Difference between 1P6 Browser Extension and 1P6 Mini

Options
drlevbk
drlevbk
Community Member

I do not quite understand the difference in functionality between the browser extension and the mini. Of course, the 1P browser extension provides the 1P access through the 1P icon in the browser window menu bar and the 1P mini provides 1P access through the 1P icon of the Finder menu bar, but otherwise they appear to open the same 1P window. Though I did install and have been using the 1P6 Extensions in Firefox and Safari, why I could not just use the 1P Mini from within the browser. I am sure I am missing something.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.2.90
OS Version: OS X 10.13.4
Sync Type: none

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

The 1Password browser extension allows your browser to talk to 1Password. 1Password mini is effectively, as I understand it, a front end for the main 1Password app. If you have 1Password installed then you also have 1Password mini. However, each browser that you use must have the relevant 1Password extension (or add on) to allow the browser to communicate with the 1Password app.

There is a support article about 1Password mini (although it's about the 1Password 7 mini rather than the 1Password 6 mini and there are many significant differences—although the role of each version's mini is much the same):

Get to know 1Password mini on your Mac

Stephen

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@drlevbk - @Stephen_C's description is basically correct: there are three parts to 1Password: the main application, 1Password mini, and whatever browser extensions you install into the various browsers you use. The reason the windows they open look the same is because they are the same: the 1Password extension is overall a very "dumb" conduit which allows 1Password to manipulate data in the fields of web pages you visit: saving and filling your Login (and some other, like credit card and identity) data. But when you click it, it's the 1Password mini window you're actually opening.

In order for any application on your computer to act within a browser, an extension or plug-in must be used; this is how 3rd party applications are permitted by the browser developers to do so. Without the extension, Safari (or Firefox or Chrome) does not give you permission to automatically fill, save, etc. Hope that helps. :)

This discussion has been closed.