Can I go back to v.6 extension for browsers?

nancyagee
nancyagee
Community Member
edited June 2018 in Mac

I recently tried Version 7, and for the most part I like the update to the Mac app. However, I DO NOT like the new version of the browser extension - the window is too big, too complicated, and provides too much unnecessary information. The old version was much better (and cleaner) - it easily got me to what I needed to fill in a webpage and open it. That is one of the main purposes of 1Password. If I want to see all of the other information, I can just open the app.

Is there a way (via preferences?) to make the extension window cleaner looking?

There a second issue regarding the constant notices of weak passwords, etc. Sometimes I WANT to use a weak password - it is ok to be reminded, but there needs to be a way to turn the warnings off.

I have been using 1Password for many, many years, but this is the first time that I've not been impressed with an upgrade. If I can't fix these issues, I'll probably go back to Version 6.

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: OS 10.13.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Go Back to the Old Extension Window

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @nancyagee,

There is no v6 extension. The 1Password extension is merely a bridge between the browser and 1Password and has no UI (User Interface) of its own. 1Password mini is completely supplied by the 1Password application.

1Password mini will undoubtedly be tweaked as we learn more about where it works and where it doesn't but I very much doubt we'll see it return to the old style in 1Password 6 for Mac.

• nancyagee
    nancyagee
    Community Member

A number of years ago, I set up 1Password for my elderly father so that he could move on from writing his passwords on a notebook (or worse, on post it notes!). If I had started him with version 7, I can guarantee that he would not have been able to figure out how to use that complicated window. As it is, I have OTHER elderly relatives that use Macs, and I am now very reluctant to recommend 1Password to them. What was once simple and easy has now become very complicated.

Please ask your developers to consider a preference setting or some other way reduce the amount of information shown on the mini window. If nothing else, the sidebar I should be able to reduce the sidebar as I can on the Mac app.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @nancyagee,

I can file an issue but reports have to be very specific, if I file one that basically says has become very complicated and option to reduce information it will get closed immediately as un-actionable. What we need to do is learn what you mean by complicated and would information you would want to see removed.

Part of the issue is because I'm not instinctively understanding what you mean I can't attempt to fill in the blanks. The new UI (User Interface) will take a bit of getting used to but I'm not seeing what it is displaying that wasn't present in the old style menu. Both display the current matches, both allow access to a Password Generator and both allowed a user to navigate based on item category or tags. The Suggested items section has been beefed up a bit in that it will display Credit Card and Identity items as they are always available for filling but the matching Login items appear on top, just as they do in the old style mini. The use of the sidebar means certain sections, such as categories can be hidden which the old style approach couldn't do.

Hopefully I can better understand what you view as the additional complexity and we can see what might be done.

• karlegas
    karlegas
    Community Member

Oh My Gosh!!! I don't understand why the 1Password developers do not pay attention to the users requests and be defensive about the UI bad decisions. It's so complicated stay the things working like the version 6?

Not talking about the the big window with this all information, the most bug me is the browser extension icon when click pop ups this mega window on the center of my iMac screen 27 inches, so I need move my mouse cursor to that place to select the password. Before in 1Password 6 it shows a scroll down window below the icon and I can select easily my passwords.

So what is not possible to make works in the old fashion way? If not I will back to my version 6 with its good things.

Do you hear that saying an old dog cannot learns new tricks?

Karl

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@karlegas:

the most bug me is the browser extension icon when click pop ups this mega window on the center of my iMac screen 27 inches, so I need move my mouse cursor to that place to select the password.

You do know that you can drag the window to where you want it and it will remember that location for the next time it's opened? I know that doesn't address all your concerns but it may help. (You'll probably find it easier to drag the window when 1Password mini is locked.)

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@karlegas: Thanks for your feedback! As Stephen_C mentioned, you can click and drag 1Password mini to place it anywhere you want on screen, and it will remember its position. That will allow you to put it but by the 1Password button if that's your preference. :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @karlegas,

The new interface has been inspired by Spotlight and so the default location is the middle of the screen. The new 1Password mini is can be moved (just like the old menu could) and also be resized. Like the old menu it can also be navigated using the keyboard if moving the mouse cursor seems onerous for any reason. While I'm sure there will be tweaks to the new approach based on what we've learned, I don't see us returning to the old approach.

