Touch ID not working for 1Password after MacOS reinstall

Comments

• yairerez
    yairerez
    Community Member

Hi @brenty - any updates to my ticket? Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@yairerez: No update at this time, and as I mentioned we'll follow up via email since we'll likely need to exchange more information specific to your case.

• vilous
    vilous
    Community Member

Hi @brenty ,

As stated by previous members, I am also facing the same issue with 1password 7.0.7 and am unable to unlock using TouchID.

Its good to hear that you guys are investigating the root cause of this issue.

May i request you to provide an update to this forum ticket once you have found a resolution as it will greatly help others who stumble upon the forum ticket.

In the meantime some details for the versions that I am reporting for:

• 1password: 7.0.7
    • macOS: 10.13.5
    • I have tried to already delete 1password and re-install it.
    • I have also tried to delete the fingerprints on the mac and add them again after a clean reboot.

Unfortunately i am unable to re-install the OS but this machine was only freshly setup 1 week ago.

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni

@vilous welcome to the forum! We will be sure to update this thread when we have a resolution :smile:.

In the meantime, it would be great if you could send us a diagnostics report to confirm that you are facing the same problem with 1Password as the others in this thread (you probably are as you have already tried a number of fixes). Directions on how to do that are below:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/91882/touch-id-not-working-for-1password-after-macos-reinstall#latest
    • Your forum username: vilous

That way we can “connect the dots” when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :smile:

Once we see the diagnostics, we’ll be able to better assist you. Thank you very much!

• vilous
    vilous
    Community Member

@JadC I have created the Diagnostics report and sent it through. As requested the support ID for your reference is [#EZH-65973-887].

Cheers.

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @vilous. If we require specific information regarding your case, we will be sure to get in touch. Otherwise, stay tuned :smile:.

ref: EZH-65973-887

• gerrymiller
    gerrymiller
    Community Member

Hi @brenty any updates? It's been 5 weeks since I reported this issue.

• Hi @gerrymiller

I wish I had a better answer to offer but at the moment we’re still researching this issue. A number of 1Password Team Members use Touch ID on Macs and so we’re very familiar with the level of convenience it provides. We’re hopeful we’ll have a better idea soon, but unfortunately I don’t have any kind of timeframe I could share.

Ben

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2018

Hi all,

I’ve been chatting with development about this issue and while we don’t yet have a solution (as mentioned above) we may have found a workaround for macOS 10.12 & 10.13. The issue on macOS 10.14 is a different animal. I would recommend an abundance of caution if you decide to attempt this: make a full backup using Time Machine or your preferred method.

We had a customer indicate that deleting the ~/Library/Keychains directory allowed them to set up and use Touch ID in 1Password with macOS 10.12/10.13. The instructions I’m going to provide move this directory to ~/Library/Keychains.old instead of deleting it, just in case this causes problems and you need to revert. If there is a problem the directory can be moved back to its original location.

If you’d like to try this, please open the Terminal app from the /Applications/Utilities folder. You can find it by searching Spotlight. Please copy and paste the following command, and then press the return key:

sudo mv ~/Library/Keychains ~/Library/Keychains.old

You will be prompted to enter your macOS password. Nothing will appear as you type it. Press return once you have entered it, and then quit Terminal (Cmd+Q). Once complete restart your Mac and set up Touch ID in 1Password.

I hope that helps! Please let us know if you try this and if it is successful in restoring access to Touch ID in 1Password.

Thank you.

Ben

• intothefire
    intothefire
    Community Member

@ben Touch ID seems to be working in Mojave Beta 5, just downloaded and tested. Woo hoo!

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2018

Thanks for the update @intothefire.

If you're using macOS 10.12, 10.13, or 10.14 beta 5 and are having issues I'd recommend trying the steps outlined here. If you are running the 10.14 beta and have not yet upgraded to beta 5 please do so first and see if that resolves the issue. If you continue to have difficulties after updating and attempting the above steps please send us a diagnostic report.

I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/91882
    • Your forum username

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• vilous
    vilous
    Community Member

@ben the steps that you have specified seem to have worked for me and i can now use TouchID. Running macOS 10.13.

Cheers.

• kestryl
    kestryl
    Community Member

@Ben Some interesting feedback for you.... I followed the steps above, did the
    sudo mv ~/Library/Keychains ~/Library/Keychains.old
    rebooted... still no Touch ID.

