Is the Edge extension supposed to fill forms? [Check for updates in Microsoft Store]

crisbennett
crisbennett
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

That's not supposed to be a snarky question! I've tried it a few times since having suffered the misfortune of having to use Windows for the last 4 weeks. The extension installs, it's functional in the sense that clicking on the icon pops up the mini-1P, & 1Password (settings -> browsers) claims that it's paired. I can copy usernames & passwords to the clipboard. But it never fills any form fields in Edge (not once).

Is this just a limitation of the current Edge extension? Or are you guys just as defeated by the (truly egregious) Windows 10 as I am?

1Password Version: 7.2.573
Extension Version: 7.1.565
OS Version: Windows Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134
Sync Type: 1P account

Comments

• MikeT
    edited July 2018

Hi @crisbennett,

Thanks for writing in.

No, this is on us, you're using 1Password 7.2 beta which has this listed as a known issue.

This is a known regression due to the new 1Password Brain technologies we're building into 1Password 7.2, which is a beta build. The 1Password extension for Edge cannot understand the new data formats coming in from 1Password Brain, so we must update the Edge extension or find another way to downgrade the format for Edge. We're trying to find the solution for the latter instead since updating Edge extension is...a more complex matter.

• crisbennett
    crisbennett
    Community Member

@MikeT - thanks, appreciate the information. I'm mainly a Chrome user in any case, but thought I'd try Edge sometimes when on battery. Chrome's secondary function (after being a web browser) is clearly to drum up business for power companies, and & believe Edge is a little better in that respect.

Good luck solving the extension issue.

• Yep, that's precisely why I like Edge and Safari on my computers, they're snappy, lightweight, and efficient.

• crisbennett
    crisbennett
    Community Member

Unfortunately until I can auto-fill from 1P, a browser is dead to me. Too many logins ;(

• I agree, many of us can't imagine using any browser without 1Password and it does mean it makes using a new browser a bit annoying.

We really really want to support Edge as it is the default browser and the future for Microsoft, so we will continue to find solutions around this. We have a long term solution in addition to 1Password X that may make the extension less fragile to future Windows + Edge changes.

• MikeT
    edited August 2018

Hi guys,

The next update to 1Password extension for Edge should be available within 24 hours at the Microsoft Store, this should enable the filling support with 1Password 7.2 betas.

• crisbennett
    crisbennett
    Community Member

Fantastic - look forward to trying it out. Thanks for the update.

• MikeT
    edited August 2018

@crisbennett We've just heard from a customer they see the 7.5.575 update in the Microsoft Store. Try checking for an update to see if you want to test it now.

This discussion has been closed.