Mac App Store

Comments

• So are you getting rid of the Family pack? I purchase that for both Mac and Windows because it is a perfect fit for us... If we need to buy it for each one of us on our Macs and then need to buy windows licenses for those of us that need Windows VMs, that isn't going to happen. Sorry.
  • jeaz wrote:

Grats on the MAS launch! Ironically, the MAS is sort of slowly removing my original reason for purchasing 1Password, which was to keep track of my license keys :-)

One question though, as far as I understand, there will be APIs for apps to store documents in iCloud once it launches. Are you planning to support this as an alternative to Dropbox?

Thank you!

Hopefully you'll still find other value in 1Password. :)

We are very excited about the possibilities iCloud offers and are investigating how we can get 1Password aboard. I don't have any news beyond that at this point.
  • joevano wrote:

So are you getting rid of the Family pack? I purchase that for both Mac and Windows because it is a perfect fit for us... If we need to buy it for each one of us on our Macs and then need to buy windows licenses for those of us that need Windows VMs, that isn't going to happen. Sorry.

Hi there

The MAS version can be installed on multiple computers:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4461
    (FAQ #1)

Windows licensing is unaffected.

Ben
  • shinratdr
    shinratdr
    Community Member
    stu wrote:

While there are many changes under the hood, the things you may notice about the Mac App Store version if you have used 1Password for Mac before are:

Considering all these limitations, is there any chance of maintaining a non-MAS version? Removing saving of the Master Password is deal breaker for me and I have so many entries in 1Password it would be hell to switch away. I'm also not willing to pay an extra $20 on the promise of 1Password 4 being good considering the limits that have already been imposed, so I'm going to miss the "upgrade window" too. I don't like this at all. MAS is fine for some things but MAS exclusivity is bad for apps that are overly limited by the sandbox.
  • shinratdr wrote:

Considering all these limitations, is there any chance of maintaining a non-MAS version? Removing saving of the Master Password is deal breaker for me and I have so many entries in 1Password it would be hell to switch away. I'm also not willing to pay an extra $20 on the promise of 1Password 4 being good considering the limits that have already been imposed, so I'm going to miss the "upgrade window" too. I don't like this at all. MAS is fine for some things but MAS exclusivity is bad for apps that are overly limited by the sandbox.

I am not aware of any definite plans either way at this point, however I can say with some certainty that our future is in the Mac App Store.
  • bepeacock
    bepeacock
    Community Member
    Thanks, Agile Staff. I went ahead and purchased. Followed your three steps and had no interruption in service whatsoever!
  • bepeacock wrote:

Thanks, Agile Staff. I went ahead and purchased. Followed your three steps and had no interruption in service whatsoever!

Great! Thanks for the update. Glad to hear it is working well for you.
  • mgshoutman
    mgshoutman
    Community Member
    roustem wrote:

Yes. Our plan is to make 1Password 4 available only in Mac App Store.

there is a difference between "planning" and 100% certainty. To me the current MAS price is an offer I can't refuse (having a family pack license) but I need to know 100% that 1Password 4 will be MAS only !: If so I buy immediately :)
  • honestly I dont understand the whole MAS hype especially as the drawbacks can easily be seen:

software gets crippled due to apples stupid policies and engineering towards new inventions may just not happen when apple decides not to allow a certain feature due to api's used or anything else they dont like, examples are already within the current version available:
    • Application "sandboxing" is in place for increased security and isolation from other applications. This places strict limits on what parts of your computer's hard drive(s) can be accessed. Only locations that Apple approves us to access are allowed.
      • yeah than you Apple ...

• Only one (1) 1Password data file allowed. You cannot switch between data files dynamically, either through 1Password preferences or by using the Finder.
      • thanks again, I like the multi password file feature and dont want to lose it to be honest, especially when having another one on a crypted usb stick for security reasons ...

• You only have two choices of location for the data file: within the installed sandbox of the application or in Dropbox (see below).
    • If you choose to sync your 1Password data using the free Dropbox service, the 1Password data file must live in a fixed folder of your Dropbox storage and the Dropbox folder *must be* located in your OS X account's home folder.
    • The data file's name will always be 1Password.agilekeychain.
    • Several menu items have been removed for simplification, mostly from the Tools menu.
    • Having 1Password store its Master Password in your OS X keychain is no longer available.
    • All older integration support for 1Password has been removed. The only browsers that will work are Safari, Google Chrome and Firefox.
      • so all other browsers are kicked, nice step - though I assume the EULA allows Agilebits in doing so ... as for all EULAs

• Deleting the 1Password application using LaunchPad will delete its sandboxed information -- your 1Password data as well -- unless you are using the Dropbox sync method.
    • Likewise for the 1Password data file backups: they will be deleted if you delete the application using LaunchPad.
    • Many of the 1Password Preference panes have been simplified.