As the 1Password mini interface is supplied by the native client, returning to the old menu would mean removing 1Password 7 entirely and returning to 1Password 6 which is no longer under active development. You could return if you feel strongly about it but and as is often the case, eventually there will be scenarios where remaining on an older version causes certain limitations in terms of browser and operating system support. I don't expect 1Password 6 to suddenly stop working but as we've seen time and time again, as 1Password relies heavily on both the operating system and the various browsers if they are both updated and 1Password isn't it eventually results in incompatibilities. If you still wish assistance in returning to 1Password 6 let us know.

• karlegas
    karlegas
    Community Member

Thank you Stephen_C, I don't know about the window can be dragged to a specific position, could be works at less if the window was not too big with that sidebar.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad Stephen_C's tip helped. We're here if you have any other questions. :)

• jamestalmage
    jamestalmage
    Community Member

I just upgraded, and my initial take was similar to everyones here.

My biggest complaint is that moving the box to the center of the screen violates Fitt's Law (a very well established and uncontroversial design principle). Minimizing mouse movement by putting their most likely target (in this case the most likely login), directly below where they just clicked is the right choice according to Mr Fitt. In v6, the browser extension window behaved as a drop down menu, which is maybe the most recognizable and well established elements of Desktop UI design.

Using the keyboard shortcuts mitigates all these complaints. I believe Spotlight avoids being called out as a Fitt's Law violation because it is almost universally launched via the keyboard. Also, Spotlight is about searching for something, and therefore requires a larger UI that can't be crammed up into the corner of the window. Part of the beauty of 1Password is that you usually have my desired action narrowed down to just a handful of options (1 or 2 logins and a few credit card autofills). The larger "Spotlight inspired" interface just isn't required for 95% of my 1Password interactions.

I really think you should implement a small drop down similar to v6. Maybe even paired down more to just the top 3 suggested logins, and a handful of autofills, with a "More..." button at the bottom to launch the Spotlight like interface.

The good news is this annoyance has finally gotten me to start using the keyboard shortcuts. Definitely a better way to use it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, using the keyboard beats all for minimizing mouse movement! :lol: And that's a really good observation about Spotlight. Since you can move 1Password mini wherever you want (easier to do when locked, because pretty much the whole window is draggable then), that can help with the mouse movement thing anyway. We don't have plans to make 1Password mini a tiny menu again because, frankly, we got a lot more complaints when we did that before than we do about the new UI this year, and because most people use almost exclusively in the browser it's important to get as much functionality there as possible. We'll continue to tweak it over time though, taking into account your feedback along with everyone else's. Thank you for chiming in! :)

• NomadUK
    NomadUK
    Community Member

because most people use almost exclusively in the browser it's important to get as much functionality there as possible

If using Mini in a browser is the preferred approach, then the new interface is especially bad. Moving the Mini window is the suggested workaround for not having a drop down menu, but this only works if the window's position relative to the button doesn't change — which is clearly not going to be the case with a browser window.

And suggesting that people memorise keyboard shortcuts instead of using their mouse is not helpful. There's a reason Steve Jobs put a mouse on the Macintosh to begin with.

I really do find it hard to believe that more people complained about having a menu than do about the new window interface.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2018

If using Mini in a browser is the preferred approach, then the new interface is especially bad. Moving the Mini window is the suggested workaround for not having a drop down menu, but this only works if the window's position relative to the button doesn't change — which is clearly not going to be the case with a browser window.

I don't follow your logic. Most people seem to keep the browser in pretty much the same place and, much to my personal horror, Full Screen mode (which would keep the buttons in the same place at all times) is very popular. ;)

And suggesting that people memorise keyboard shortcuts instead of using their mouse is not helpful. There's a reason Steve Jobs put a mouse on the Macintosh to begin with.

What is there to memorize? ⌘ \? That's the only one almost anyone uses for 1Password. And it can be customized.

I really do find it hard to believe that more people complained about having a menu than do about the new window interface.

You'd be surprised. :lol:

• jamestalmage
    jamestalmage
    Community Member
    edited September 2018

I move windows around all the time. Usually it's just one of two/three positions: maximized, left half, or right half of screen - (BetterTouchTool is awesome, btw).

I tried moving it under the browser button. This was more infuriating than the middle, as it didn't follow when I moved the window.

What about making it snap to the bottom of the browser button when you move the window close? Then it should be considered "docked" to the browser button, and appear below the browser button when that is what you click (and in the center if you launch it some other way).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jamestalmage: I'm not sure there's a reliable way to do that, but it's an interesting idea. Extensions that actually run in the browser get the whole "menu" thing "for free" because that's where we live. 1Password's extension isn't what you see when using 1Password in the browser though; all of that's handled by the native 1Password app.

This discussion has been closed.