Passwords no longer autofill on multi-page login forms

Previously (since version 7), when I ran into a multi-page login form (for example, Google or Amazon Sign in, or https://www.qrz.com/login, where the first page asks for the username, the second asks for the password, and the third asks for the 2FA), once I used 1Password to fill in the username and clicked Next to go to the password page, the password would be autofilled. Now I have to open 1Password Mini a second time to fill in the password. Happens in Chrome and Firefox.

I can't find any setting that would affect this. For example, Preferences > Browsers: both Always keep 1Password Extension Helper running and Automatically sign in after filling usernames and passwords already are selected.

What am I missing? Did I inadvertently change some setting?

Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.1.BETA-3 (70100003)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:autofill login password

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Toshen,

1Password combined with the standard extension has only ever filled the currently loaded page so sites like Amazon what was happening was a happy side-effect of the page design, the password field was hidden but did exist when at the stage of asking for the username. There is a large change to how 1Password fills in the current 1Password 7.1 for Mac betas and it will likely mean that the faux two-stage pages like Amazon now require two fill commands, just as if they had been two discrete pages with a load between. So it isn't anything you've changed, it is a change in how 1Password interprets these particular designs. Personally I don't understand why sites are moving to this approach, I fail to see how it improves the experience for the user and I say that without consideration of the use of a password manager.

• Toshen
    Toshen
    Community Member

Okay, thanks for explaining that.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad lil bobby was able to shed some light on the matter. It can definitely be frustrating!

• Toshen
    Toshen
    Community Member

I have now reverted to the stable version of 1Password (7.0.7), and I have to tell you, it is a HUGE relief to have the two-stage "faux" logins autofilling once again. It is painful to have to open the 1Password extension twice for every login to fill in first the username and then the password, as is happening in the redesigned approach implemented in 1Password 7.1-BETA. If it were just once in awhile, okay, but I log into sites like Amazon, Google, and many other sites that use the two-stage logins all day long. I hope you have a really good reason for making this change, because from a usability perspective, it is a big step backwards. For me, it changes the experience of using 1Password from fairly transparent to an irritation that I encounter over and over again all day long. Again, because of this, it was such a relief to revert back to 7.0.7! Consequently, I'm now dreading the upgrade from stable 7.0.7 to 7.1. Perhaps something you should discuss with your UX team? Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Toshen: I can't imagine it being "painful" to press ⌘ \, but, to be clear, 1Password simply doesn't have the capability you're describing: filling on two pages when you've only interacted with the first. So I'm not sure what you're talking about. It sounds like something else — perhaps the browser — is doing the "autofill" on the second page. 1Password won't touch a second page without user interaction. The only other possibility is that there isn't actually a second page, that the first page is just changing as a result of you interacting with it. Can you check the URL(s)? Thanks.

• Toshen
    Toshen
    Community Member

I don't use keyboard shortcuts. Imagine that. Do you or does someone on your team use any Google product? Then you can see what I mean by testing logging in on a Mac first with the stable 1Password version and then with the beta. It's not a question of different URLs; it's two different pages of the login pop-up. Maybe you don't call those pages, but if you actually look at the process, I'm sure you can figure out what I'm reporting.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Toshen: I don't know. Maybe they are different pages for you. That's what I'm trying to establish. I use Google accounts daily, but I'm not seeing what you're describing. Regardless, it should be fairly easy to establish the facts and test from there. When you're on the first "page", what's the URL? When you're on the second "page", what's the URL?

• Toshen
    Toshen
    Community Member

One thing that might be a difference between how you use your computer and how I use mine is that I totally clear the browser cache between sessions. If I walk away from my computer, as I do multiple times per day, I close my browser. When I return, I am starting fresh, with no stored logins, URLs, etc.

As I said in my previous post, it's not a question of different URLs. And I'm having the same experience in Firefox, Chrome, and Safari. FYI, macOS and all the browsers are on the latest stable versions.

When I use the Google Account login (https://www,google.com and then click Sign In), I see the first page/screen/tab/whatever:

I open the 1Password extension and click the Google account I want to use. The username (email or phone) is filled, and I click Next.