Regarding pricing and stuff I'm not sure how this might turn out as I havent seen a single major update in the MAS and how this will turn out, could be a nightmare - update notifications on the MAS icon when you dont want to upgrade getting on your nerves as it goes for upgrades in the IOS environment when you dont have a supported IOS version being supported by the app - just looking into the blue ...

But focussing on the limitation Agilebits is going to accept by the regulations enforced in the MAS I personally doubt that there will be a version 4 for me if its not sold from the web site and does offer the same convenient features that made me buy and love the product.

I really would like to see a convincing statement form Agilebits why they have accepted the regulations and "crippled" their exiting software, removed functionality and already have decided to make version 4 only available via the MAS, as it is written on the MAS description and mentioned on the forum multiple times already. Also as we all know how easily pirated versions of MAS applications are finding their way into the web due to the limitation of implementing more advanced security measures into a product ...

To all who jump and shout, from my perspective its a wrong turn ..

Regards
    Steven ..

• there is a difference between "planning" and 100% certainty. To me the current MAS price is an offer I can't refuse (having a family pack license) but I need to know 100% that 1Password 4 will be MAS only !: If so I buy immediately :)

All signs point to yes. :)
  • terryzx
    terryzx
    Community Member
    Can I upgrade to the new Lion version through the App Store if I only use Lion on one computer since it still has way too many bugs? If so, what happens to the app in Snow Leopard since I use that on my main computer and will have to continue to do so until Apple gets all those bugs fixed.
  • Hi Terry,

Yes this is possible. Version 3.9 will continue to sync with version 3.8 on Snow Leopard.
  • Panman82
    Panman82
    Community Member
    I feel that I must voice my disappointment too. The Mac App Store should not be the only source for 1Password. I would rather pay YOU for the product rather than Apple, who takes a 30% cut. And with the limitations that MAS policies might impose down the road might limit future features, as mentioned before in this thread. Not fair in my opinion and I don't know why you'd limit yourself like this, bad business decision. I think that you're going to get a lot of flack for this...
  • mgshoutman
    mgshoutman
    Community Member
    edited September 2011
    bwoodruff wrote:

All signs point to yes. :)

thx, I just made a screenshot of the MAS description in case you change your mind ;)

btw. I am worried about the problems found with users using 1Password 3.8.4 together with Dropbox: before buying and upgrading to 3.9 I need to be sure if it can be fixed :)
  • We appreciate your perspective Panman82. So far the feedback has been very positive, but we realize that not everyone will be happy.
  • mgshoutman wrote:

thx, I just made a screenshot of the MAS description in case you change your mind ;)

btw. I am worried about the problems found with users using 1Password 3.8.4 together with Dropbox: before buying and upgrading to 3.9 I need to be sure if it can be fixed :)

I'm using 3.8 on one MacBook Pro and 3.9 (MAS) on another and syncing with Dropbox has given me no issues.
  • leicaman
    leicaman
    Community Member
    stu wrote:

Hi rr0ss0rr,

Well the main thing to note is that 1Password just hit the Mac App Store today, so it's new to everyone :-)

We haven't decided on the eventual plans on 1Password 4's upgrade route, all I can tell you is that you can get 1Password 3.9, with all the new Lion features, for $20 right now and that will also mean you'll get 1Password 4 through the Mac App Store when it's available.

I hope that helps,

Okay, that sounds like a good deal. But I have to ask, and this is critical for my decision to keep using 1Password on my Macs, iPad and iPhone. Can I export my data out of 1Password 3.9 and 4 on my Mac as some kind of delimited text file, and then import it in another location? Because Dropbox is not an option for me at work. It's blocked. Not only that, we can't migrate to Lion at all at work until Apple fixes the Active Directory bug that doesn't allow Lion to log into an Active Directory environment that has multiple domains.

Please let us know if the manual export/import option has not be removed because of some draconian Apple rule to get into the Mac App Store. The more I'm hearing, the more frustrating it is becoming for me as a big supporter of 1Password. That may have to change.
  • mgshoutman
    mgshoutman
    Community Member
    bwoodruff wrote:

I'm using 3.8 on one MacBook Pro and 3.9 (MAS) on another and syncing with Dropbox has given me no issues.

Thx Ben I do appreciate your kind words but at the moment there are too many problems here: http://forum.agilebits.com/index.php?/topic/8045-mac-app-store-installation-issues/ :)
  • Well... just registered to tell you that I own multiple licenses for mac, windows and iOS and will not accept your "upgrade" plans...

I am going to share with other people that I feel that you put your users into an unfair situation by cashing in money for a (already) crippled future version of your software without giving an upgrade plan to people which do not want to support Apples AppStore for different reasons.

I feel pitty for the people which think that they get a bargain...

