Safari CMD-\ opens new tab and login fails

Options
elDub
elDub
Community Member

When using the CMD-\ keystroke to autofill a login form, if you ever so slightly hold the CMD key down after it attempts to submit the form it will end up opening a new tab that attempts to handle the login but usually fails.

I believe this is because when 1Password is submitting the form, the fact that the CMD key is still depressed is getting transmitted with the interaction to the form as if I was CMD-clicking a button, which for Safari opens the target in a new tab.

I consider this a bug as this did not occur with 1Password 6.

1Password Version: 7.0.2
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Jacob
    Options

Hi @elDub! I just tried this on a few websites, and holding after pressing \ didn't cause autosubmit to fail. Are you opening 1Password mini first, then pressing the shortcut to fill it? The only time Safari would try to open a new tab is when you ⌘-click a link in the current one.

• elDub
    elDub
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @Jacob. I can repeatedly make this happen within Safari, even with the Agilebits support forum login page.

1. Ensure that 1Password is unlocked.
    2. Visit https://discussions.agilebits.com and ensure that you are logged out.
    3. Visit https://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin.
    4. Press and hold CMD-\ to perform the login auto-fill. (Be sure to keep the CMD key depressed even after 1Password fills the form.)

A new tab is create every time and it does not successfully log me in. This never happened to me with 1Password 6.

Perhaps you have the default setting within Safari turned off?

• dprior
    dprior
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

@Jacob, I can confirm that I'm having the same issue as @elDub with 1Password 7.0.4 and Safari Tech Preview Release 57. I have Safari configured top open links in a new tab when command clicking and 1Password configured to "automatically sign in after filling usernames and passwords".

This is a really maddening bug because so far, each time I see it, it seems to leave the login form inoperable as well.

• elDub
    elDub
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

@Jacob, this was even worse during the beta when AgileBits tried using the Safari App Extension (I think that is what it is called) method of delivering the browser plugin for Safari. I think the forms were submitted even faster and therefore more apt to occur while the CMD key was still pressed. I reported this during the beta period but the issue was dismissed.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/90041/beta-16-hotkey-form-submit

• elDub
    elDub
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

@dprior, I’m glad someone else is reporting this now. Perhaps it will get some attention.

The reason the forms are left in a unusable state is because a lot of web frameworks or developers disable form submit buttons when after a form is submitted to prevent the user from resubmitting it.

• Jacob
    Options

@elDub I'm afraid I'm still not able to reproduce this. I have ⌘-click enabled in Safari for opening links in new tabs. Does the issue happen in any other browsers or just Safari?

• elDub
    elDub
    Community Member
    Options

@Jacob, yes, it still occurs. I tried in Firefox and Chrome and it does not happen in either of those. Just consistently within Safari if the CMD key is still pressed while 1Password actually submits the form. This is with the Safari extension version 4.7.1. I'll be glad to arrange a screen share or other method to assist with the determination of the issue.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for confirming. I'm not able to reproduce this here either yet, but we'll continue to investigate. There are some quirks with Safari 11.1 in general, and we may find something while trying to work around those as well.

• pasquale
    pasquale
    Community Member
    Options

I can confirm that I am having this problem with Safari on High Sierra, using the most recent version of 1Password 7. I have had this problem since 1Password 7 came out,, with the new app interface and the new extension. Using command-\ to login to quite a few websites results in the following behavior:
    1. Username and password are populated into the login form
    2. A new tab opens with the same login form, showing no login information in its fields.
    3. I am able to close the new tab, and submit the login form in the original tab just fine, but it would be great if that new tab would not open.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pasquale: Are you holding down the Command key? That's what is being reported here, and we haven't been able to reproduce that. Either way, what are the exact steps you're taking, and what OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions are you using?

• pasquale
    pasquale
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not holding down the command key any longer than I did for versions of 1Password previous to version 7, when Safari did not exhibit this behavior.

Specific versions of the software I'm using:

• pasquale
    pasquale
    Community Member
    Options

As far as the "exact steps", I surf to a site either by selecting a bookmark, or typing in the URL directly into Safari's address bar, then I hit command-\. Regardless of whether I have 1 login available for that particular site in my vault, or multiple logins where 1Password prompts me to select a login, it will fill in the login info in the form, then open a new tab with the same login form.

I will try to update this ticket with a specific site that has given me problems that is not related to my job.

