To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How do I revert from membership to previous license if I don't like new apps

spock999
spock999
Community Member

Hi,

I have a 1Password6 licence for MAC and am running across several devices. I intend trying the new membership with 1Password7 but it is not clear to me how I revert should I not be happy with the new system. I am just being careful so I understand how to revert if necessary.

My questions are: 1. Where would I download & install the old version from?, 2. Can I preserve the old vault given that I don't want to have a new Master Password?

I was also a bit confused about where my vault would be held - locally or on your servers.

Thanks.

1Password Version: 6 for Mac
Extension Version: Firefox latest
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6 & ios11
Sync Type: iCloud & Wi Fi

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi there @spock999

You can download 1Password 6 from our download page over at https://1password.com/downloads/. Links for the older versions are down at the bottom.

As for maintaining your old vault, switching to a 1Password membership doesn't touch your old vault. As part of the migration process, your data is copied over to the new membership vault. But this doesn't destroy the old vault data from whatever sync service you were using so far. If you decide that you don't want to stick with the membership, you can always just sync the old vault same as you have up until now.

If you have any troubles with the upgrade, let us know. We are always here. :)

• spock999
    spock999
    Community Member

Thanks for that.

I have been trying to upgrade to the single membership but without any success. Yesterday at about 3pm UK time and today at 10:08 but I have not yet received the email you promised for either attempt. I have looked in my spam folder and nothing. I have checked the email address that I used and it is correct. I even took a screenshot of the screen showing the address after the second attempt. For obvious reasons, I have no intention of posting it on the forum.

Something odd happening??

Thanks.

• spock999
    spock999
    Community Member

Sorry. I should have asked where do I go from here?

Thanks

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@spock999 That shouldn't be happening. I'm looking into it now. I'll get back to you soon.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@spock999

It appears that the emails were blocked and bounced by your email system, believing them to be spam. You will need to make sure they can get through in order to receive emails from us. Either that or use a different address.

• spock999
    spock999
    Community Member

OK Thanks. There is no sign of them on the BT system so they bounce without being recorded. I will look into it but one sure way is to put the email address into there that you use for sending stuff like that. Please advise.

Thanks

• spock999
    spock999
    Community Member

I have been investigating this issue and it seems that from time to time they (BT Yahoo) have this problem based upon their use of a 3rd party spam filter and it is likely that the filter is catching your email either inadvertently or because it is on a blocked list. I have raised a question on the appropriate forum (this is the thread - https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Emails-bouncing/td-p/1870858).

The odd thing is that your notification emails reach me based on an agilebits domain so perhaps it is reacting to the 1Password domain. However, hopefully I will get a useful response to my question.

My email addresses are based around British Telecomm so at the moment I don't have an alternative to use.

Thanks.

• @spock999

The odd thing is that your notification emails reach me based on an agilebits domain so perhaps it is reacting to the 1Password domain.

Those emails are sent from a different email address and an entirely separate mail system, so to be fair that isn’t that odd.

However, hopefully I will get a useful response to my question.

Indeed.

I will look into it but one sure way is to put the email address into there that you use for sending stuff like that.

Welcome/verification emails are sent from hello@1password.com

Ben

• spock999
    spock999
    Community Member

Thanks. They are asking on the BT Care forum (see link in my earlier post) what the bounce message says. It might be helpful if you could let me know.

Thanks.

• spock999
    spock999
    Community Member

Not much help on the BT Care Forum. They say that this happens from time to time and BT aren't too interested.

I have tried putting in your hello@1password.com address as a contact (which didn't help) but clearly emails are bounced at the BT server so they never even become visible to my account before rejection.

I do have an iCloud address but it is not an email account I have ever used at all. Once the 1Password account is set up will I be tied to receiving emails on the iCloud account and do you send out 1Password account emails from the 1Password domain.

Please advise.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018

@spock999: You could use the iCloud address for your account but have all mail there forwarded to your other email address. Not sure that will work for you if your ISP is blocking the emails, but it's worth a shot and will only take a minute to setup in iCloud:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH2642

• spock999
    spock999
    Community Member

Thanks for that. I am a bit surprised at the moment. I tried again with the BT address at around 12:15 prior to my last post. Nothing happened but at around 15:40 the email turned up in my inbox. I am not sure what has happened but it's a bit of a turn up!!

I now need to think about whether this is a one off because if I set it up and I have future problems, I will be a bit stuck.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That's a slight improvement at least. I don't think this is what we had in mind exactly when we setup the email verification, but certainly it's good to find out about an issue like this from the start rather than running into trouble down the road. Please keep us posted!

• spock999
    spock999
    Community Member

Yes I have been thinking!! I have just received another verify email on my BT account timed for receipt at 12:20 UK time. That looks promising. I just wonder if it came straight through or has been delayed. I had been thinking that the safest route was to use the iCloud address but it would be more convenient to use BT!