I own multiple versions of the Software you want me to buy AGAIN... while promising me Updates which in the case of the current Browser extensions already are getting worse and worse in comparison with the same Product one year earlier!

I don't think that you mind or anything will change because I write here... Still I had to write it up... because I can't even send e-mails without getting told that you need more than 7 days to answer them... pathetic!
  • leicaman wrote:

Please let us know if the manual export/import option has not be removed because of some draconian Apple rule to get into the Mac App Store. The more I'm hearing, the more frustrating it is becoming for me as a big supporter of 1Password. That may have to change.

Unlock the app and then see File > Export All. We have two options: 1Password Interchange File (JSON) and Text File (csv). Note that neither of these files is encrypted, so please be careful where you store it!
  • OderWat wrote:

I own multiple versions of the Software you want me to buy AGAIN...

Just to be clear, we're not asking anyone to buy anything they don't already own. The setup is analogue to getting 1P3 MAS edition for free, and 1P4 at 1/2 price.
  • NovaScotian
    NovaScotian
    Community Member
    Wow -- are we to infer that those of us who use Leopard or Snow Leopard will not get any further updates? That's a serious question, because although I bought Lion, I have never installed it and the more I read about it, the less likely I am to do so. Should I be planning on storing my passwords some other way?
  • mgshoutman wrote:

Thx Ben I do appreciate your kind words but at the moment there are too many problems here: http://forum.agilebi...llation-issues/ :)

This does not appear to be Dropbox related at this point, simply a coincidence that Dropbox is in use (the percentage of our users that use Dropbox is rather large, so it isn't an unusual coincidence).

• Wow -- are we to infer that those of us who use Leopard or Snow Leopard will not get any further updates? That's a serious question, because although I bought Lion, I have never installed it and the more I read about it, the less likely I am to do so. Should I be planning on storing my passwords some other way?

MAS editions of 1Password will be Lion only. I don't have any news yet as to if there will be more updates for the 3.8 line of the product.
  • Disco Stew
    Disco Stew
    Community Member
    I have to say that I'm also extremely disappointed. I bought 1Password family license + iOS pro version less than week ago. I looked at several password managers several months, compared features and looked how I can adapt these to my workflow. I finally decided that although 1Password is the most expensive one and still has many shortcomings and missing little pieces, I can work with it and I'll buy it. I spent most of my evenings in this week with switching and now you are saying basically that I wasted my time and money because:
    • I'll not receive any more updates because I'll stay with Snow Leopard. No, I will not switch to Lion at least in 2011 and probably not even in 2012. Some hardware pieces I use (I'm working with professional audio) will not get a stable drivers before second half of 2012. Dropping support for OS version supported by Apple and forcing users to upgrade to the version out some months only is insane IMHO.
    • Dumbing a new version down is even worse. The possibility to use several keychains was one of vital features - the possibility to attach keychain only if really needed with USB key is very important part of my workflow.

I don't have any more to say that "Please tell me that you are not serious?!".
  • bepeacock
    bepeacock
    Community Member
    Macworld posted an article but it has very little information about the differences 3.9 brings, nor that paying again for it (for current users) will include the 4.0 upgrade. Trying to help out the angry comments in the forum, but the writer sure needs to update his article.
  • Is one of the limitations also that I cannot use my custom shortcut anymore? I'm very much used to using cmd-§ (using only one hand) in stead of the default. And I'd like to be able to change it back again.
  • JanuschM
    edited September 2011
    I understand nothing....

I run 3.8.4 .... So i become not a free Update to 4 ??

And when i buy the 1Password 3.9 from MAS now.... i will become free update to 4?

And when i don't buy from Mac Appstore the 3.8 become Updates when something is change or new bugs comes ? Or it will end the Support when 4 is coming ?

Please Answer
  • JOeMTC
    JOeMTC
    Community Member
    edited September 2011
    It seems a lot of the comments here on this thread are customers who are unhappy with the MAS integration. Are there those who are happy with it? Why are you happy to use the MAS version over the AgileBits Store (ABS?) version? Not even sure if this is the proper place for a such a discussion. I apologize if it is not.

Just trying to figure out my options and make an educated decision.

Thanks.

JOe
  • There is not even a 4.0 version I could evaluate.. (aka buy)... Sorry... that is marketing nothing else!

If you want to make something good: Make the AppStore Version free for some days. That way I may be tricked into giving the crippled version a try... Multiple keychains may work with moving files around.

BTW... you had promos going on in the past... Selling it to bundle buyers... With the AppStore version that is gone too I guess? Or will there be some day.. magically a Version 4.0 appear outside of the AppStore for the NEXT marketing campaing?

I am really disappointed in how your company act... I thought that 1Password is a kind of software which gives me less headaches and freedom... now it feels like getting put into a cage without having an opportunity. It was such a great product...
This discussion has been closed.