1Password 7.0b8 not offering touch ID

Options
t3chdag
t3chdag
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I hope someone can help. My 2017 Macbook Pro (MacOS 10.13.4) decided to behave strangely out of the blue today. I came back to the computer after a break and everything was slow.. Menus, Screen refresh etc and the fans were running at full speed. I restarted the computer, it booted I was able to type in my password for the HD (its file vault encrypted) and it eventually booted into the finder after quite a long period of time. I logged out and logged back in, however it took 9 attempts of tping in the CORRECT password before it accepted it and bootied the finder.

Anway, first thing i did was remove my icloud account and touch ID settings and put them back to see if that fixed the problem. Thats when I noticed some weirdness with 1Password 7.0b8. It works, however I have to always type in my password to unlock it. It never offers the Touch ID option.. I even have the "allow Touch ID to unlock 1Password" option ticked. Ive unticked it, shutdown the computer, restarted the computer, re-ticked it and still no joy.. Even the plugins and contextual menu item say "enter password to enable touch ID" and when I do, 1Password works , but still no touch ID..

Im wondering if my Touch ID enclave has died? I can use touch ID to swap accounts in Mac OS and it also works for unlocking the screen when the computer goes into screensaver mode, however 1Password 7.0b8 refuses to acknowledge Touch ID in any way, even with the option ticked in settings...

This all just happened out of the blue and I cant seem to fix the problem. Any help from you guys would be great

Brett.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• rudy
    Options

@t3chdag,

We'd be interested in getting a diagnostic report from you just after you unlock with your master password to see if there are any hints there as to why it might be failing to show you the Touch ID button on the lock screen. It should take your master password unlock and generate a new unlock secret that Touch ID should use the next time you unlock. Is there any text on the lock screen when you're in this state to indicate that you need to supply your password in order to re-auth Touch iD?

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Rudy

• t3chdag
    t3chdag
    Community Member
    Options

Agilebits Support automated email reply subject:

Re: [#JAW-29372-517] 1Password 7b8 not offering touch ID Mac

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@t3chdag - thanks so much for doing the legwork on that; someone will be with you shortly.

ref: JAW-29372-517

• t3chdag
    t3chdag
    Community Member
    Options

Guys, further update.. With the release of the new beta:

1Password 7
    Version 7.0.BETA-9 (70000009)

it still doesn't work... Im getting the same problem. No Touch ID at all, even with the setting on or off.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@t3chdag - thanks for the update, and I'm sorry we haven't got a solution for you on this one yet. We're still looking into this issue, and we appreciate your patience.

• t3chdag
    t3chdag
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for that. Ive replied to an email from support to try some things, but they also didn't work.. Now updated to 7b9 and the problem persists...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@t3chdag - I'm sorry for the ongoing issues; to avoid having to coordinate among multiple people and multiple points-of-contact, let's keep the conversation going via email, if you don't mind.

• mikzalis
    mikzalis
    Community Member
    Options

I've had the same issue with 7.0.1 and 7.0.2. After upgrading from 6.
    My fix that worked:
    1. Disable Touch ID for 1Password.
    2. Restart computer.
    3. Reenable Touch ID.

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mikzalis Thanks for the tip, glad that worked for you! We'll add that knowledge to our continued efforts in fixing Touch ID for the others it's still not working for. :)

ref: apple-1594

• omarsultan
    omarsultan
    Community Member
    Options

Also having the same issue w/ Late 2016 MBP, 10.14 Beta (18A314h) and 1Password 7 Version 7.0.5.BETA-1 (70005001). TouchID was working with the first beta of Mojave. IIRC, after the reboot from the install of Mojave Beta 2, 1Password crashed on the initial restart, then after that, it loaded fine, but with no TouchID. I can provide diags if its helpful--have not tried @mikzalis tip yet.

• rudy
    Options

@omarsultan,

It is a known issue that Mojave beta 2 made a change that prevents Touch iD from working in 1Password.

