To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Can't locate secret key [see 1Password Support article: https://support.1password.com/secret-key/]

Options
katespatates
katespatates
Community Member
edited August 2018 in Memberships

I've been using the Apple application for years, and I'm now trying to get a mobile account going, as well. I don't think I had a membership, so I registered, but now when I log in, it's asking for my secret key, which I never created. When I searched for "how to find my secret key," it says I have to just log in first - but I can't log in because the log-in screen is asking for the key. What in the world?? Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Trapped in a Secret Key circle of death...

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there @katespatates

Secret Keys are only for people with 1Password.com memberships. If you never signed up for a 1Password membership, you wouldn't have a Secret Key, nor would you really need one. If you want to switch over to a membership and take care of its numerous benefits, we can work towards that. Otherwise, how have you been syncing your 1Password data so far?

• katespatates
    katespatates
    Community Member
    Options

I'm so confused. What do I have with 1PW, then, if not a membership?

I exclusively use 1PW on my Macbook, so I'm not sure how to answer your Q re: syncing. I just use the Chrome extension shortcut to enter my password when trying to log into a website, and that's the extent of it.

I'd like to start using it on mobile, and I don't understand why this is so complicated. How do I get the functionality of 1PW onto my phone? All I want to be able to do is log into a website on the go without having to remember that my password is y7UjqR43#28&rJncMad14XxwNsok x 10^23. Do I need to sign up for a membership? How is that different from what I have?

Thanks.

• katespatates
    katespatates
    Community Member
    Options

And thank you for your response - should have said that from the get-go. Sorry. Just confused. This seems overly complicated.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

@katespatates

There are two ways of using 1Password. One of them is with a standalone license, which is probably how you have been doing things so far. The other is with a membership, which is our subscription-based service that we introduced a couple of years ago.

There are definitely ways of getting your data to sync across multiple devices. The easiest way to do so would be by signing up for a membership. One of the benefits of 1Password membership is that you can access 1Password on any device you own and your data will be instantly synced across all of them with no additional setup or input from you. If you want to switch over to a 1Password membership, follow our Migration Guide over at https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/.

There are some other options if you don't want to go the membership route, but those can be a little more complex to set up.

• WickedGirl
    WickedGirl
    Community Member
    Options

OK so for those of us who paid for 1Password twice on iOS over the years, and do not want to pay again right now, how on earth do we set up 1Password on Windows so that everything we have used on iOS for years is available on Windows. I am with katespatates...why on earth does this have to be so complicated? Of course I should need a password to sign in if I do not want to use a "membership"! How on earth would my stuff be secure without a password? And why can I not log in using my user name/email and password with needing a key that was never given to me? I am also so confused!

• Ben
    Options

@WickedGirl

I’m sorry for the confuston but you’d need to purchase 1Password for Windows (or subscribe to a 1Password membership) in order to use it. It isn’t included with 1Password for iOS.

And why can I not log in using my user name/email and password with needing a key that was never given to me? I am also so confused!

You can’t log in to 1Password.com if you don’t have a 1Password subscription membership. If you don’t then you are using 1Password “standalone” (without an account). All you’ll have in that case is a Master Password, which encrypts your 1Password data that is stored on your device. It isn’t stored on 1Password.com, and as such there is nothing to log in to.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.