opvault on Windows, Agilekeychain on iOS, ?? on MacOS.

itisilefunk
itisilefunk
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi,

I moved to 1Password Windows Beta when it came out in early March. I also updated 1Password on my Mac at the same time. I use iPassword on iOS also. These all sync via Dropbox.

I have just noticed there are 5 more items on iOS than there are on Windows. A little investigation shows Windows using opvault and iOS using AgileKeychain.

I'm not with the Mac so can't see what version it has or what it is syncing with.

I have 2 questions.

1) How to I get back to the situation where all 3 platforms where using the same data and I have all of the data present in there? (I don't want to lose something I created in the last 2 months).

2) How did this happen? I assumed that as soon as I installed Windows Beta and it started using opvault everything would start using opvault, possibly via some message written to the agilekeychain for it not to be used any longer?

Thanks
D

1Password Version: 7.0.543 on Windows
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:opvault on Windows, Agilekeychain on iOS, ?? on MacOS

Comments

• Hi @itisilefunk,

Thanks for writing in. The first time you open your AgileKeychain using 1Password 7 for Windows, it actually says that it will convert it to OPVault and you must update other 1Password apps to point to this vault, like so:

We'll add a link soon to this guide.

We do not touch your AgileKeychain at all and there is no automatic process to covert this in other apps, we're not going to add this because it can go wrong especially with various third party sync services that people are using. It is best to manually disable sync in other apps and re-enable properly one at a time. Imagine if you restore from a backup on one machine, it could get messy.

1) How to I get back to the situation where all 3 platforms where using the same data and I have all of the data present in there? (I don't want to lose something I created in the last 2 months).

There isn't any easy way to do this. The best way is to first copy your most recent changes in 1Password 7 for Windows to another vault, reopen the AgileKeychain from your macOS/iOS apps to convert it again and then disable sync in macOS/iOS versions to point to OPVault.

Here's how:

1. First, in 1Password 7 on your Windows PC: go to the 1Password menu > New vault on this PC, call it Moving Van or whatever you wish to call this, this vault will be used as an intermediary to move items between two vaults. There's no need to save this in Dropbox but in your Documents > 1Password directory instead.
    2. Switch back to your original vault by clicking on the vault selector on top left.
    3. Go to All Items on the sidebar and in the item list, below the search field, click to sort this list by Date modified.
    4. Select all changes you've made in the past two months that you don't see on your macOS/iOS apps (sort them by date (macOS only) as well like you did here) and right-click on them to move or copy them to your Moving Van vault.
    5. Now, click on the vault selector to select the second vault to make sure the items are there. Expand the vault selector menu and this time, click on *** next to the first vault to reveal it in Explorer first and then repeat to remove this vault from 1Password 7.
    6. In Explorer, move the OPVault from Dropbox to your desktop, just in case.
    7. Now, switch back to 1Password 7 and reopen that .AgileKeychain from Dropbox via 1Password menu > Open vault on this PC. It'll convert it to OPVault again right next to your AgileKeychain vault and then add it to 1Password 7.
    8. In 1Password 7, move the items from the Moving Van vault to this new OPVault and remove the Moving Van vault from 1Password 7.
    9. Now, wait for Dropbox to finish sync'ing and then in your macOS and iOS versions of 1Password, go to the sync settings to disable the sync with Dropbox and re-enable it to select the new OPVault. This guide here will help.
  • delpetra
    delpetra
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

I think I have a similar problem as above - 1Password Windows was on .opvault and iOS was on .agilekeychain, and both had logins that I'd created that hadn't yet synced to the other.

On iOS, I disabled and re-enabled syncing, pointing it to the new .opvault. The app wasn't able to recognise any of my logins as matching (but I was certain that most were identical and I wouldn't end up with duplicates) but I pressed merge anyway. However, now the iOS app has twice as many logins as 1Password Windows, despite using the same .opvault file.

The iOS app now has the logins I created on Windows, but Windows still does not have the logins I created on iOS.

Also, I have somehow ended up with 'Dropbox\1Password\1Password.opvault\1Password.opvault\1Password.opvault' which casts doubt in my mind that Windows and iOS are looking at the same file...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@delpetra: Yeah it sounds like you've created an OPVault within an OPVault. If you have all of the data you want in 1Password for iOS, the best way forward would be to disable sync there, take any 1Password vaults in Dropbox out of Dropbox (maybe drag them to your Desktop), reset the app on all devices except iOS, and then setup sync in 1Password for iOS again. That will create a new OPVault in Dropbox, which you can then setup your other devices to sync with. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• nr23
    nr23
    Community Member

On my iPhone I disconnected the Dropbox-Account in 1Password. Then I moved 1Password.agilekeychain to the Desktop, so only 1Password.opvault was left in the Dropbox directory. Then I connected 1Password on my iPhone again with the Dropbox-Account. It then selected 1Password.opvault as the source.

• MikeT
    edited July 2018

Interesting, thanks for letting us know. It shouldn't be required to disconnect the account, though. We'll take a look at it again.

• delpetra
    delpetra
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

@brenty thanks for your reply!

unfortunately, the iOS app has duplicates of most of my items now... so if I used it as the source for re-syncing with Windows, I would end up with duplicates in Windows too :( I'd like to use the Windows vault (which doesn't have duplicates) as the source for iOS, whilst keeping the new logins created on iOS (but none of the duplicates). is this possible?

• @delpetra,

if you're replacing all of the data in the iOS app you can do that by going to 1Password -> Settings -> Advanced -> Erase All 1Password Data. When you relaunch 1Password you'll choose Dropbox from the list of choices under "Used 1Password Before?"

• delpetra
    delpetra
    Community Member

@rudy but there are some items in 1Password iOS that aren't in 1Password Windows :( while syncing the two would solve this, I'd retain all the duplicates from the iOS vault.

• Hi @delpetra,

The other option is to make some changes to get the Windows app to open the iOS vault as a separate vault and copy over the new changes to the original vault before resetting the iOS app to use the updated vault.

Before we do anything, please email us your 1Password diagnostics reports from both the iOS and Windows PC. Please use this guide to generate the reports on both and email them to us at support+windows@1Password.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• delpetra
    delpetra
    Community Member

@MikeT sent!

• Thanks, it looks like Kate has replied and we'll get you up and running as soon as possible.

ref: KYJ-76592-247

This discussion has been closed.