email notifications not working

JamesHenderson
JamesHenderson
Community Member

Is anyone else not getting email notifications when the should?

I have been missing a lot of responses and posts excuse of it.

J.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@JamesHenderson: You can also always find notifications at the top there, next to Drafts. But as far as email notifications, I assure you they work because I get quite a lot of them. However, you wouldn't be the first to have them get caught in spam filters, either at the server level or in your email client. Definitely worth looking into. :)

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

My spam filter is showing nothing. Can you post the "from" address here so I can whitelist it to be sure?

• The from address is forum@agilebits.com though we will likely be changing that to forum@1password.com soon(ish).

Thanks.

Ben

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member

@Ben thanks. Would you mind replying so I can see if it works now?

• @JamesHenderson as requested

Ben

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member

@Ben OK, so I whitelisted both addresses and I am still not receiving any notifications.

• Hi @JamesHenderson,

I made some changes to your account, it wasn't verified. It is now, do you see any emails?

• Hi @JamesHenderson,

Can you double check your email address in your forum profile? We're getting some kind of error when we try to contact your email address, it's not accepting emails at the moment.

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

@MikeT it looks completely correct to me and I am receiving emails from other people etc.

...I just changed it to something else and then back again. I am not receiving the confirmation email either. I don't want to post my address here - can we chat privately somehow?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@JamesHenderson: I'll shoot you an email and private message here shortly. It sounds like you won't receive a notification for the private message or my comment here, but both will show up at the top of the page under Notifications. But please look in your email first and reply there if you can, as that will avoid you having to wait around for me with a private message. Just using that as a fallback if necessary.

ref: YWW-32842-956

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

@brenty @MikeT could one of you please reply to this - checking my notifications again....

• Hi @JamesHenderson! Hopefully, this reaches your inbox.

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member

yes, got it! ...phew, quite a relief :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

🎉😃👍

• @JamesHenderson I’m very glad to hear the problem was ultimately resolved. What ended up being the difficulty, if you don’t mind sharing?

Ben

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member

@ben sure - its a tad embarrassing; I went to the web interface of my email provider and discovered that I had a rule for whitelisting that was actually "silently discarding". It must be very old as I don't even remember creating it as I had a second rule for whitelisting that was working fine. Agilebits was in the "discard whitelist" rule but not the "working whitelist" rule.

• Thanks for that information! It may be helpful in the future if other customers run across similar difficulties.

Ben

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member

no worries - I am still kicking myself for not working this out sooner and wasting everyone's time.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hey, I think we all learned a valuable lesson: if possible, leave the settings alone. :lol:

• Ind3X
    Ind3X
    Community Member

I've also stopped receiving email notifications for around a month now. I logged in tonight and saw around half a dozen notifications in the header bar. I also haven't received any notification emails for replies to a thread I opened tonight.

Was working fine up until recently, last notification email I received was 14th Feb. They are not in my spam folder. Please advise?

• Hi @Ind3X

We have seen a few reports of that. All of the recent reports were from folks using Microsoft (@outlook.com / @hotmail.com) email addresses, and so we were under the impression this may be isolated to those services. It looks like that is not the case for you, though. We have reached out to our forum provider, Vanilla Forums, who send these emails on our behalf. Hopefully they'll be able to track down the source of the difficulty.

Ben

• Ind3X
    Ind3X
    Community Member

@Ben. Thanks for the info, glad to hear it's being looked into.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• Lygio
    Lygio
    Community Member

I have selected in my profile to be notified via e-mail when some comments on my posts. I received 5 comments last week and never received an e-mail.

1Password Version: 7.3BETA 4
    Extension Version: 7.3BETA 4
    OS Version: os 12.0.3
    Sync Type: subscription to 1Pasword

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Lygio: Sorry for the confusion there. We're aware that users of some email providers are not receiving notification emails, and we're looking into it. Are you by any chance using a Microsoft-affiliated email service?

• Lygio
    Lygio
    Community Member

No my address is with Apple

• Thanks for the update @Lygio. I've added a note to our case on this for you.

Ben

• Vicw
    Vicw
    Community Member
    edited March 2019

FWIW, if it might add to the isolation of the problem, I'm on a Gmail address, and the last Notification email I received was on Feb 25th, although I've had about 20 comments received since then, through Mar 23r.d.

• Thanks for the additional data point @Vicw. We've reached out to our forum provider about this difficulty and are awaiting their response.

Ben

• tetardbleu
    tetardbleu
    Community Member

It seems the issue is back again :'( (hotmail domain).

This discussion has been closed.