Why not on Linux? [In Progress]

joaov777
joaov777
Community Member
edited August 2020 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I have been using 1Password for a while now and the experience has been simply marvelous. Its features literally make my day a lot more productive and this is what I was looking for as a systems admin. However, 1Password's awesome features can only be used by me on Windows machines. I have not been able to find any option through 1Password for Linux based systems like Ubuntu, Mint, etc.

I believe it's known to whoever works in the IT area that Linux systems are definitely part our daily routines and it becomes a problem when the whole point of having a password manager only works for an specific type of system.

I wonder whether there is an option for enabling 1Password on linux based machines or even if there is any other way around it for the moment. Clearly, this is negatively impacting my experience with 1Password. Which has been incredible since I subscribed to it.

Lastpass has the possibility for at least a browser extension for Linux systems. It's about time 1Password should've come up with something similar. If there is any for now, I am not aware of.

Thanks in advance.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• TheDave
    TheDave
    Community Member

As far as I can tell, native 1Password is available on approximately 95% of desktop systems, but with Linux calling in under 2% it rarely makes sense to start a separate development branch and hire developers, especially given that the Linux community is not as likely to purchase closed source software (based on my own experience).

You might want to take a look at the 1Password X browser extensions for Firefox and Chrome, combined with a 1Password.com account this gives you the ability to perform most tasks including browser integration without native code. The original blog post has some details about what to expect, and they have a Getting Started page too.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @joaov777,

@TheDave is right here: if you have 1Password Account, please take a closer look at 1Password X. It is our new extension that works entirely in the browser (Firefox or Chrome), so you should be able to use it on your Linux machines.

Let us know if it works for you. :chuffed: Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• joaov777
    joaov777
    Community Member

Hello, @TheDave and @Greg .

Thank you so much for your responses. I didn't realize I had that option (1Password X) available. The browser extension is already what I need. As long as I can access my password information on Linux machines and use the auto fill feature, I'm good. I have just checked 1Password X and it works amazingly.

Obviously, given the reasons above, I don't think coming up with a brand new piece of software to work on Linux based systems would be a smart choice. Having at least the browser extension saves us all a lot of problems. Thanks again.

By far, 1Password is the best password manager.

• MikeT
    edited July 2018

Hi @joaov777,

On behalf of Greg, you're welcome.

I'm glad you're liking 1Password X so far, it has become powerful very quickly in a short amount of time and we're excited to show off more in the near future.

By the way, since you work in IT, you may also want to look at 1Password command line interface (some of our Linux customers are using it to scripts some workflows): https://support.1password.com/command-line/

Obviously, given the reasons above, I don't think coming up with a brand new piece of software to work on Linux based systems would be a smart choice.

We still want to come up with a native solution for Linux, we're trying to find ways to reuse code that we've already written with 1Password command line and other apps we use for 1Password.com service (as 1Password.com runs on mostly Linux instances). Hopefully, we can do it but 1Password X is still great in the mean time.

• joaov777
    joaov777
    Community Member

Hello, @MikeT ! Thanks for your input. :)

I had previously taken a quick look at the command line option and I must say I got curious. I haven't found enough documentation, though. I haven't searched properly yet, of course. So don't go crazy if actually there is enough documentation and I am the one making the mistake (or being lazy) here. :)

I found this webpage on 1password that teaches some of the commands for the CLI version. However, I haven't progressed as much on it since I didn't find it as intuitive. Because I have been using Linux for a while, the command line option would be incredible. If it can be accessed through the bash, it will be wonderful.

I wonder if there is a step by step guide on how to use the CLI version. If not, I will take a more careful look at the CLI for 1Password and come up with doubts that might appear.

Thanks for the help and marvelous customer service.

• Hi @joaov777,

This is our get-started guide: https://support.1password.com/command-line-getting-started/

and yes, the point of it is to access it via Bash or other tools via Python scripts like in this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/91068/cli-secure-note-utilities-written-in-python/p1

We'll update our guides as often as we can. I'd suggest visiting the CLI forum to learn more from others like that Python script: https://discussions.agilebits.com/categories/cli

• joaov777
    joaov777
    Community Member

Hello, @MikeT

Once again, Thanks for your input. :)

After having read a little of the get started guide you provided, I'm sure some doubts will come. But I'll leave for the CLI forum. Just by looking at this, I felt like it could be a good option to integrate the commands with some shell scripting too.

Thanks.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@joaov777: On behalf of Mike you are very welcome! :chuffed: :+1:

Please let us know if you have any other questions about 1Password X or CLI, we will be happy to help.

Cheers,
    Greg

• joaov777
    joaov777
    Community Member

Thank you all for replying to my question. :)

• You're welcome!

