Current version is not updating/working

Hi there - my boss recently purchased a MacBook Air and is trying to install 1password to his new computer.

He has 1 password Version 3.8.22 (build 32010)

It will not let us update it (it says "Check for Update failed with error: Could not understand response from server. Please try again later"

Also -- he cannot download and use the extension for 1 password to work in safari on the new computer. the extension ends up in safari -- but when i hit it to log in it says: "Safari can't open the specified address because macOS doesn't recognize internet addresses starting with one password4-extension"

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018

@bdsgrandstreet: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! We've made a lot of changes in the last half decade, so that old version cannot talk to our new update server. 1Password 3 was developed in 2009 and supports OS X Snow Leopard and Lion. You can read more details in the announcement at the top of this forum category:

1Password 3 legacy support information

It is not possible for 1Password 3 to work with browsers versions that were created many years after it was discontinued, but 1Password 7 fully supports macOS Sierra and current browser releases. A 1Password.com membership includes that and all the rest of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any questions! :)

ref: GAH-88131-455

• bdsgrandstreet
    bdsgrandstreet
    Community Member

@brenty Thanks for this. If we upgrade from 3 to 7 will he still have all of his passwords saved? If he upgrades his laptop from 3 to 7 does he need to upgrade and pay for a subscription on his other devices as well? Or does the $2.99 a month cover all of his devices?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@bdsgrandstreet - 1password.com memberships are per-person, not per-device. An individual 1password.com account is $2.99/mo (if paid annually) for as many devices as your boss owns/uses 1Password on.

• bdsgrandstreet
    bdsgrandstreet
    Community Member

@Lars @brenty Can someone answer my question about upgrading - will it mean that the old information will be lost?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@bdsgrandstreet - sorry for not answering your question fully. I assume your boss has an older Mac on which he's been using 1Password 3 for Mac. If that's the case, he'll have a file ending in .agilekeychain somewhere on his hard drive. It will probably be in ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/ but might be elsewhere if he moved it to Dropbox for sync or for some other purpose. 1Password 7 for Mac no longer supports that older Agile Keychain format, but it can import it into a new 1password.com account quite easily.

• bdsgrandstreet
    bdsgrandstreet
    Community Member

@Lars thank you - are there instructions on how to do that posted somewhere? It might be easy for the average tech person but I want to make sure he's able to do this since I am not at his office to assist.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bdsgrandstreet: Absolutely. This guide will take you through updating to the new version and removing the old:

How to upgrade from 1Password 3 on your Mac

That will get you setup using the new version, and then this guide covers migrating to a 1Password.com account:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

And if there are any questions along the way, we're here to help. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.