore. That was a standard feature in 4.

Yes you can. Select a Login item with the keyboard or mouse, and then press Enter, or double-click to open it in the browser.

So no tags,

Tags:

limited browser support.

Browser support:

(And the Chrome extension works in many alternative Chrome-based browsers, such as Vivaldi and Brave.)

Time for a new password manager, which is a shame as I liked 4 on my PC and Android phone. Any suggestions anyone of a password manager that actually works?

This is the support forum for 1Password. I'd suggest checking out review sites for comparisons, and/or just try them yourself. If there's a different password manager that's a better fit for you, we'd rather you use something you're happy with than nothing at all, if 1Password no longer meets your needs.

Show me where this feature is in 6 or 7

Choosing a specific browser to open is not a feature in 1Password 7; the OS handles that. When you double-click a Login item in 1Password 7, it opens in the default browser you've setup in the OS. Otherwise, if you're using a browser already, opening 1Password mini there and selecting a Login will open it in that browser. If you haven't set a default browser, Windows will give you the option:

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

• smbunn
    smbunn
    Community Member

@Brenty. So I installed 7 to see if what you said is true. Double clicking on a link opens the web page, but the username
    and password fields remain empty. You have to manually cut and paste both laboriously from 1 Password.

I did this on 5 sites, all are the same, they open, but the username and password fields are empty.

• smbunn
    smbunn
    Community Member

It does however work from the mini browser in Chrome

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

Hi all just to leave my comment here.
    I can confirm that the 'double-click-on-an-item-to-open-the-page-with-filled-credentials' works flawlessly on every site I tested in the short time (about 25 items). The login forms were also different kinds.

@smbunn I'm not sure if its just this page which doesn't want to get the creds right or maybe the browser resists it, but you should be able to open the implemented console (Help -> Troubleshooting -> Show console)
    if I open an item this should look like that :+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019

So I installed 7 to see if what you said is true. Double clicking on a link opens the web page, but the username and password fields remain empty. You have to manually cut and paste both laboriously from 1 Password. I did this on 5 sites, all are the same, they open, but the username and password fields are empty.

@smbunn: It sounds like you either don't have the 1Password extension installed in that browser, it's disabled, or something is broken in it.

It does however work from the mini browser in Chrome

Especially since it works for you in Chrome. It would be helpful to know the browser version you're using, the 1Password extension version you have installed there (if any), and a URL where you're having trouble. I'll be happy to test it.

This discussion has been closed.