• bradsearle
    bradsearle
    Community Member

Would be great to see that Linux desktop app. 1PasswordX is a good option, and thankfully its available, but the workflow is a little clunky IMO. Also I prefer to sync my vaults with Dropbox so the desktop app would be most welcome. A snap or flatpack release could be a good option to reach across multiple distributions without lots of linux distribution shenanigans overhead. Keep up the good work, im really liking the app.

• Hi @bradsearle,

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you liking the app so far.

As for Linux, we'd love to build the app for it but we're still trying to catch up with 1Password 7 on Windows to be on par with the macOS version. When we get there, who knows what can happen next.

• bradsearle
    bradsearle
    Community Member

Thanks for getting back Mike and here's to hoping !

• CurtisB
    CurtisB
    Community Member

@MikeT Hello Mike, is there any update on this since last year? Thank you!

• Hi @CurtisB,

Have there been updates in general that could take us there sooner, yes in some ways but we're not promising anything and we cannot comment nor confirm/deny anything about future plans.

We have been improving 1Password X extension which is getting more powerful and useful, some of the work is focusing on on cross-platform libraries that we're building in Rust (you can see more info on our blog here) as well as continuing to improve on the 1Password command line tool on Linux. Some of the ongoing work we're doing for the upcoming 1Password 7.4 for Windows is also done in Rust and with cross-platform thoughts.

• SyberCorp
    SyberCorp
    Community Member

@MikeT Is there a beta program for the full Linux desktop version, or anything? The 1Password X extension sucks compared to the full app. Not being able to edit entries directly (having to open them on the 1password.com site) is cumbersome when trying to add things like OTP to an account, because there's no option to grab the QR code from the screen, and finding the URL is not always easy. Not to mention that it doesn't allow for syncing the unlock/lock between browsers, so if you unlock it in one browser it's automatically unlocked in the other browsers.

• There isn't such a thing as 1Password for Linux yet. We do offer 1Password X and the 1Password CLI on that platform, and hope to expand further, but I don't have additional information to share at this point. Our ops team is primarily Linux users and so they are very anxious for a native desktop application as well.

Ben

• SyberCorp
    SyberCorp
    Community Member

@Ben Thanks. I know. I have 1Password X installed in my browsers on my Linux box (I haven't tried the CLI but there's no way that would solve my issues that I mentioned, so I doubt I'll ever give that a chance) and I have the native app installed on my MacBook Pro, which is where I do most the editing of entries since it's far easier and more intuitive than it will ever be as just a web extension (hence the desire for a native Linux app).

It's good to hear that there's internal motivation for a native Linux desktop application; hopefully that allows for some traction to be made. All of us are very anxious to at least hear about any news and developments on that front.

• Like with most things, @SyberCorp, nothing is real until it's shipped so no news at all isn't necessarily bad news. If and when we've got news we can share, though, we'll most definitely be delighted to pass it along. :chuffed:

• 3864ch
    3864ch
    Community Member

Still wishing for a native Linux app

• Thanks @3864ch. :)

Ben

• anonymoosen
    anonymoosen
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

This is the only place I could find to provide feedback about this, so I hope this isn't unwelcome:

I cancelled my 1Password Family subscription today and moved to self-hosted BitWarden solely because of 1Password's lack of Linux support. The feature parity between 1Password's browser extension and the native macOS/Windows clients is definitely worse than I originally anticipated when I signed up for the premium plan, and I figured there's no point in paying for extra features I can't even use on my OS.

• MikeT
    edited February 2020

We do understand and we do agree that you shouldn't pay for something you're not getting the full use of. We do want to fix that by building a Linux app but at the moment, we do not any information on anything that's not released. Hopefully, you'll give us a try again when we do have something for Linux in the future.

• falafel
    falafel
    Community Member

Great to see that there is at least the hope of having a native Linux app in the future. I will surely return to 1Password when (and if) it will be released, since 1Password X, while being a step in the right direction, has not feature parity with the desktop app, unfortunately. And while I like Bitwarden and KeepassXC, 1Password is always 1Password ;)

• :+1: :)

Ben

• tomato_1
    tomato_1
    Community Member

I'd appreciate a dedicated Linux App as well. It's not too far from OSX..

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tomato_1,

Thank you for chipping in! It would be really cool to have 1Password on Linux. :) I don't have any news at this moment, but I will make sure to pass your feedback to our team. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• tomato_1
    tomato_1
    Community Member

Thank you. Just empty one person and do it. Or open it up Github.

Best Wishes
    Tom

• As Greg alluded to, @tomato_1, we've no reason to expect a Linux app any time in the immediate future, but it is most definitely one of the most popular requests we get and always something we have in mind. Again, no specific news at this time, but we very much do appreciate a lot of folks would benefit from this and are absolutely taking that into consideration as we plan for the future. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.