Rudy

• imajes
    imajes
    Community Member
    Options

That's helpful to know-- @rudy, will you please keep this bunch of us updated on that ..? :)

• rudy
    Options

@imajes,

I've filed a radar with Apple as this isn't something we can directly fix.

Rudy

• imajes
    imajes
    Community Member
    Options

@rudy: got it. Well, there are 3 possible outcomes:

1, apple fixes something for b3, and it all magically works again (most likely)
    2. apple fixes something for b3, and that requires you to make a change to support a new SDK
    3. apple doesn't fix anything, and there's some kind of change required to support the SDK differently or so on.

I suspect it'll just start working again in b3, but i imagined that you are tracking this closer than we all are, hence the request ;) if anything is required on your side, it'd be good to know if there's an impact. I miss touchid, you know? :)

• rudy
    Options

@imajes,

I'm leaning towards it being #3.

• imajes
    imajes
    Community Member
    Options

@rudy: thanks for that info, and also, :-1: & :( because of it. I mean i guess it's a major enough release to break compat but still...

• rudy
    Options

@imajes,

it may also turn out to be #1, i'm seeing a lot of secd failures to read entitlements out of applications, applications that definitely have those entitlements set.

also long time no freenode.

• imajes
    imajes
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, it's early still but it's not the sort of thing that apple would break unintentionally.... that said, nothing in the rn, so let's see what b3 brings..

and yeah, i knew i remembered you.. :)

• rudy
    Options

@imajes,

yup, looking forward to a less buggy b3 release.

• mirv
    mirv
    Community Member
    Options

Mojave b3 didn't fix this, apparently. I just sent a diagnostic report using the 1PasswordTroubleshooting app. Would it be helpful to enter a radar to Apple bugreport as well?

• rudy
    Options

@mirv,

I'll close out the ticket in our email system, the DR isn't going to be useful. Filing a radar with Apple would be, as they'll use the increase in reports of that issue to give it attention.

• mirv
    mirv
    Community Member
    Options

OK will do, thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mirv - :) :+1:

• idkirk
    idkirk
    Community Member
    Options

Understand beta on beta issues, but just a heads up...

I'm not sure how long its been out, I think this is at least the 3rd beta update it has been unavailable, but it had worked with earlier versions of Mojave beta.

1P beta working fine on other machine with High Sierra 10.13.6

Have turned on/off, deleted/reinstalled. Option to use touch never presents.

1Password Version: 7.1 Beta 1
    Extension Version: 4.7.2.90
    OS Version: 10.14 Beta 18A336e
    Sync Type: Dropboc

• rudy
    Options

@idkirk,

I've folded your comments into a discussion that already talks about the current state of things.

TLDR: Its a known issue that will need a fix on Apple's side.

• rudy
    Options

Update to 10.14 Developer Beta 5 or newer.

• Luke240
    Luke240
    Community Member
    Options

It's back!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Luke240 - indeed, that seems to be the consensus. I don't have a Touchbar-capable Mac, myself, so I'm only going by what I've heard around the water cooler (literally, we have an internal Slack channel called "water cooler," LOL), but it does seem that Beta 5 or higher appears to have squashed this particular bug. Glad it's working for you!

• t3chdag
    t3chdag
    Community Member
    Options

An update for everyone, yes it does look like Mojave Beta 5 - 10.14 Beta (18A347e) does indeed bring back the touch id functionality. However for me, its NOT consistent. Im trying to get to the bottom of it, but at this stage, sometimes when i boot up my Mac, touch ID works in 1Password Beta 7.1 beta 1 (app + web plugin) but after a while, when the computer goes to sleep or i dont use it for a while, it loses 1Password loses touch ID again, even AFTER typing in the password to re-activate it. Ive even had 1Password fail to enable touch ID after a cold boot of the computer. So its not quite there yet, but getting better...

• rudy
    Options

@t3chdag,

What do you have your "Require Master Password every" setting set to on the Security tab of the preferences window?

This discussion has been closed.