The second page/screen/tab/whatever is displayed. In this case, it has a different URL:

When I'm using 1Password 7 stable 7.0.7 (70007000), the password is autofilled, EVEN THOUGH IT HAS A DIFFERENT URL.
    When I was using 1 Password 7 beta 7.1.BETA (all versions of 7.1.BETA), the password was not autofilled, and I had to open the 1Password extension a second time to select the login in order to fill in the password.

(I use 2FA, so after I click Next, I actually see a third page/screen/tab/whatever.)

The ONLY change I made was to stop using 7.1.BETA and revert to 7.0.7. I noticed the change to no longer autofilling passwords when I first started using 7.1.BETA. Immediately after reverting to stable 7.0.7, the passwords began autofilling again. Again, I made no other change.

This change is why I reverted to stable; other than that, I liked everything else about 7.1.BETA.

A similar thing happens on Amazon, only on Amazon, with 7.0.7 the login process actually jumps from the first page/screen/tab/whatever straight to the third page/screen/tab/whatever, for the 2FA entry (I'm guessing the password gets autofilled and Next gets autoclicked). With 7.1.BETA, it went from the first page/screen/tab/whatever to the second page/screen/tab/whatever, where I needed to open the 1Password extenstion again to select the login again in order to fill the password.

A similar thing happens on many other websites. Another example is qrz.com, a site I use frequently, often multiple times daily. The URL of the first page/screen/tab/whatever is https://www.qrz.com/login. The URL of the second page/screen/tab/whatever is https://www.qrz.com/login. The URL of the third page/screen/tab/whatever (for the 2FA entry) is https://www.qrz.com/login. Again, when I use stable 7.0.7, the password gets autofilled on the second page. When I used 7.1.BETA, I had to open the 1Password extension a second time to select the login in order to fill in the password.

So sometimes the URL changes and sometimes it doesn't, but the behavior between 7.0.7 and 7.1.BETA is different in every case, whether or not the URL changes. And I much prefer the behavior 7.0.7, with which the password on the second page/screen/tab/whatever is autofilled without having to open the 1Password extension a second time.

Did 7.1.BETA kill me? No. But it irritated me every day and multiple times per day. 1Password is a utility for me, one I certainly appreciate, but I appreciate it much more when it is less intrusive, i.e., when the passwords are being autofilled. In my opinion, the more transparent the behavior of a utility app, the better.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

When I'm using 1Password 7 stable 7.0.7 (70007000), the password is autofilled, EVEN THOUGH IT HAS A DIFFERENT URL.

@Toshen: I'm not seeing that at all, and in fact never have, with any version of 1Password. Again, what are the URLs in question?

• Toshen
    Toshen
    Community Member

"I'm not seeing that at all, and in fact never have, with any version of 1Password."
    What is it that you're not seeing?

• Are you not seeing the auto-filling of the passwords? I've always seen that when there are multiple page/screen/tab/whatever login flows, with every version of 1Password I've used except not 7.1.BETA. (I've been using 1Password for a pretty long time now.)
    • Or are you not seeing the multiple page/screen/tab/whatever login flows? I've also been seeing those for awhile, at least a few years.

My setup:
    Browser: Chrome Version 68.0.3440.106 (Official Build) (64-bit), though same experience with Firefox 61.0.2 (64-bit) and Safari Version 11.1.2 (13605.3.8).

Google account example:
    1. https://www.google.com/
    2. Click Sign In (blue button, upper-right corner).
    3. Next page/screen/tab/whatever: https://accounts.google.com/signin/v2/identifier?hl=en&passive=true&continue=https://www.google.com/&flowName=GlifWebSignIn&flowEntry=ServiceLogin
    4. Open 1Password and select the account to sign in with. Click blue Next button.
    5. Next page/screen/tab/whatever: https://accounts.google.com/signin/v2/sl/pwd?hl=en&passive=true&continue=https://www.google.com/&flowName=GlifWebSignIn&flowEntry=ServiceLogin&cid=1&navigationDirection=forward
    6. In 1Password 7.0.7, the password is auto-filled. In 1Password 7.1.BETA, the password in not auto-filled.

