American Airlines login

I am also facing issues capturing and filling AA lastName field. I have read numerous post and followed the advised procedure mentioned here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/348551/#Comment_348551
I have tried saving the login manually however when autofilling the lastName is left empty. I can see the lastName in the Saved Form Details though. I have tried both Chrome and Firefox. Any ideas what I am missing here?

1Password Version: 7.07
Extension Version: 4.7.2.90
OS Version: OS X 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:american airlines

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @socceric,

Just to confirm, are you attempting this on the dedicated sign-in page at https://www.aa.com/loyalty/login ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@socceric: With the current stable releases of the 1Password app and desktop extension, you'd need to save the login on the page you want to fill it at. You can find more details here.

We're also actively working on our new filling engine, and also on a better solution for this site in particular since it's problematic in many scenarios. Hopefully we'll have more to share on this in the not-too-distant future.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@socceric: I don't think so. I'm not having any trouble saving and filling a login here with the following:

macOS 10.13.6
    Chrome 68.0.3440.84
    1Password 7.0.7
    extension 4.7.2.90
    https://www.aa.com/loyalty/login

1. Navigate to website
    2. Enter login credentials
    3. Click the 'keyhole' icon to bring up the extension
    4. Click the 'gear' icon for Settings
    5. Click Save New Login
    6. Give it a name and Save
    7. Close the webpage and select your new login from the extension to have 1Password Go & Fill — or use ⌘ \

Please do that, and let me know if there's any other details you left out. Exporting and editing JSON is a pain and will not help in your case anyway.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@socceric: Did you go to the same URL when both saving and filling?

https://www.aa.com/loyalty/login

How are you filling? Keyboard shortcut? Browser toolbar button using mouse?

What version of Chrome are you using?

I can reproduce the problem you're describing with the beta of 1Password for Mac, but from what you've told me you're not using that. If there is any information you haven't provided, please let me know.

• jtucker
    jtucker
    Community Member

I have the same problem with AA.com, but I AM on the latest 1Password beta (7.1.BETA-4; installed today (and running Mojave beta 7, Build 18A371a). I've tried two of the tips: 1) manually create a new login (it works exactly like the old one), and 2) use the bit of code someone posted to create a new item and customize it. I've tried the loyalty login page and the abbreviated login box on aa.com. The last name is in the saved web form, but not shown as one of the login fields.

All behave identically: Open and fill opens the AA page and fills AAdvantage Number and the Password, skipping the Last Name field. If I open the page manually and press Cmd-\, the same thing happens. The same thing happens on AA.com login box as on the "loyalty login" page. Once 1Password has filled the first two items, if I press Cmd-\ again, it fills in the Last Name. Again same behavior on both login pages.

Pressing Cmd-\ twice is not the worst workaround in the world, but clearly this isn't behaving in the 1Password beta as expected.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018

@jtucker: As mentioned above, this only works with the stable release of the 1Password desktop app. There isn't a solution in the beta currently. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018

@socceric: Thanks for the additional details. I'm sorry for the trouble there. We're looking into ways to help with both of those cases. :(

• khaosspawn
    khaosspawn
    Community Member

For me it populates the user id into the last name - and the password into the password - which obviously errors. I have no work around other than to manually copy/paste the fields.

• khaosspawn
    khaosspawn
    Community Member

I'm on:

1Password 7
    Version 7.1.1 (70101001)
    AgileBits Store

Mac 10.13.6 (17G65)

Using Safari Version 11.1.2 (13605.3.8)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019

@khaosspawn: Indeed, this is something we're working to improve in the new filling engine. I'm sorry for the inconvenience in the mean time. :(

ref: xplatform/filling-issues#130

• @socceric, @jtucker & @khaosspawn

Can you see if the details in American Airlines workaround for 1Password 7.1 for Mac and 7.2 for Windows help at all. I'm not going to claim it's a complete fix but I'm hoping it helps a little in the meanwhile.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2018

Hi @socceric,

I've tweaked the language a little to better indicate that it should work on the homepage of both domains, thank you.

