Firefox: Clearing all history clears setting

Options

When I clear my Firefox history with all options checked like this:

It also clears (at least) one setting in 1Password X. I had "Always show logins when a field is focused" disabled. Cleared all history and the "Always show logins when a field is focused" was enabled again.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.7.1
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• dteare
    Options

You're right, @alanper, that's exactly what happens when clearing Firefox's history like that. From what I've seen our local database remains intact but all our settings as well as config settings are wiped. This last one is rather annoying as each time you restart Firefox and unlock 1Password X you will receive an email saying you added a new device to your account.

I personally believe Firefox is being overly zealous here as extensions should be exempt here (after all, a privacy invading extension could do much worse things than storing something in local storage). But with that said, we'll likely change our code to store everything in the database as that seems to be safe from this operation.

++dave;

• alanper
    alanper
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

I see that in version 1.7.3 (Firefox) one of the items fixed is "All Vaults configuration is saved properly in Firefox".
    I have updated to 1.7.3 for Firefox and noted that the problem is still occuring. Should this be working correctly now?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@alanper: I'll let Dave jump in here and correct me if I'm mistaken, but my reading of the issue you describe above and the one that we fixed in 1.7.3 don't appear to be related. Certainly clearing all of the settings would also affect the All Vaults configuration, but I believe the fix was specifically for that setting and not a redesign how 1Password X uses local storage.

• alanper
    alanper
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

@brenty: You mentioned "Certainly clearing all of the settings would also affect the All Vaults configuration". But Chrome 1Password X works differently to Firefox 1Password X. Clearing the cache/history etc. (i.e. everything you can clear when pressing ctrl-shift-delete) in Chrome does not clear the 1Password X settings (in Firefox it does).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Right. But what I'm saying is that the fix in 1.7.3 seems to be specifically for an issue with saving the settings in the first place.

• alanper
    alanper
    Community Member
    Options

Has this issue been receiving any attention? I am using 1Password X v1.9.0 in Firefox and still notice that clearing all cookies, history etc. (as per image in 1st post) removes 1Password X settings changes.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@alanper: It's something we'd like to work around in the future, but it would involve some fundamental changes to how 1Password X stores data in Firefox. The only reason we're at version 1.9.0 today is because of all of the work we've been doing in other areas, which benefit all 1Password X users (or at least most of them). A Firefox-specific change like this isn't out of the question, but we really need to prioritize things that will impact a greater number of users if we can. I'm not sure it's something we'll be able to work on in the short term, but we haven't forgotten about this specific case.

This discussion has been closed.