Password Generator History?

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: 1Password 7: Where did password generator history go?.

Comments

• Sutherlandon
    Sutherlandon
    Community Member
    Options

I would just like to chime in here. I used the generator in the Chrome extension to generate a new password for my google account, I use that A LOT so I waited quite sometime before I handed that over to 1Password. But I highlighted, copied (ctrl + c), and pasted (ctrl + p) what was generated. I didn't even see, look, or even think there might be a button to copy because I've been using copy/paste for decades! Well 1Password didn't update, and now I've lost the password... and now it's up to Google whether they will give me my account back or not... It's cool that there is a safety net when you click the copy button, but if the default, decades old trained user behavior circumvents your safety net, then it's not good enough. You need to either capture the ctrl + c keystrokes or make the generated password not a text field and only copyable by clicking the button.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Sutherlandon: Did you look for it in 1Password? Unless I'm misunderstanding your description (or you're using an outdated version and are mistakenly posting here), it's likely that it saved a Password item for you.

• Sutherlandon
    Sutherlandon
    Community Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

I’m a new user of 1Password, just over a month, so I’m sure I have the latest version, i’ve Looked in the passwords section and, in fact, everywhere I could see and I couldn’t find it.

Steps to reproduce

1. Click on the Chrome extension icon and select “generate password”
    2. Highligh the generates text with your mouse
    3. Press ctrl+c to copy
    4. Press ctrl+v to paste (anywhere really, a text file would be good for reference)
    5. Close the generator by clicking the X
    6. Go into the 1Password desktop app and try to find the pasted text. (Specifically in the password section)
      —-

These are the steps I used to get a new password and it wasn’t saved anywhere for me. Maybe you can try and see if it works differently for you.

Google gave me my account back today and as a fellow web developer, this is just for your reference. Let me know what you come up with. 😁

• rudy
    edited August 2018
    Options

@Sutherlandon,

Step 5 sounds out of place, there isn't any X in the window that the Password Generator appears in.

Step 6 you'd have better luck sorting the password list by last modified, as search won't search the contents of the password fields themselves.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018
    Options

@Sutherlandon: I was pretty sure to begin with, but I did test it to be certain before I replied to you earlier: 1Password saves a Password item when selecting the generated password and pressing ⌘ C here too. I'm also not sure what X you're referring to, but I suspect that's irrelevant. As Rudy mentioned, it should be fairly easy to check sorting my date modified, as the item would be at or near the top, depending on how many others were created since your initial post. I'm glad you were able to get into your account, but I'd like to verify that it's working correctly on your machine.

• Sutherlandon
    Sutherlandon
    Community Member
    Options

After following my own steps to repeat the error, I did in fact find that it worked as you described. Even using ctrl+c automatically closes the window and it saves in 1Password. So with that, I can't reproduce the error either. All I know now is that for some reason a ended up in the situation I did, lost access to an account with a password that was nowhere to be found...

Just for your reference:

1. I also found that there were only 5 entries in the password section so sorting didn't really help me there, but it is still a good idea
    2. the "x" I was referring to is on the Windows 10 version of Chrome (I noticed both of you are using Mac's) so here is an image:

Anyways, Thank you both for your quick responses and attention to your users. It is a welcome and refreshing experience during stressful times like when you get locked out of your important account. ;)

• rudy
    Options

@Sutherlandon,

I've split. you off from the existing discussion because you posted in the Mac Beta forum and you're looking for the Windows version of 1Password.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Sutherlandon,

A few things to clarify;

1. If you have more than one vault, 1Password will save new Password items to the default vault you set in 1Password's Settings > Vaults. So, if you have more than one vault, be sure to check the default vault to see if it is there.
    2. Just to be clear, do you not see a Password item generated with the google.com in the title and website fields in the Passwords category?

Here's what I see when I bring up 1Password mini on top of google.com site and generated a new password for:

Ignore the top Convert to Login button, it is a new feature that's coming soon in the 1Password 7.2 update but this Google.com data should show up since it was added in 6.8 update.

If neither one happened, can you email us your 1Password diagnostics report, there may be something in the logs to help us explain what happened. Please use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@1Password.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

This discussion has been closed.