1Password X and Firefox Sync in a multi-OS household

Options

I just signed up for the family subscription option and am pretty happy so far. Part of my reasoning was to finally have a browser-integrated version of 1Password (the 1Password X Firefox add-on) on my Linux systems. But I also have both Macs and Windows PCs in my household, which are using the desktop app.

I use a feature in Firefox called "Firefox Sync" to allow all my computers to sync their installed add-ons, bookmarks, etc. I've noticed the ordinary 1Password Firefox extension does not sync across systems with Firefox Sync - I'm not sure why, maybe because I downloaded it directly from 1Password.com instead of from Mozilla's site. However, Firefox automatically synced 1Password X onto my Windows and Mac systems. I would prefer to use the desktop app on systems that support it, but disabling 1Password X on one system will disable it across all my synced browsers.

Is there a recommended solution for this? I don't want to stop using Firefox Sync, but it's a little annoying to disable/re-enable 1Password X depending what computer I'm using.

It would be lovely if there was only one extension, that could operate either as an extension of the desktop app or as a standalone app depending on whether it detected the desktop app installed.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @krackle, and welcome to our forums! 👋

I must confess I don't use Firefox Sync myself so I haven't tested this myself, but Google gave me this tidbit of info that might be exactly what you need:

Can I have different enabled states on different machines?
    Yes. If you set the preference services.sync.addons.ignoreUserEnabledChanges to true in about:config (you may need to create this preference), Sync will not process changes to the enabled state of add-on records coming from the Sync server. However, that Sync client will still generate outgoing record changes, which means that local changes will propagate to clients not having that preference set.

If this preference is set to true, all add-on installs will be installed in the enabled state. However, you can immediately disable the add-on and incoming enabled state changes won't be applied. However, uninstalls will be applied.

I think this will allow you to sync both extensions to all your machines, while keeping the appropriate one enabled and the other one disabled. Hopefully that will work for you. Please give it a go and let us know how it turns out.

As for having one extension, you're right, that would be lovely and it's something we talk a lot about internally. At the moment it's not possible but it's certainly on our radar.

Take care @krackle and have yourself a great weekend. ☀️

++dave;

• krackle
    krackle
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @dteare! This looks like it does exactly what I need.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I didn't know about that either. Glad Dave was able to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.