Also, I should note that it seems to be hit or miss, and not consistent, even for the same site.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pasquale - hmmm, that doesn't sound right -- and it's not something we can reproduce either. So, to get a better look at what might be going on with your specific setup, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#EFT-25741-581]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @pasquale only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: EFT-25741-581

• elDub
    elDub
    Community Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

@Lars - I am still having this issue, and I'm glad to see that others do as well. Can I get a diagnostic ID as well? I can easily reproduce this situation using the Agilebits support forum login.

• elDub
    elDub
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars - I'd be glad to screen share with support to show what is happening on my computer as well as do whatever asked by the support staff on that call to help in identifying this issue.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@elDub - thanks, but we don't have "live chat" support for 1Password. More than that, however, due to changes in the upcoming "Mojave" (macOS 10.14), we'll be bringing the Safari App Extension back in, so at this point, troubleshooting something that's likely to be a function of the move away from allowing developer-signed extensions is likely to be a waste of everyone's time. I realize that's not helpful for your current situation, but it's the best answer I've got for the immediate moment. I'd recommend for the interim that you use a different browser than Safari, if that's not too much trouble, and also turn on the beta builds of 1Password for Mac in Preferences > Updates, so you'll get the latest version with the Safari App Extension as quickly as it's released. Thanks for your patience and apologies for the inconvenience.

• elDub
    elDub
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars - This is really disappointing. This issue has existed in the beta program, which I was a part of and where I did report the problem. Also, if you can't verify where it exists in the current software, how do you know that you have addressed it within the upcoming Safari App Extension? As you can see here, I am not the only one experiencing it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@elDub - one of a number of changes that Apple is making in the upcoming Mojave release of macOS is that they'll be disallowing autosubmit entirely. To be clear: auto-fill will still exist in version 7.2 and Mojave, but auto-submit will not. That's one of the reasons I say this will not be an issue in the very near future. Safari App Extension also functions entirely differently from the existing mechanism, so although I can't guarantee there won't be problems, I do think it's best to wait until we can observe the functionality there before assuming in advance that it's broken. I also think that spending time chasing down an issue that's happening to a small percentage of users in an area that's literally not going to exist shortly isn't the best use of anyone's time.

• elDub
    elDub
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars - Regarding the deprecation of auto-submit... I see your point, and that helps explain your response a bit better.

I know you cannot speak for Apple, but for them to take away the ability to submit the form or to emulate a mouse click on an HTML element seems like it will affect more than just 1Password. Are they combating existing abuse in this area? What about with other browsers like Chrome or Firefox?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@elDub - Apple can't as easily control what goes on with other developers' software (short of taking a meat-cleaver approach and banning it outright, which I suspect they wouldn't do in the case of major browsers), so what happens with Chrome or Firefox may still be to be determined. Possibly the behavior -- or at least the capacity -- may be unchanged there. But Apple's reasoning is compelling: they (correctly) note that the mechanism we use in 1Password for Mac to auto-submit a Login form (simulating the press of the enter key) is the exact same mechanism malware uses to install itself, in many cases. They're tightening security for all users by plugging that hole, and autosubmit is unfortunately a casualty of that tightening. My guess (and I don't make these decisions for 1Password, either) is that we would not confuse/complicate things by allowing autosubmit on Chrome and/or Firefox while simultaneously DISallowing it on Safari. That's not consistent messaging or approach, and it could cause user confusion. I suspect that even if Chrome/FF managed to avoid/work around the issue, we would not pursue such a two-pronged approach.

• Jeunj
    Jeunj
    Community Member
    Options

FWIW I have the same issue described here and the way I've managed to get around it is by adding a 1Password workflow to Alfred. This opens a new page in Safari, fills and auto-submits properly.

Regarding the deprecation of auto-submit, that is a huge disappointment as it's one of the main reasons why I use 1Password and how it just makes login workflows so awesomely smooth. I need to process this for a bit.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I hear you. But at the same time, I don't disagree that it's important to disallow that behaviour since it can easily be misused/abused. And after seeing the many problems that autosubmit can cause for people at various websites (CAPTCHAs, for example) and having to tell people to turn it off in those cases anyway, I can't say I'll miss it much. Even if it can be convenient, it's really not hard to press Return to submit a form -- especially since 1Password can almost always leave the password field focused for that purpose anyway.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's actually something I wanted to echo - it IS cool to have 1Password Go & Fill with a single click, and to be signed into your chosen site seconds later. But I suspect people aren't going to miss auto-submit nearly as much as they'd miss something like auto-fill, which would require several more clicks to effect manually. Most of us are conditioned to press return (or enter) after everything we do, to submit it to the application we're working in. Heck, that goes all the way back to the days of the typewriter, pre-PC, with the carriage return.

This discussion has been closed.