Then, I ran
    sudo mv ~/Library/Keychains.old ~/Library/Keychains
    rebooted... and now Touch ID is working.

MacOS 10.13.6 (17G65)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@kestryl - now that IS unusual. I'm not entirely sure what to make of it, without some testing, but I'm...actually, I don't think I'll speculate here in public, to avoid sending people off down a wrong track. But I'll pass along this information, for sure. Thanks for sharing it! :)

• befresh
    befresh
    Community Member

@kestryl @Ben The steps worked for me. First moved the Keychain, rebooted, then set up Touch ID, didn't work, then moved the old Keychain back. Rebooted, and then disabled, and enabled the Touch ID Option in 1Password, and now it works!
    macOS 10.13.6 (17G2208)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad to hear you're back in business. :)

• gerrymiller
    gerrymiller
    Community Member

Thank you, @brenty and @Ben that worked for me as well. I had to re-register my fingerprints, and many (but strangely, not all) of my saved keychain passwords are gone, but at least TouchID is working with 1Password again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, some may have been stored in other keychains. Anyway, glad to hear that you're back in business. :)

• donshefer
    donshefer
    Community Member

I also appear to be having this same issue with a brand new Mac Book Pro. I have followed all of the suggestions with no success.

I have sent in diagnostics as requested.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2018

Thanks @donshefer. We received your report and we’ll be in touch as soon as we have more information.

Ben

ref: KST-63592-636

• AlejoV
    AlejoV
    Community Member

Hi. I recently installed Mojave 10.14 and 1password (7.2.1) and Touch ID is not working. The fingerprint icon appears on the touchbar when 1password is opened, but appears grayed. I already turned off touch id in 1password, as well as mac and then on again to no avail... would really appreciate some help with this...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AlejoV: What happens when you tap the icon? Did you try restarting the device? We don't have control over the hardware or OS, but generally that helps.

• frnkr
    frnkr
    Community Member

I have the same problem: I installed Mojave on Sat, and then 1P updated straight to the 7.2.2, so I don't know what caused the TouchID failure. Not sure if the reason is Mojave, 7.2.2 beta or combination of two, but restarting didn't help :(

It's major annoyance though, so hopefully you come up with a fix soon!

(MBP 13, 16/256, Touchbar, 7th-gen Intel, 10.14)

• lemic
    lemic
    Community Member

Hi, same here. I created the a report and received the following support ID: #YZV-59953-659

Thanks for solving!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@frnkr: You mentioned updating, but it isn't clear. It doesn't sound at all like you reinstalled the OS, the topic of this discussion. What versions of macOS and 1Password were you using previously, when things were working, and what exactly did you do? I'm not sure this is something we can "fix" for you ourselves, since we have control over neither the OS nor the hardware involved here, but some more details might help lead to a solution for you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2018

@lemic: Can you elaborate? Your email doesn't offer any details of what you did that led to this situation. Without some basic details the diagnostics are a proverbial haystack. It may also help others having Touch ID problems after reinstalling macOS. Thanks in advance for any information you can provide! :)

ref: YZV-59953-659

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

In case there's any confusion, this isn't something we can fix for someone who's gotten their Keychain into a state where it is either missing the data for Secure Enclave which 1Password 7 uses for Touch ID security, most often caused by copying it from another Mac. 1Password doesn't have the power to modify OS files. It will be necessary to either reinstall the OS or have it recreate the Keychain so it has the correct data for 1Password to use. This Terminal command should work, but should only be done after making a full disk backup, just in case:

Open Terminal and enter this command: sudo mv ~/Library/Keychains ~/Desktop

The OS should then recreate it after rebooting. If all is well, the keychain that was copied to the Desktop can be deleted. If you're not comfortable doing that or continue to have Touch ID issues, be sure to contact Apple for assistance.

• joegeorge
    joegeorge
    Community Member

I got myself into this situation by resetting my keychain to fix an issue with iCloud. Anyone know which keychain items in particular cause this issue?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@joegeorge - no, and this isn't something that's really within our scope to troubleshoot for you here. The login keychain affects a great deal more than 1Password, which is why brenty mentions making a full disk backup before attempting it. We're glad if it works, but if/when it doesn't, it's time to consider more global measures such as reinstalling macOS.

• frnkr
    frnkr
    Community Member

@brenty my bad, I probably misread the title. So I only updated 10.13 => 10.14 and touchID is not working anymore. I guess I'll open a ticket. Sorry for the confusion!

This discussion has been closed.