1Password not filling in passwords on certain sites

This discussion was created from comments split from: Usernames and Passwords Not Filing In....

Comments

• Cueball
    Cueball
    Community Member

I'm having the same problem on Mac and IOS. Some passwords do not populate on some websites, and even copying then pasting the password doesn't work. Safari and Chrome.

• MikeT
    edited August 2018

Hi @Cueball,

Thanks for reporting this. I've split your post from the Windows beta thread into this thread within the macOS forum, so our Apple team can help you with your issue.

Can you confirm what versions of the main 1Password app and 1Password browser extension you're using in Safari and Chrome?

• Cueball
    Cueball
    Community Member

I know it has been a long time since you requested this info. Your request got buried at my end. The problem still persists though.

1Password 6
    Version 6.8.9 (689001)
    AgileBits Store

1password Safari extension 4.7.3

1password Chrome extension 4.7.3.90

High Sierra 10.13.6

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @gedmond, and hi @Doug in Alaska and @Cueball! I'm sorry for the trouble you are experiencing with filling behavior just now. To be clear, @cueball -- you're using Safari 12 as well?

If any (or all) of you aren't opposed to the idea, would you mind giving us the URLs of the websites you're having trouble with? Thanks.

• scottwbailey
    scottwbailey
    Community Member

Update problem? My passwords are suddenly not filling in. Program still opens, when I click fill it says signup for an account? I purchased and upgrade purchased many times?
    Both 1Password7.app and 1Password.app are present in my system applications menu, as well as Safari.

Safari v12.0
    1Password 7.2.1 (Mac app store)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @scottwbailey! Can I ask: when did you upgrade to version 7 of 1Password for Mac, and when was your most-recent purchase of 1Password?

• scottwbailey
    scottwbailey
    Community Member

Lars, thanks for the quick reply. As I search my app store purchase, I see a June 6 purchase, with a $0.00 amount. I am thinking I downloaded and then decided not to purchase? Did Safari update perhaps switch to the new v7 app on me? I was wondering why I had two.

Question: is the old app compatible with the new Safari, and if I decide not to go membership route, can I offload the v7 and still use old version without loss of data?

• jb46
    jb46
    Community Member

Similar issue I think. I have for the past month or two been unable to consistently fill passwords from the Safari extension. In most cases it just refuses to open. If I quit and restart Safari it often corrects and will populate. Also using v6.8.9 (and happy with it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@scottwbailey - there's a couple of things resulting in the behavior you're seeing:

1. 1Password 7 for Mac is a new purchase for everyone; if you don't have either a 1password.com membership or a standalone license, your data will be read-only and you cannot use the browser extension to fill or save items.
    2. With 1Password 7 for Mac, we made the decision to have the Mac App Store version be subscription-only; there is no way to purchase a "license" for the Mac App Store version of 1Password 7 for Mac.

This means that from the Mac App Store, there is no cost to download 1Password 7 for Mac (which is why you see a $0.00 charge)...but it can't be used unless you have a 1password.com membership (or sign up for one). If you want to use version 7 in standalone mode, you would need to delete the copy you have now, and download it again directly from our downloads page (data will be preserved, so no worries on that score).

Regarding Safari compatibility, no -- if you want to use Safari 12, which is the standard in Mojave, you will need 1Password 7 for Mac. Version 6.8.9 will continue to work with Firefox and Chrome, and it will continue to work with all previous versions of Safari, but in Safari 12/Mojave, Apple have instituted the new Safari App Extensions, and older .safariextz-style extensions will not work.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @jb46! Without a little more information, it's difficult to say what the issue you're seeing might be. Can you tell us what specific version of 1Password 7 for Mac you're using, what specific version of macOS, what specific version of Safari and of the 1Password extension in Safari, along with when the behavior you're seeing began, and what steps you've taken to address it so far? Thanks.

• jb46
    jb46
    Community Member

Hi Lars. I'm running v6.8.9 on Mac OS 10.13.6, Safari 12.0 (13606.2.11), 1Password extension 4.7.3

The extension periodically (probably close to 1/3 to 1/2 the time) does not open. It resets and works if I quit and reopen Safari

Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jb46

Safari 12.0 (13606.2.11)

That will be the reason; with Safari 12, Apple changed from the old .safariextz-style extensions to the new Safari App Extension format. 4.7.3.90 will not work at all there. You will need version 7.2 of 1Password for Mac in order to get the Safari App Extension of 1Password that's compatible with Safari 12. If you don't want to upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac, then your options would be:

1. Delete Safari 12 and revert to Safari 11, which will work fine with 1Password 6.8.9 and extension version 4.7.3.90
    2. Use either Chrome or Firefox instead of Safari. Both those browsers continue to work with the existing extension; only Safari was changed to the newer format.

Hope that helps! :)

• scottwbailey
    scottwbailey
    Community Member

Lars, I appreciate all your help and attention. I've signed up for my free 1 month then on to membership moving forward. Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@scottwbailey - you're quite welcome! Glad I was able to help. :)

• scottwbailey
    scottwbailey
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

Hi Lars, one more thing. Now I have duplicates of all my logins?
    1. How did that happen?
    2. Is there a quick way to remove? (approximately 260+)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@scottwbailey - not being able to see your setup, I can't say with 100% certainty, but I'd bet that what happened is you now have both your older Primary (standalone) vault and your shiny new 1password.com Personal vault. 1Password helped you copy your data into the new Personal vault...but because you still have the Primary vault there, your data appears duplicated.

There are a few ways to deal with this. If you're certain you want to continue with the 1password.com membership, then by far the simplest and best way to do it is to visit Preferences > Advanced and UN-check the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts." If you're NOT sure you want to stick with the 1Password account yet, you could keep both temporarily, but if you do this, you will need to keep close, manual track of any items added or changed in one vault, and either copy/overwrite them in the other, or be prepared to do so when you choose whether to keep your 1password.com account, so the two vaults continue to match identically. I would much prefer you do the first option, just from a data integrity point of view, but the choice is yours.

If that's NOT the issue, then we'll need to dig a little deeper.

• scottwbailey
    scottwbailey
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

Sounds like it could be the issue. Can I export out a copy of the old vault?

Looking now, and yes there are two vaults. One of them is in my iCloud, the other is under my name, I'm assuming this is the new one. If I disassociate my former iCloud vault, will it delete, erase it, or will it remain on my iCloud as a backup. Also will my phone and iPad still be in sync with my desktop and laptop?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@scottwbailey - excellent questions. If you're going with the 1password.com membership, then you would need to switch over all your devices on which you use 1Password from the older standalone (iCloud-synced) vault to the new account. It's relatively simple. If you follow the steps I outlined above (unchecking that box in Preferences > Advanced), then you should be back to a single copy of everything (unless you have duplicates within your vault prior to this, which you should weed out/merge manually). The data will remain in iCloud (though not iCloud Drive, it's CloudKit). I wouldn't use it as a backup, since it will essentially be frozen in time and updates would go instead to the data in your 1password.com account...but yes, it will still be there.

On your other devices, just sign into your account and then remove the older vault, either using the above method (for Macs), or by visiting Settings > Vaults > Primary > Delete Vault for 1Password for iOS.

This discussion has been closed.