QRZ.com example:
    1. https://www.qrz.com/login
    2. Click Sign In (blue button, upper-right corner).
    3. Next page/screen/tab/whatever: https://www.qrz.com/login
    4. Open 1Password and select the account to sign in with. Click blue Next button.
    5. Next page/screen/tab/whatever: https://www.qrz.com/login
    6. In 1Password 7.0.7, the password is auto-filled. In 1Password 7.1.BETA, the password in not auto-filled.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @Toshen,

I hope you don't mind if I jump in but the conversation seems to be going in circles a bit for some unknown reason. You are correct, the likes of Amazon and Google (and no doubt others) don't use a page load between stages, they're just mucking about with the page dynamically to give that appearance. Needless UI is probably a good way of describing it. The old filling logic, the code still in 1Password 7.0.7 could, depending on the design, fill a stage that wasn't initially visible. The new filling logic does not.

I can't predict what will happen for future filing improvements or where all of this will eventually lead but at least for the immediate future it will mean an additional fill on these kind of pages. Some sites were always going to require two fills because the password field was dynamically created by JavaScript and simply didn't exist until after the first stage. In some ways this brings a certain consistency even if you're not a fan of the overall impact.

The reality is you could decide to stay with 7.0.7 for a while because of the filling but bug fixes and improvements to both 1Password and filling in general will only occur in the latest versions. I don't have a great answer for you, especially if you're not a keyboard shortcut fan. Being a fan and somebody who makes real use of both the shortcuts and navigating 1Password mini with the arrow keys it would probably drive me to fits of language unsuitable in a PG setting if I could only use a mouse so I do have some sympathy. I don't anticipate there being a quick resolution though given the filling logic has undergone a very large rewrite (we used to use Lua, now it's written in Go) and it's serving more of our clients than before. Over time I'm sure it will improve though.

• Toshen
    Toshen
    Community Member

Hi @littlebobbytables, thanks for acknowledging what I'm experiencing.

I don't use keyboard shortcut very often because of the way I use my computer, with my right hand almost always on a touch pad, and only my left hand on my keyboard much of the time; so two-key combination shortcuts, especially right-handed ones, aren't as easy as a couple quick taps on the touch pad.

I just changed the shortcut to a left-handed combo as a test, but that doesn't really improve things: with my right hand on the touchpad, it's one tap to open the 1Password extension and one tap to click the account login to use (which fills the user name) versus one keyboard shortcut press to open the 1Password extension and select the account matching the current page and another action--press Enter or tap--to cause the user name to be filled. In either case, 7.1.BETA forces the user to perform the 2-step sequence twice for every login.

Anyway, my whole reason for reporting this is the hope that the issue will get communicated to your UX designers as something to consider. For some people--or maybe just me--this is a significant change, and not an improvement.

Thanks again.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @Toshen,

So it sounds like you have multiple Login items (not that uncommon when the likes of Gmail is being discussed) and you need to select the correct one meaning ⌘\ isn't filling without further interaction. Is that an accurate assessment? Now for the second fill do you find that the same Login item is already highlighted i.e. if you had to use the mouse or arrow keys to select the correct Login item for the first stage that the navigation is not required for the second. 1Password 7 behaves a little differently to 1Password 6 in this regard and for a short period of time it remembers what the last focussed item was and defaults it to if 1Password mini is accessed again in this window. It should reduce the impact a little if it is working as expected but I still understand why you reached out to us. It is important for us to learn what is and isn't working especially as we can never obtain any form of metrics from our users. Sometimes progress can mean first seemingly taking a step backwards so all I can do is hope that eventually the gains outweigh the short-term impact.

• Toshen
    Toshen
    Community Member

Hello @littlebobbytables, yes, that's correct. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the additional details. Glad that lil bobby was able to help tie it all together. :)

This discussion has been closed.