Master password works for 1password online account but not for desktop app or browser extensions?

Options

I recently recovered an account for a team member and I helping the troubleshoot. They have their new secret key and master password. They are able to sign into their online 1password account. However, they are not able to sign into the desktop app or their browser extensions. We have already uninstalled, re-downloaded, and reinstalled the desktop app and browser extensions. We have also rebooted the computers after the reinstalls. Still unable to sign into desktop app and browser extensions.

1Password Version: 7.0.7
Extension Version: 4.7.2.90
OS Version: macOS High Sierra 10.13.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:master password works to sign into online account but not the desktop app or browser extensions

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @evancherry! That's actually sounding exactly like what's supposed to happen. When you recover a team member's account, they will need to sign in again from each and every device they were previously using, because their credentials have changed. What they originally signed in using is now not the correct Secret Key at least -- and possibly a different Master Password as well -- so things don't work. That's why one of the explicit steps in our account recovery instructions is to sign in again on all devices using the account - which essentially means re-adding the account to the app. Let us know if you have any trouble with that! :)

• evancherry
    evancherry
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars,

We are unable to sign into the app. We are following the recovery instructions, and we are trying to sign in again on all devices. My understanding is that we should be using the new secret and master password but they are not working. Maybe I am mistaken and we need to sign in once with the old credentials?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@evancherry - OK, thanks for the clarification. If the person whose account was recovered was signed into 1Password apps with ONLY the account they recovered (i.e. - no other, personal accounts or standalone vaults), then it may depend on whether they've restarted either their Mac or fully quit/restarted 1Password before trying to unlock. Certain states (such as password/credential changes) may not be picked up if you haven't done so -- but they might, also. What I'd try is the old Master Password first. If that doesn't work, then -- assuming they are using only the recovered account within 1Password for Mac -- you can (with 1Password open but locked) click Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password Data, which will make it as if it was a brand-new installation. Then just sign in with the new credentials to the existing account.

This discussion has been closed.