I have been a bit distracted over the last couple of days!!

• spock999
    spock999
    Community Member

So, having had a second reminder on the BT account about 48hrs after I tried to set up the account, I decided to risk it on BT. Set up the account OK but in the process it seems to have wiped my 1password6 vault or at least made it inaccessible.

I haven't seem or missed this Move items command when installing. I tried the import from 1Password 6 but of the two data items available; B5 says it will import 100 items but seems to lock before starting and 1Password is empty.

The email side of things seems to be working OK now.

Please advise how to proceed.

Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yes I have been thinking!! I have just received another verify email on my BT account timed for receipt at 12:20 UK time. That looks promising. I just wonder if it came straight through or has been delayed. I had been thinking that the safest route was to use the iCloud address but it would be more convenient to use BT!

@spock999: For what it's worth, I've had my iCloud email forwarding to my mail Gmail account for years and haven't had any issue (as far as I know: I wouldn't get an email telling me that I didn't get an email).

So, having had a second reminder on the BT account about 48hrs after I tried to set up the account, I decided to risk it on BT. Set up the account OK but in the process it seems to have wiped my 1password6 vault or at least made it inaccessible.

Can you elaborate on what you did? Even if you sign into a 1Password.com account in the app, that doesn't remove anything; you'd need to remove your original (local) vault yourself.

I haven't seem or missed this Move items command when installing. I tried the import from 1Password 6 but of the two data items available; B5 says it will import 100 items but seems to lock before starting and 1Password is empty.

Walk me through the steps you took. That should help narrow it down.

The email side of things seems to be working OK now. Please advise how to proceed.

Sure thing. That's good to hear at least.

• spock999
    spock999
    Community Member

After opening the account, I downloaded 1Password 7 and installed it. That made 1Password6 invisible along with its data. The data files I had visible were via the import command from 1Password 7. I suspect I don't need to give any more details.

From what you say, I imply that I should have logged into the account under 1Password6 before upgrading to 1Password7. I did look extensively at the info on your website before attempting all of this and I have to say I found it either sketchy (too high level!) or confusing to be truly helpful.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

After opening the account, I downloaded 1Password 7 and installed it. That made 1Password6 invisible along with its data. The data files I had visible were via the import command from 1Password 7. I suspect I don't need to give any more details.

@spock999: The only way that happens is if you had previously used multiple versions of 1Password — meaning from the website and from the App Store. Then you'd have two separate databases. Otherwise, with only one, 1Password 7 will just use that.

From what you say, I imply that I should have logged into the account under 1Password6 before upgrading to 1Password7. I did look extensively at the info on your website before attempting all of this and I have to say I found it either sketchy (too high level!) or confusing to be truly helpful.

I'm not sure that would have made a difference in this case, but that could work. What option did you choose when you ran 1Password 7 for the first time? I haven't heard anyone else describe our guide for migrating to a 1Password.com account as "sketchy" or "confusing", but if you have suggestions for how we can improve it we're happy to hear them!

• spock999
    spock999
    Community Member

On my MBP and on my iMac I downloaded the app from your website and that is the only source. I can't remember which I did first if that matters but my license dates back to late March 16.

I also have 1Password on 2 ios devices and from memory obtained the free app from the app store and synched to the one vault. I kept it as simple as possible. So far I have only addressed 1Password7 and the account on my MBP as I wanted to get it correct and working first before dealing with the other devices.

In the applications folder, I have 1Password7, 1Password6.app.zip and a folder called 1Password Archive. I can't be much help about what options I took as I just opened it set my personal details and looked at the Welcome Info. Nothing obvious to me about migrating data.

Regarding the help info, I will have a look separately. I try to read about things and understand them before I do anything. Your documentation didn't give me that understanding. To be fair, it is also a problem I often have with apple documentation. There seems to be an underlying feeling that it is fairly intuitive and that there is no need to go into detail. My mind doesn't quite work that way and it can leave me dissatisfied.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@spock999: Thank you for your reply! No problem. As far as feedback, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you happen to think of anything, just let us know. We're listening. :)

As far as moving forward to get you sorted, I'd like you to generate a diagnostic report so we can take a look at your setup and give you next steps to proceed:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@1password.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#YHN-14239-375]

If you’re reading this and you are not spock999, this Support ID is for spock999 only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link it to our current conversation. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: YHN-14239-375

• spock999
    spock999
    Community Member

Done and should be with you soon.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@spock999: Got it! I'll look it over and we'll continue the conversation via email. :)

• spock999
    spock999
    Community Member

Have you received my two follow on emails dated 15 & 17 August?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@spock999: Indeed, I'll reply to you there shortly.

This discussion has been closed.