To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

I believe I know my password but can't sign in w/o my secret key. Can't get that w/o signing in!

Options
dkking
dkking
Community Member

I purchased a new phone but can't sign in to 1password. It says I need my secret key but I can't get that without signing in. And I'm frustrated with your website. Its not helping me and I feel like I'm going around in circles. How am I suppose to get my secret key without signing in?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I believe I know my password but can't sign in w/o my secret key. Can't get that w/o signing in!

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @dkking! If you have a new device, did you restore from a backup image of your previous phone? Or did you just start downloading familiar apps and using the phone as new? If it's the latter, then that may explain what you're experiencing. When you have a 1password.com account, each time you sign into it on a device you've never used before, you'll need to provide not only your Master Password but also your Secret Key, for security purposes. After the first time, the Secret Key is stored in the app's local memory so you only need your Master Password for subsequent uses.

When you signed up for your 1password.com account, you would've been prompted to save your Emergency Kit -- do you have that printed out or saved as a PDF anywhere? If so, that should have your Secret Key on it. The other option would be if you are using 1Password on any other devices, you can get the Secret Key from there. You may also be able to get it from a browser that you've used to sign into your account from, previously.

ref: NZF-63931-937

This discussion has been closed.