To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Forgot master password

Options
mattjn
mattjn
Community Member

I tried to change the master password online. I succeeded changing it but now i can't type the new master password again. What should i do? I'm still logged onto the website account.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• rickache
    rickache
    Community Member
    Options

i have the master password but will not ecept.

• rickache
    rickache
    Community Member
    Options

were do i find my emergency kit

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rickache: You'd only have an Emergency Kit if you saved it from your 1Password.com account, and it would be wherever you put it. Where do you have your 1Password data now?

(Un)fortunately AgileBits has neither access to your 1Password data nor the Master Password used to secure it, so this isn't something we can 'reset' for you to help directly. However, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

Alternatively, if you're part of a 1Password Family or Team, another Owner, Organizer, or Admin can help you recover your account, so you can create a new Secret Key and Master Password:

https://support.1password.com/recovery/#begin-recovery

If that doesn't help though, you will need to either restore from a backup of your data, sync from another device, or simply start over. You can try as many times as you want. You won’t be “locked out”, but you will not be able to access your data unless you can enter the required Master Password correctly. Please let me know how it turns out.

• Darryl_M
    Darryl_M
    Community Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

I do not have my my.1password.com password. I have my "Secret Key", but I do not have the password needed for getting into my account. I can also view my Setup Code, which is a QR code. My status is Subscribed, but I cannot change my password. I try to change my password and I get "Incorrect Password. You've entered an incorrect Master Password, please try again." Can you please help?

• Darryl_M
    Darryl_M
    Community Member
    Options

And I don’t have an emergency kit

• Darryl_M
    Darryl_M
    Community Member
    Options

Found it. Never mind.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @Darryl_M! Thanks for the update. That's excellent news! I’d like to be able to say I’m glad I helped you get things squared away, but since you appear to have solved the problem by yourself, I can’t hardly claim any credit for it. :chuffed: However, around here, we’ve learned to call a win a win whether we had a hand in it or not.

So, congratulations! Keep an eye on things and please let us know if there's anything further we can do to assist you.

• Alainbien
    Alainbien
    Community Member
    Options

Ho there,
    Can someone please help me?
    I have Bern able to Login to 1Password via Fingerprint and i Forget my master password.
    Now I ve changes the iPhone and the fingerprint is no longer working.
    Is there any chance to recover my old master password or my data?
    Thanks
    Alain

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018
    Options

@Alainbien: The Master Password cannot be "recovered" because it is not saved anywhere. And since it is used to encrypt your data, you will not be able to decrypt it without the Master Password. There is no backdoor. However, the tips in this guide may help:

https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

Alternatively, if you're part of a 1Password Family or Team, another Owner, Organizer, or Admin can help you recover your account, so you can create a new Secret Key and Master Password:

https://support.1password.com/recovery/#begin-recovery

Otherwise, you will need to either restore from a backup, sync from another device, or start over. You can try as many passwords as you want. But you won't be able to access your data unless you can enter the Master Password correctly.

• Alainbien
    Alainbien
    Community Member
    Options

Meanwhile, I tried all the old Passwords and one of them has worked. Issue solved. 😅
    Thanks for the response
    Best,
    Alain

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Aha! Excellent! Thanks for the update. I'm relieved to hear that you found the one that works. :)

This discussion has been closed.