So why does this Login item work? The default filling strategy for 3+ fields only comes into play when the Login item is saved within the browser. It needs to know the page you want 1Password to fill and to record what should go into what field. We'll skip past why it breaks down on American Airlines and move to a secondary filling approach. When we first added it to 1Password we were worried that it could have a significant impact if we weren't careful so we limited it to items saved from inside the main 1Password window. That way it should suddenly result in a lot of unintended and unpredictable usage. While you can't see it 1Password does have a way of knowing how the item was saved. After that it's about adding the required fields to saved form details. The field type has to match what is on the page and what we do is compare the label of the field in the Login item to (where available) the ID or name attribute, associated label or placeholder text at a pinch. The best match is to the ID. There's a metric for trying to determine how good a fit it is and we compare that to the other filling attempts and pick the one we believe is the best. The labels in this item are an exact match to the IDs of the fields on the dedicated page and a partial match to those on the homepage but it's sufficient so that we fill all three fields. So this approach does require an understanding of the underlying HTML but it can have nice success when the default approaches struggle.

What I don't have an answer for at the moment is why aa.com requires two fill commands and why the results differ the second time. It should be consistent or at least it was in the past but something is clearly going on under the hood.

If you have questions ask away and I'll do my best to answer them :smile:

-- Edit --

Sadly this does require 1Password for Mac as 1Password for Windows doesn't currently have quite the same editing of the saved form details. That's why I'm more than happy to create the 1PIF files so that everybody can use them.

• Hello @socceric,

So 1Password for Mac does have the required functionality to create the Login item and likely the only reason 1Password for Windows doesn't yet is because it hasn't reached the top of the list in terms of priorities. I'm sure in time 1Password for Windows will also be able to do this if we haven't rejigged filling before then.

As for the rest, there are already some wish list items in terms of future filling and we'll need to see how that pans out before we could commit to any of the above. The web form details is for the most part considered black box behaviour and that works for the vast majority of sites. The new filling code in 7.1 for Mac and 7.2 for Windows did have the unfortunate impact of highlighting American Airlines but we do have an issue filed and I'm sure we will address it so that none of the Login gymnastics are required. I'm sure we'll see a number of improvements to filling as the new code matures.

• squeakytoy81
    squeakytoy81
    Community Member

I'm noticing that this is still an issue in 7.2.2.BETA-2. Is there any possibility of this getting resolved at some point in the near future?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

If we can find a way to make 1Password understand these sorts of nonstandard login forms better in a future version, absolutely.

• squeakytoy81
    squeakytoy81
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply, @brenty! I'm not sure if you can elaborate, but I don't understand what's non-standard about this form. There are 3 fields that always have the same exact form names associated with them in the HTML, and I'm able to see the values in the form data that's saved in 1Password, but for some reason the app is unable to fill this form in on this particular website. The fact that there's a workaround where you export the login and reimport it, and then have to click the fill button twice, also seems strange to me (this was posted by a 1Password team member, IIRC). What am I missing that's special about this particular form? Is it just that 1Password doesn't support filling in more than 2 fields?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @squeakytoy81,

In general 1Password can fill three plus fields as long as the item is saved in the browser. We need that because generalisations are only reliable when you're dealing with a text field for a username and a password field for the password. American Airlines is just one of those sites that we seem to struggle with getting right and maintaining the correctness. So for the moment it does require the daft steps as detailed in American Airlines workaround for 1Password 7.1 for Mac and 7.2 for Windows. I don't have an ETA as to when we'll have a more sensible version of 1Password that copes better here but it will eventually happen of that I'm certain.

• skiaddict
    skiaddict
    Community Member

I just noticed on my Mac all three fields are auto filled but on iOS using the same saved password entry, it does not fill my last name in safari on iPad.

• Hey @skiaddict, can you please try filling with the 1Password extension on iOS, rather than using iOS Password AutoFill for this one? I just tested this and this allowed me to fill all three fields. :smile:

https://support.1password.com/1password-extension-ios/

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @socceric ,
    There have been some changes since.

Firstly, the issues in the websites mentioned in this discussions has been resolved in 1Password X. That means that they will get to 1Password for Mac and 1Password for Windows soon.

Secondly, it is now possible to add custom fields in the logins both in 1Password for Mac and for Windows, and 1Password will autofill these fields if their name is identical to the name of the html tag on the website. So if you encounter a website where a field is not being autofilled, you can right click and select "Inspect", then copy its name tag or id tag, and use them as a custom field in the login item in your 1Password app.

If you encounter any issues with specific websites, feel free to send the URL(s) over to us at support+extension@1password.com and we'll be happy to test things for you and provide you with solutions or report it to our developers for further investigation.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Happy to help :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.